Ideal drum kit for metal (intermediate)

pkrishnametal

Hello folks,
I couldnt find a thread to answer my question. I am into a year of drumming and want to take it to the next level. I am a huge metal head( i idolize Raymond Herrera,Josh Freese and Chris Adler)..I have the DW 5000 pedals to get me there, but am looking for the right drum kit to play metal. I saw a PDP x7 for $650 at guitar center. Should I get that?
My budget is under $1000.
Is 22' the ideal size for bass drum?
Also, is maple the ideal finish to play this genre?

Thanks in advance and have a nice day!

BradGunnerSGT

Silver Member
Hello folks,
I couldnt find a thread to answer my question. I am into a year of drumming and want to take it to the next level. I am a huge metal head( i idolize Raymond Herrera,Josh Freese and Chris Adler)..I have the DW 5000 pedals to get me there, but am looking for the right drum kit to play metal. I saw a PDP x7 for $650 at guitar center. Should I get that?

Thanks in advance and have a nice day!

Within reason, pretty much any set of drums can be used in any musical genre. There really isn't a "right" type of kit or type of wood for metal, although some are used more than others. It's more important to find a kit that you love to play than one that is "right" for a type of music. Go to GC, sit down at a kit or two, and find the one that you can afford that feels right to you. The PDP x7 kit will do you fine, as long as you pick the right heads for the sound that you are looking for. 22 inches (' is feet!) is a standard size for bass drums.

pkrishnametal

hello there, thanks for the response!

i did read about different folks talking about maple being the ideal deal for metal.

hahaha , i meant " ...thanks for catching that.typo.what drums do you have ?

harryconway

Platinum Member
I am a huge metal head( i idolize Raymond Herrera,Josh Freese and Chris Adler)..I have the DW 5000 pedals to get me there, but am looking for the right drum kit to play metal.
That said, you might want to see what kind of drum kits your idols play on, and possibly look for a kit similar too.​
I saw a PDP x7 for $650 at guitar center.
That would probably work.​
And it's well within your budget.
The 22" is probably the most common size, although some cats use 20, 24, 26, 28 ..... but you'll probably find about 80% use the 22" ...
Finish .... if you mean wood type .... shell construction .... maple is probably also the most common, though some guys play Birch kits ... some guys play Oak ...​
Metal ... is more a style of drumming, rather than a type of drum kit.​

pkrishnametal

thanks for your tips,Harry..

I've heard on an average, most maple shells are a lot thicker than the birch shells, thus having more projection and a much warmer sound for metal..

Dirtcity

thanks for your tips,Harry..

I've heard on an average, most maple shells are a lot thicker than the birch shells, thus having more projection and a much warmer sound for metal..

The type of wood doesn't have much to do with the thickness, that's up to the company that produces the drum.

In general, maple will be warmer than, say, a birch kit, but a lot of metal drummers dig birch for its ability to pop. Birch drums are very articulate. Try looking at a Pearl Vision Birch kit perhaps? They have fairly thick shells which will project well, and the hardware on a Pearl kit is top notch. They also have fantastic customer service. Or look at the Tama Superstars. Or the PDP lines you're already looking at. Or a Yamaha of some sort. Or any brand.

I agree with most people in this thread, any set will work. Just pick the right heads and you can get your drum to sound great for just about any genre. It's not necessarily what you play, but how you play it.

Thujone

I've been playing just over a year as well. Most important thing I've learned is that there is not a drum kit that is "metal," rather there are just "metal" drum beats. You play what you think sounds right. I think you can play almost any type of music on virtually any kit. Listen to a few of your favorite metal bands. Chances are some guys play super tight, mechanical sounding drums and others are more loose (compare Pantera with Sepultura). They're all still metal!

So take your time to find something that sounds right. I spent two hours at Lone Star Percussion where I live here in Dallas trying to compare and find the right snare. I eventually did and I love it. Got a Yamaha SD 6455 copper shell. It's bright and snappy but not at all hollow sounding.

http://usa.yamaha.com/products/musical-instruments/drums/snaredrums/snaredrum-metal/copper_shell_snare_drums/sd6455/?mode=model

Anyway-go compare and just pick drums whose sound you like.