Identify this Gretsch Kit

shaneo

Got a great deal on a Gretsch kit off craigslist from a kid that didn't know what he had. Now I'm the owner of that kit and I still don't quite know what I've got...

The prior owner said this kit was 6-8 years old. It appears to be maple in a deep red lacquer finish with natural hoops on the 22x16 bass. It's a fusion configuration with the standard GTS suspension system for the toms which are mounted on the bass (with the floor tom suspended from the cymbal stand). Straight up "Catalina Maple" you say? That's what I'm thinking, but the badge has me thrown...

The badge is very similar to this one: http://www.musicnow.com.au/drums/gretsch/img/home/gretsch_logo.jpg except there's no "USA" on it...and it's in PEWTER! The Gretsch badge history page doesn't reference the existence of this badge.

My guess is that this is from a Catalina Maple kit before they started doing the actual "Catalina Maple" badges on them. That said, I've never seen a Catalina kit that didn't have a Catalina badge.

I can post pics if that would help, but I figure the bright/experienced folks around here are likely to have an answer in their back pocket anyway.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Shane O.

Got a great deal on a Gretsch kit off craigslist from a kid that didn't know what he had. Now I'm the owner of that kit and I still don't quite know what I've got...

The prior owner said this kit was 6-8 years old. It appears to be maple in a deep red lacquer finish with natural hoops on the 22x16 bass. It's a fusion configuration with the standard GTS suspension system for the toms which are mounted on the bass (with the floor tom suspended from the cymbal stand). Straight up "Catalina Maple" you say? That's what I'm thinking, but the badge has me thrown...

The badge is very similar to this one: http://www.musicnow.com.au/drums/gretsch/img/home/gretsch_logo.jpg except there's no "USA" on it...and it's in PEWTER! The Gretsch badge history page doesn't reference the existence of this badge.

My guess is that this is from a Catalina Maple kit before they started doing the actual "Catalina Maple" badges on them. That said, I've never seen a Catalina kit that didn't have a Catalina badge.

I can post pics if that would help, but I figure the bright/experienced folks around here are likely to have an answer in their back pocket anyway.

Shane O.

LOL, I am not one of those bright/experienced folks, but that being said, I would still love to see a post of that kit anyway...I mean why leave us drooling in our heads with nothing to look at...GIVE US THAT DRUM SHOT

So...a response and some more info...

- Pics? Sure, as soon as I get the heads changed, shells cleaned up a bit, the chrome polished, and the whole thing put back together...hopefully by tomorrow night.

And after further research, I've come to the conclusion that this is most likely a "Catalina Elite" series kit, as the sizes match, the plys match, there was a shell pack that matched the sizes of mine, and the natural maple bass hoops are in place. That said, it doesn't explain the badge, which is still inconsistent with everything else I've read/seen on the Catalina Elite series.

Stay tuned for more...

Shane O.

So...a response and some more info...

- Pics? Sure, as soon as I get the heads changed, shells cleaned up a bit, the chrome polished, and the whole thing put back together...hopefully by tomorrow night.

And after further research, I've come to the conclusion that this is most likely a "Catalina Elite" series kit, as the sizes match, the plys match, there was a shell pack that matched the sizes of mine, and the natural maple bass hoops are in place. That said, it doesn't explain the badge, which is still inconsistent with everything else I've read/seen on the Catalina Elite series.

Stay tuned for more...

Shane O.

OK, we will wait...WAIT for that pic but can ya hurry a bit...by TONIGHT! COME WE ARE IMPATIENT...ROFL

Shane O.

I don't think what you've got there is any second rate lower class Gretsch, I think that's the top of the line in the mid 1980's vintage. (1985 to 1989ish?) I had a set in Ebony and I wish I'd never gotten rid of them, 2 of my close drumming buddies still have their 1980's Gretsch drums, and all with the same badge.

There are a few different years that they used that shape, but they didn't say USA and the colors were different than the one you're showing.

Here are the pics, as promised. And a few additional notes:

• Note the square badge, but no "USA" or "Since 1883", in PEWTER
  • It's hard to see, but the drums don't have the "silver sealer", and there is not label/serial number inside the shells.
  • The bass-drum mounted toms seem to put this in the Catalina series, but it's not a typical Catalina badge
  • The bearing edge of the shells seem to be 30 degree bevels, not 45s. I thought all Catalinas were 45s.
  • Natural maple hoops on the bass.
  • I can't identify the wood. Could these be mahogany (I though it was darker than this) and these are an early Catalina Elite series?

Thanks for your help/expertise in identifying these...

Attachments

• gretsch_kit_full.jpg
    gretsch_kit_full.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 6,724
  • gretsch_kit_badge.jpg
    gretsch_kit_badge.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 7,308
  • gretsch_kit_close.jpg
    gretsch_kit_close.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 7,811

• It's hard to see, but the drums don't have the "silver sealer", and there is not label/serial number inside the shells.
  • The bass-drum mounted toms seem to put this in the Catalina series, but it's not a typical Catalina badge
  • The bearing edge of the shells seem to be 30 degree bevels, not 45s. I thought all Catalinas were 45s.
  • I can't identify the wood. Could these be mahogany (I though it was darker than this) and these are an early Catalina Elite series?

