If drums were cars...

edvia

If you had to equate a drum manufacturer to a car manufacturer, how would you pair them up (and why)? Below are a few examples that come to mind:

Gretsch = Mercedes-Benz
Both are classic, iconic brands that have been around forever. And even though Gretsch is an American company and M-B is German, it was founded by Friedrich Gretsch who was a German immigrant.

Ludwig = Cadillac
Both are high-end, distinctly American brands, and both seemed to have lost their way at some point around the 1980s, but have since rebounded and are better than ever.

Sonor = BMW
The latest in German engineering. The Ultimate Drumming Machine. Need I say more?

Pearl = Toyota
Drums for the masses equates to cars for the masses, plus both are Japanese in origin but have a strong US presence. Plus you could argue that their higher-end kits (Reference, Masters, etc.) are equivalent to Lexus.

Yamaha = Honda
Both are Japanese, both make a lot of various types of products (for example, Yamaha makes everything from flutes to A/V equipment, Honda makes everything from lawnmowers to human-like robots, and they both make motorcycles), and both have been very innovative over the years.

Tama = Nissan
I don't really have a good argument for this one other than they're both Japanese and they've both made a lot of interesting products over the years. But since Pearl fits Toyota/Lexus and Yamaha fits Honda so well, this seems to make sense to me.

Mapex = Hyundai
Both have Asian origins and started out crappy, but have gotten good over time.

Premier = Jaguar
The classic British brand. But it also makes me think of MG, since you're starting to see fewer and fewer of them in the US these days.

Haven't thought of a good one for DW. Even though phonetically it's similar to BMW, there really aren't any other similarities I can think of (plus, I think Sonor fits BMW so well). And since DW is American, I'm thinking it should be compared to an American car, but nothing comes to mind that seems to work.

Anyone else have any thoughts on good drum/car manufacturer combos?

Premier I would compare to MG/Rover more than Jaguar as they seem to have lost fashion as of late and I hardly ever see a new Premier kit, only old 80's power kits. In my opinion.

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
Anyone else have any thoughts on good drum/car manufacturer combos?
Nope, not yet.... but I'll think about it for a day or two.

All your entries are a good match, but Nissan, The Strongest Name In Cars, doesn't fit the bill for me... I'll think about that... either for Nissan or for Tama....

Andy, any idea that spring to your mind for Guru drums? ...AC Cobra? Westfield? Noble?

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
DW = Ford F150. Chunky build with lots of excess metal work, & everyone's (at least in NA) got one, or knows someone who has. Usually badly tuned.

Lucky for me, I'm away for the next couple of days ;)

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Andy, any idea that spring to your mind for Guru drums? ...AC Cobra? Westfield? Noble?
Oooh, we crossed posts. Guru, hmmm. Existing range = Morgan +8. New series? There ain't a car yet invented that's worthy ;) ;) ;), I suppose a McLaren F1 gets somewhere close :)

mikel

Platinum Member
DW= BMW. Very good but spoiled by a lot of people who play/drive them because of what they think they say about the owner, rather than because they actually like them.

Oooo, have I overstepped the mark?

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Oooo, have I overstepped the mark?
Nope, I already did that in post no:4!

Guru prototype= Ferrari, Lamborghini, Lotus and Duesenberg, all wrapped up in one.
Thanks Larry :) :) :) (the freebie's in the post ;) )

Now then, as Edvia's been brave enough to assign Mapex to Hyundai, any suggestions what model the "Saturn" is? Sticks?

Red Menace

Platinum Member
Not really a car but I would compare Ludwig to Harley Davidson.

A classic American brand that has had some trouble in recent decades but is working to improve their image and product. Many fans insist that the older models are superior to the newer one and scoff at minor innovations to classic models. Also some manufacturing has been moved overseas.

Not hating on Luddy or Harley. I love my Acrolite and wish I had the money for a Sportster....and a COB Supra.

Hmm... DW is a tough one. Newer American company that is enjoying immense success recently but also a bit of scorn because of their unconventional looks. Reminds me of the PT Cruiser. That damned car is ugly but I hear it's a great machine.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Yugo = ????
hahaha, my wife had one of those in 1990. Horrendous car. Promised much with high profile endorsements, but knowingly put out substandard product. I've no idea what drum company that could possibly align with ;) ;) ;)

What about Wartburg? Moskvich? A lovely pair of Iron Curtain wonders. Any takers? It's a good competition between the two for the "worst ever" title. The Wartburg was 2 stroke, & the Moskvitch had a petrol (gas) powered heater (no safety issues whatsoever with that!). Tough call :)

Apart from aligning D---- to Yugo (doh, that slipped dammit), I vote the belt powered yellow DAF33 as aligning with the Spongebob Squarepants kit (have you seen that double bass drum kit on Youtube? Got to get one of those, even better, gig it!!!).

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Hmm... DW is a tough one. Newer American company that is enjoying immense success recently but also a bit of scorn because of their unconventional looks. Reminds me of the PT Cruiser. That damned car is ugly but I hear it's a great machine.
hahaha, perfect analogy. One tiny flaw in your comparison summary though, THE PT CRUISER DRIVES LIKE A RICE PAPER SACK OF SHIT ON A RAINY DAY! Possibly one of the worst cars I've ever driven (for a more comprehensive list of history's crap cars according to Andy, see my post below) :) :) :)

edvia

I'm impressed with the work put into this analysis. Good job.

Yugo = ????
Thanks, larryz. I was hoping this would generate some interesting responses, so now that I'm back from a long lunch (you gotta love slow work weeks due to the holidays), I see that you guys didn't disappoint.

As far as comparing Ludwig to Harleys, it's funny that you brought that up, Red Menace, as that thought popped into my head while I was at lunch.

edvia

It just now occurred to me that DW is phonetically closer to VW than BMW. But that still doesn't really help. If you put four DW lugs side-by-side that would remind me a bit of the Audi logo, but I think that's still a bit of a stretch...

edvia

Here's an obvious one that just occurred to me:

Pork Pie = Harley-Davidson
They're both HOGS!