Ideal beginner kit

theKeeper

My son started learning drums a while ago, got his first electronic kit, and I've been following in his footsteps.
Anyway, we moved to another country shortly after that, and for a number of reasons can't afford to have a full-blown kit right now - too loud for the neighbors, not enough space, etc.
I've been looking at DW's Go Anywhere set (http://www.dwdrums.com/hardware/hw.asp?hw=dwcpPADTS5&w=p65) but I kind of wish it was electronic.

What do you think is the ideal entry level kit taking into account the space & sound limitations?

And how do you think the perfect set up for this could look like (if it's not in the market yet)?

T.Underhill

Pioneer Member
I'm been there and I chose to have an electronic kit. If I were to do it over I'd get one with V-pad or an equivilant type for the feel. Headphones, bank of sounds, they fold away. You could even gig out with them if you wanted to.

theKeeper

Awesome! Manadala is actually pretty close to what I have in mind. Price is definitely an issue though.

I was thinking of something like DW's practice pads that could connect to my smartphone for sequencing, cause you probably don't need a full-blown standalone drum brain these days, because sequencing can be done better on a computer/tablet/smartphone. And it's more flexible, cause you don't need to upgrade firmware.

something like this.
small_kit.png