All I can tell you is it's "relatively" new due to the bass drum and tom mounts and the isolation mounts on each tom. Those are the mounts they currently have on their website. I'd also say yes to the Catalina idea without the silver interiors. Might be the now defunct Catalina Birch setup as I believe it was available in the same color. Looks pretty sweet whatever it is!!!

All I can tell you is it's "relatively" new due to the bass drum and tom mounts and the isolation mounts on each tom. Those are the mounts they currently have on their website. I'd also say yes to the Catalina idea without the silver interiors. Might be the now defunct Catalina Birch setup as I believe it was available in the same color. Looks pretty sweet whatever it is!!!

Yup -- I thought the same thing (Catalina Birch) for a little bit, but the bearing edge angle is wrong (these have the classic Gretsch 30 degree edge) and the lug count is wrong on the 10" tom (it's 6 vs. 5 on the CB). Of course, they could have been recut, but there's enough stain/lacquer on the edge to make me think not -- and that doesn't address the lug count problem, unless they had different specs at different times.

Yup -- I thought the same thing (Catalina Birch) for a little bit, but the bearing edge angle is wrong (these have the classic Gretsch 30 degree edge) and the lug count is wrong on the 10" tom (it's 6 vs. 5 on the CB). Of course, they could have been recut, but there's enough stain/lacquer on the edge to make me think not -- and that doesn't address the lug count problem, unless they had different specs at different times.
Gretsch is weird like that, just when you think you've got the timeline figured out you'll find a quirk in there that messes up your perfect story!!

A friend of mine has a set of these and I think they sound great! I go to hear them play every once in a while and I find it amazing that these Catalina's really can cut it, so much so that I purchased a set of the Mahogany Catalina Club Rock in the now defunct Green Sparkle that was sitting around Guitar Center unsold for a long time. BRAND NEW!!! I got 'em for $650.00 American!! A 26 inch kick will usually cost you ALL of that so I thought it was a good price and scarfed 'em up!
A 26in Kick, a 13in Rack, a 16in Floor and an 18in Floor, all for $650!! I'm cool with that!!

It's my thought too, I'm mostly sure you're right.

Really? Even though the 10" tom has six lugs (vs. 5 on the Catalina Birch)? Also, I haven't found any Catalina Birch that have the natural maple hoops on the bass, and the bearing edge angle is wrong...

I've been leaning toward Catalina Elite.

Shane O.

Look which kit mainedrummer77 posted in his thread in "Your Place - Your gear" section.

attachment.php

Then you have probably nailed it, only the badge and bearing edge differ http://www.gretschdrums.com/?fa=catarchives

that is an absolute beautiful kit...NICE FIND very nice

here is a little history.

http://www.gretschdrums.com/?fa=historybadges

The Catalina Elite and the Catalina Stage say that on the badges.

The eighth badge came in 1998. The Broadkaster Badge, or Square Badge #4. It is exactly like a square badge, but is pewter-colored instead of sepia. Championed by then-endorser Harvey Mason, the Broadkaster sets feature gun-metal hardware and satin-finished shells. (By 2002, another satin-finished set premiered, using SQ#4. A hybrid, Gretsch USA Maple featured American-made shells with import chrome hardware. 1998 also saw signature drums for both Harvey Mason and Vinnie Colaiuta, featuring facsimiles of their respective signatures on exclusive black Gretsch square badges.

Hey, Just got this kit and was wondering if this is the same as the one in previous pictures. It has no USA on badge which is not identified in badge history. I also got this tag with the hardware and from the look of the print it kinda looks from the eighties. If anyone can help me identify this drum and approximate year that would very much appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_6000.JPG
    IMG_6000.JPG
    244.4 KB · Views: 8,524
  • IMG_6002.JPG
    IMG_6002.JPG
    331.5 KB · Views: 6,660
  • IMG_6005.JPG
    IMG_6005.JPG
    261.9 KB · Views: 6,067
  • IMG_6006.JPG
    IMG_6006.JPG
    318.5 KB · Views: 6,135
  • IMG_6007.JPG
    IMG_6007.JPG
    431.9 KB · Views: 6,080
  • IMG_6009.JPG
    IMG_6009.JPG
    454 KB · Views: 6,108
I have a red kit with a very similar configuration, except the badges on mine say "Gretsch Catalina Birch." I got it for $225 yesterday from a pawn shop. It's not set up yet because I'm missing some hardware and don't have cymbals yet.

Any idea how old it is? I know it's not one of the more current versions. I thought it might be a 6-piece missing a floor tom, but based on your pic, I guess that stand-mounted tom is it.

4947391046_4e6e34aec9.jpg

4947390064_6993f54a40.jpg

Weird that Gretsch seems to be so inconsistent with their badging.

Is this kit stained and laquered, or is that a laminate coating?

Look's like someone stained those drum's, the cat birch's generally came with a wrap. I had two of them. Although they sound pretty good

Back