If chops matter then, why are Ringo and Lars

$ <> technical ability

Reactions: TMe
to say Ringo didn't have chops is kinda dumb innit? He invented a way to play- had to- to accompany who he was accompanying.
his situation, tea towels..Pretty inventive..He discovered a way. he didn't sit back there and play a two four always something special some trademark twist err "naturally". His fills are legend.
All this. Well, most of it- I wouldn't say the tea towels are "chops"- more of a sound engineering method. But yeah, being inventive doesn't necessarily mean "add busier chops". His chops fit the music he was making with his bandmates exceedingly well. I can't think of a single moment in their catalog where inverted double paraflippity-doowopadiddle 32nd notes in a 13/8 over 4/4 polythythm would have improved it.

I can't think of a single moment in their catalog where inverted double paraflippity-doowopadiddle 32nd notes in a 13/8 over 4/4 polythythm would have improved it.
However, for a band making hit records there are quite a few complex drum parts and more than one song with odd time signatures.

At my level of drumming (local bar band) chops aren't nearly as important as qualities like reliability, professionalism and getting along with others. I'm proof that you can be a marginal drummer and still be in great demand.

I learned this almost 25 years ago. I was playing in a classic rock/blues band. Musically, we were just OK but we excelled in other "boring" criteria like just showing up on time, keeping the volume under control and being nice to people. Another band in town was just the opposite. They were profoundly better musicians than us, but struggled in all the "boring" categories. It wasn't long for venues to dump these guys in favor of us.

My full time job had me working alongside a couple of the guys from this other band. I avoided band talk for the most part as it always got uncomfortable. When we did talk music, I could see problems. Their attitudes is what got them fired from venues. These guys would show up to venues late, unprepared, take long breaks and play way too loud. Even though they were a way better band than us, no venue will tolerate that nonsense for very long.

All this. Well, most of it- I wouldn't say the tea towels are "chops"- more of a sound engineering method. But yeah, being inventive doesn't necessarily mean "add busier chops". His chops fit the music he was making with his bandmates exceedingly well. I can't think of a single moment in their catalog where inverted double paraflippity-doowopadiddle 32nd notes in a 13/8 over 4/4 polythythm would have improved it.
Revolution No. 9 would have been better with inverted double paraflippity-doowopadiddle 32nd notes in a 13/8 over 4/4 polyrhythm.

Also, the end of Tomorrow Never Knows.

chops have nothing to do with it.... they play with great Song Writers and are both Great Song writers as well. Plus
they were at their peak during the album Rock Era when records and Cd's were king. Nobody starting today will ever touch them financially.
Don't be too sure about that Dave Grohl probably has just as much $ His estimated Networth is 320 Mil while Lars is 350 mil and Ringo's is also $350. Both Lars and Ringo are closer to being done for good than Grohl who still has a few more years to increase that sum...

Don't be too sure about that Dave Grohl probably has just as much $ His estimated Networth is 320 Mil while Lars is 350 mil and Ringo's is also $350. Both Lars and Ringo are closer to being done for good than Grohl who still has a few more years to increase that sum...
Nobody STARTING today will ever touch them. Grohl has been around for 20 years

If that was true Death Metal drummers would be loaded and Phil from ACDC would be poor...
See what I mean? Literally, every time I hear a guy playing a lot of notes, it makes me feel nervous. I would CRINGE if I had to listen to myself playing with a band when I was in college! Thank god my life was pre-internet!

Life isn't based on fairness.

Buddy Rich Big Band
Buddy was probably the richest

I watch a local guy drum and wondered at some of his odd playing mannerisms and grimaces while playing. Then it hit me.
He's grown up trying to mimic Buddy Rich's appearance.

well,and yes, if you compare DRUMMER-LED bands
you'd still have Ringo since what 1998 All Stars
Ghrol since post nitrvana
Phil Collins sort of had an own band

but think back before color TV..
Buddy Rich Big Band
Art Blakey Messengers
Max Roach and maybe a few others

Buddy was probably the richest

ever of Drummer led

when drummers go out on their own

See what I mean? Literally, every time I hear a guy playing a lot of notes, it makes me feel nervous. I would CRINGE if I had to listen to myself playing with a band when I was in college! Thank god my life was pre-internet!
Clearly I'm a much better player than I was 36 years ago, but I wish I had video from back then, I don't mind seeing how I progressed.
Nobody starts playing and is immediately good.
I was never terrible because I never attempted to play anything that was way out of my league. (When playing with a band).

Playing alone in my drum room is different I can miss all kinds of things and still be ok since I'm learning.

I never used band practice time to "learn" the songs, I knew the songs, we just had to fine tune them as a band.

Internet or no internet, which of course I grew up pre internet, there is a time to learn and there is a time to play.

Clearly I'm a much better player than I was 36 years ago, but I wish I had video from back then, I don't mind seeing how I progressed.
Nobody starts playing and is immediately good.
I was never terrible because I never attempted to play anything that was way out of my league. (When playing with a band).

Playing alone in my drum room is different I can miss all kinds of things and still be ok since I'm learning.

I never used band practice time to "learn" the songs, I knew the songs, we just had to fine tune them as a band.

Internet or no internet, which of course I grew up pre internet, there is a time to learn and there is a time to play.
I had a hard time knowing when to differentiate 😂🙀

Back