Identify my octoban brand?

starar

I believe these are Tama, but it's kinda hard to tell exactly, the original stickers aren't present and they've been resprayed by the previous owner. Here's some picture examples:
http://imgur.com/a/QqnVH

Oj7vuDH.jpg

mxIXeL2.jpg

k63vZ39.jpg

hRDMISd.jpg

sDHlD9s.jpg

It's possible that they are homemade, especially if the paint job is rather primitive.

Well, they supposedly had silver wrap on them, and he resprayed them to make them look as close to original as possible. Is there anything that could identify them as being non-Tama from how they look? They feel cool to the touch and are quite heavy.

Those lugs don't match what I have on my vintage Tama octo's but the mount looks similar. I think most models use the sort of clip you've mentioned in the other thread.

Its hard to tell from the photos. Do you have any larger images? Maybe some that show the details a bit better?

Sorry, they posted very large :D

Those lugs don't match what I have on my vintage Tama octo's but the mount looks similar. I think most models use the sort of clip you've mentioned in the other thread.

Yeah, I couldn't match up the lugs to anything online, that's why I got curious. Do the hoops look okay? It's very difficult to tell without some kind of identifier.

Yeah, I couldn't match up the lugs to anything online, that's why I got curious. Do the hoops look okay? It's very difficult to tell without some kind of identifier.

I don't think they match a Tama either. Attached is my 80's set.

Attachments

• Picture 010.1.jpg
    Picture 010.1.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 96
Those lugs are Taiwanese knock off OEM.

Last time I saw those was on ROC drumkits out of south San Francisco.

Possible ROC clone Octabans.

Those lugs are Taiwanese knock off OEM.

Last time I saw those was on ROC drumkits out of south San Francisco.

Possible ROC clone Octabans.

I don't think they match a Tama either. Attached is my 80's set.

Is there anything in the shell that could more easily point towards genuine Tama vs knockoff? I'm leaning towards suggesting these are knock-offs since the lugs do not match whatsoever.

Yeah, the guy I bought them off says they would have come off during the respraying. Would the actual build of the shells give any indication?

Looking at the picts,they seem to made out of wood.

Octabans were fiberglass and I see no extra drill holes if the lugs were a retrofit.

Bottom line is probably 99% ROC mid to late 80's .

See another post with lug picture:

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?p=367900

Looking at the picts,they seem to made out of wood.

Octabans were fiberglass and I see no extra drill holes if the lugs were a retrofit.

Bottom line is probably 99% ROC mid to late 80's .

See another post with lug picture:

http://www.vintagedrumforum.com/showthread.php?p=367900

nah they're definitely not wood, weigh a ton and you can tap them and they quite clearly sound like metal. That topic you linked to is actually about the very octobans I got, the guy asking about what they are is the guy who sold them to me, so thanks for finding that. Only thing that does concern me, even if the lugs have been replaced, is the fact the octoban holder clip is not the standard shape I see on any of the other Tama octobans, its very similar but instead of being a straight/curved triangle it has a wavy shape to the sides, as you can see in the pics. Does anyone know what this might be?

nah they're definitely not wood, weigh a ton and you can tap them and they quite clearly sound like metal.
If they're metal, then I'm pretty sure they ain't Tama. I had a set of clear acrylic Tama octobans ..... and Tama made 'em in black and white, also. Over the years, lots of companies have put 'em out. We're talking almost 4 decades of production. Currently, Pearl, Peace and Ddrum have metal ones, though I think all of those are aluminum .​

Back