If it wasn't for Drummerworld...

Something else I've learned from DW: I am apparently special when it comes to sticks, make and model don't matter at all. I can use anything to play. I have VF, Promark, and Vater sticks in the bag in 7A, 5A, 5B, and 2B and I use whatever. I have even mixed sizes for differing effects.
I have an allergic reaction to Promark sticks. I'm sure it has something to do with an early transition from rock playing to jazz. They just look too heavy for me. I'm afraid if I touch a pair my technique will go out the window.

... I wouldn't know I want to be just like Uncle Larry when I grow up!

Seriously, what an awesome human being.

As for me, I haven't met many folks from Drummerworld because I just don't get out and about much, but I have gotten so much camaraderie, information, and entertainment from this board over the years, it's impossible to quantify. To say it has been an important part of my life for a long time would be an understatement.

Thank you Bernhard, and all my long-distance friends here.

When I joined Drummerworld back in 2004, I was an annoying 16-year-old with a lot to say and only a couple of brain cells. Now I'm 33, with a bit less to say and still fewer brain cells. However, I like to think that this place has indulged me for long enough for me to feel comfortable and it has had a considerable impact in my life.

I'm honoured to have met a great number of you over the years. Obviously, Larry and his extraordinary generosity putting us up when we visited the States a few years back was an absolute highlight. I got to jam in a blues bar in New Jersey thanks to you, which really is pretty cool to a posh bloke from Kent. That was great. Your studio downstairs was amazing too and we had a lovely meal out - honestly it made our trip. It was great. The only regret is we couldn't see more of you and the local area!

Andy - obviously. It's always been a real pleasure and once again, extraordinary generosity. I have a snare drum that I'll pass down to a younger generation one day and you're always both wise and hilarious company.

Madge, I f&$*ing love you and I hope you see this. You're brilliant. Just brilliant. Everyone loves you and they're right to.

Ben, Henri, Grea, Caz, Jon, David, Michele. You all know how I feel and my only regret is that I don't see more of you and that I don't play enough of the drums any more. There are so many more of you and I'm sorry if I've missed anyone - which I'm sure I have. You're all a bit brilliant.

IMG_1001.jpeg

IMG_2713.jpeg

Last edited:
No one can top the Andy story. Drummerworld gives me a place I can talk about my craft when 99% of others I talk about it to could give a shit.

I was just thinking the same thing!!

and echoing all that have said that the forum is a great, civil, "oasis" in the other wise trash pit of the internet/social media world

I am definitely a noob to the community, but feel like I have been accepted in, and have learned a lot, been forced to relook at the way i play, teach, and interact in my own little Drummerworld here in Ohio.

I think it is very cool how ALL of our Drummerworlds intertwine via this forum, and hope there are more meetings to come!! As playing live starts to become more of a thing, it will also bbe cool to see and meet some of the other Ohio people on the forum (or other states if I travel further abroad). Also has been an honor, and a great time to be interacting with some friends from Europe now via Zoom lessons with @nicholasBR

This place is very cool, a wealth of information & knowledge and I’ve met and spent time with a number of members in person, which makes it even better.

Not going to name names (or even usernames!) in fear of missing people off, but you know who you are - unless you don’t.

Looking forward to catching up in person with people when this pandemic is over.

DrummerWorld allows me to talk drums whenever I want. Because of this, I've gotten to meet all of you fantastic folks. The depth of personality and experience on board is astounding. One can find info about ANYTHING here if you just look around. And like many others, my long lost sibling exists here too.

DW has made me a better drummer. I like finding fun things to learn in the Technique section. The fact that teachers actively participate on the site makes learning even better.

I have found so much good music because of DW. This is a gift in itself.

And because of DW, other drummers can laugh at this:
FB_IMG_1628788203634.jpg

I have an allergic reaction to Promark sticks. I'm sure it has something to do with an early transition from rock playing to jazz. They just look too heavy for me. I'm afraid if I touch a pair my technique will go out the window.
I went to Regal Tip maple for jazz. Thin and very light. I had trouble with other brand's thin maples sliding a lot in my hand, but the finish on Regal Tip makes them easy to grip with no slipping. There were posts on DW about Regal Tip and that's how I discovered them.

I went to Regal Tip maple for jazz. Thin and very light. I had trouble with other brand's thin maples sliding a lot in my hand, but the finish on Regal Tip makes them easy to grip with no slipping.
I've only owned Regal Tips for practice pad use or just plain novelty. The finish is too pretty to be used in regular drumset play. Vic Firth is the stick of choice for me - Buddy Rich signature sticks are what I'm playing in a blues/hard rock band now.

H3SsoFt.png

To be fair, the UK isn't a massive place and most of the people I've met (save for Grea and Larry) are UK-based. Usually at drum shows. Over here it's 837 miles from the very furthest points (Land's End to John O' Groats) and realistically you're never much more than eight hours in the car away from somebody else - so it's quite possible to get from one side of the country to the other and back in a long weekend.

Then there are those like Larry and Grea who decide to make the trip over. And they are always, always welcome and their extraordinary effort is something else!

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Everybody else on DW is running around and hanging out together while I'm here on this keyboard....lol
You're not alone brother.

Very cool experiences - loved the reads to bring it all in.

All members here are alike, in the foundation’s sense that we have a passion for drums and music.

Hell, if it weren’t for the forum (or any drum forum I’d have initially joined - this happened to be the first) I’d probably not know what the term GAS meant - something I think is highly catalytic for the movement’s wake.

Though I’m no one special, I wouldn’t turn down a meet up as well as I would look forward to having one with any of you folks.

Back