If I had $1000 (or the equivalent) to spend on drum gear, I would buy..........

cdrums21

Gold Member
I know what I'd buy, the Porter & Davies gigster. I'm super happy with my kit, snares and cymbals. I don't have the ability to rehearse at home due to my home owners association and neighbors frowning upon me playing drums in my garage. So, I rent a small studio space in Atlanta, but the acoustics in the room are lacking, in particular, the kick drum sound. It get's lost in the overall sound, and it's a 24" kick drum! A BC-gigster would probably solve the issue and make my rehearsing/jamming much more enjoyable. But alas, I haven't $1000 in drum related fundage. I can dream though!

I'd select a Pearl Music City Custom solid-shell snare drum. They're handmade in Nashville, TN. Gorgeously forged and with a focused sound. I'd go with a 14"x5", as I don't like snares deeper than 5.5". See the attached specimen:

Attachments

• Pearl Music City Custom.jpg
    Pearl Music City Custom.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I've have a little over that squirreled away (a rewards plan at work) that I'm continuing to build on, with the plan to buy a complete new set of cymbals, all around the kit. Haven't narrowed it down as to what I'm gonna end up with, between what I want vs what I'll have to spend....but its fun thinking about.

I would buy mics, wires, mounts & stands, a 6+ channel mixing board, and a basic but quality software program like protools.

I'm not trying to start a studio or become a producer or even record entire albums at my home BUT I do have many musician friends and family members all around the country that I would love to colab with easily as well as work with a few different musicians in my immediate area. Having the ability to record myself and have those tracks be album quality (or atleast be able to be sent off for mixing and mastering to become album quality) is invaluable to me. My drums sound fine, I'd rather have a basic recording set up then a second kit or some extra cymbals.

If we are talking actual drum gear, I'd get an Ekit because I could do the same as above but without the mics.

20.00 a week stashed into a can possible? In a year you can go out and get that brand new shiny piece of gear with negotiating power.

I don't smoke, gave up drinking. Morning's I make coffee at home and gave up the $4.00 @day cup of java at the trendy shops a few years ago.
Now it's spent instead on gear that my kids will have to figure out what to do with someday...

Last edited:
I'd select a Pearl Music City Custom single-shell snare drum. They're handmade in Nashville, TN. Gorgeously forged and with a focused sound. I'd go with a 14"x5", as I don't like snares deeper than 5.5". See the attached specimen:
Sweet looking drum. By single shell, do you mean solid shell as in no seams? Have you heard one in person? After some research, I see it is a solid shell drum. Nice, bet it sounds great. What wood would you select? I see walnut, maple, ash.....decisions..decisions..:)

Sweet looking drum. By single shell, do you mean solid shell as in no seams? Have you heard one in person? After some research, I see it is a solid shell drum. Nice, bet it sounds great. What wood would you select? I see walnut, maple, ash.....decisions..decisions..:)

Yeah, my brain just processed "single" instead of "solid." Solid shell was my intention. I've edited my previous statement for correctness.

I'd go cherry or maple. I haven't heard one in person, but they sounded nice in a demo I listened to. With a drum of such craftsmanship, aesthetics are a big part of the appeal. The beauty of the drum probably outshines its sonic output. Most decent snares can be tuned to sound great in my experience. The only reason to spend big bucks is if you value some other aspect of the drum.

A Pearl rack, and all the clamps and mini boom arms to put everything where I want. Any leftover cash would go to heads, sticks, and maybe a cymbal or two.

I know what I'd buy, the Porter & Davies gigster. I'm super happy with my kit, snares and cymbals. I don't have the ability to rehearse at home due to my home owners association and neighbors frowning upon me playing drums in my garage. So, I rent a small studio space in Atlanta, but the acoustics in the room are lacking, in particular, the kick drum sound. It get's lost in the overall sound, and it's a 24" kick drum! A BC-gigster would probably solve the issue and make my rehearsing/jamming much more enjoyable. But alas, I haven't $1000 in drum related fundage. I can dream though!

I'm looking at a new Gretsch kit right now - so pretty soon I'll be spending a little more than that trying to keep up with @AzHeat.

Yeah, my brain just processed "single" instead of "solid." Solid shell was my intention. I've edited my previous statement for correctness.

I'd go cherry or maple. I haven't heard one in person, but they sounded nice in a demo I listened to. With a drum of such craftsmanship, aesthetics are a big part of the appeal. The beauty of the drum probably outshines its sonic output. Most decent snares can be tuned to sound great in my experience. The only reason to spend big bucks is if you value some other aspect of the drum.
I just watched a video on the 14x5 maple from Memphis drum shop and that drum sounded great at a medium tuning. Nice thick fat attack with a beautiful after tone. Really nice. Beautiful to look at as well.

I just watched a video on the 14x5 maple from Memphis drum shop and that drum sounded great at a medium tuning. Nice thick fat attack with a beautiful after tone. Really nice. Beautiful to look at as well.

Stop! You're tempting me to make the purchase. I just sold my 14x5 Pearl Sensitone aluminum, so I'm down to my main snare, a 14x5.5 Pearl Session Studio Select (Birch/African mahogany), a truly excellent drum. I'll be getting a backup, of course, and have considered going for one of the Pearl Music City Custom beauties we're discussing. The problem is that it's just not a practical option for gigging and so on. It's almost a museum exhibit I'd want to shut off from public access.

I may very well just get a second Session Studio Select snare in the same size but in a different finish. That's how much I love the drum.

One thing that caught my eye pre-Covid was the Yamaha Hip kit. Once they make it here, I will probably grab one. Perfect for rehearsals, and gigs on cozy stages.

Hmm. I'd buy a Zildjian 18" A or K crash cymbal. I'd then have a 7x10 tom and a 16x16 tom made to match my current Slingerland Stage Band kit with white marine pearl wrap and those great center lugs, complete with the correct date appropriate Slingerland badges. I'd probably have Chicago Drum Company make them for me. Then I'd be all set with my own semi-custom 7 piece Slingerland Stage Band set.

I'm a snare nut and I'm good for kits/cymbals so £1,000 would either be a vintage Radio King (14x7) or a Gretsch USA Custom Bell Brass snare

Back