I'd love some mix feedback regarding drum levels, studio recording audio.

jer

Silver Member
These are studio tracks, pre-master and could potentially be final mixes. I've been working on this project for a really long time, and have heard these mixes a half million times.

I'm starting to think that I'm not happy with the amount of "click" on the kick drum, and "snap" on the snare. I can sure feel them, but my ears are almost straining to hear the definition that this type of music typically demands of it's drum sound. (of a punk nature, kinda poppy, but not emoish)

I'm also starting to wonder if the guitar and bass are too loud, hence clouding up the drums.

I'd love opinions from fresh ears, I've made these available to download if you like, and if you are really into offering advice, listen to it in your car, home sterao, iPod etc... I'd be quite greatful, as this is a cause of debate amongst the band, who really want to wrap this project up (it's been alomst 18 months since I tracked).

Song 1: I feel as though I'm happy with this mix: (nsfw language)

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7306970

Song 2: This is one I really question:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7307017

Many thanks in advance for any input regarding mix, I'd love the ear of other drummers on this, either to say I'm crazy - it's fine, or it needs more tweaking.

M

Mediocrefunkybeat

Just a quick listen to the first song, I've got the following impressions.

Your bass drum is a bit too clicky. Close mic'd sounding, try adding some depth to it from an ambient source or EQ and a little reverb. Turn the compression down a notch.

The overall mix is well balanced in the stereo field, but lacks warmth. The guitars sound very brittle and DI'd - so they need a little work. The actual instrumental balance is rather good - perhaps a little too much bass drum - but the guitars are in line with each other. All that I could suggest is a little more bass.

805Drummer

Gold Member
I'm not an expert on recording, mixing, etc, but I have to say: That was a really great song! I clicked the link expecting some boring trio, with guitar players trying to be soulful, drummers trying too hard to be delicate, and a bunch of other crappy stuff you usually see.

Well, I was blown away. I did NOT expect that. Which is a good thing. Because that music was completely EPIC.

jer

Silver Member
Just a quick listen to the first song, I've got the following impressions.

Your bass drum is a bit too clicky. Close mic'd sounding, try adding some depth to it from an ambient source or EQ and a little reverb. Turn the compression down a notch.

The overall mix is well balanced in the stereo field, but lacks warmth. The guitars sound very brittle and DI'd - so they need a little work. The actual instrumental balance is rather good - perhaps a little too much bass drum - but the guitars are in line with each other. All that I could suggest is a little more bass.

Thanks for having a listen and letting me know what you thought. It's almost the opposite of what I was thinking..., but it helps for sure.

For my reference, what did you listen to it on? (home stereo?, computer speakers?, etc...)

I'm not an expert on recording, mixing, etc, but I have to say: That was a really great song! I clicked the link expecting some boring trio, with guitar players trying to be soulful, drummers trying too hard to be delicate, and a bunch of other crappy stuff you usually see.

Well, I was blown away. I did NOT expect that. Which is a good thing. Because that music was completely EPIC.

Thanks for the compliment! If I ever post stuff from other projects I work on, I'll be sure to hide it from you, based on your "crappy stuff" comment, you probably won't like :)

M

Mediocrefunkybeat

I listened to it on my system that I use for everything. Computer -> Amp -> Speakers. But I do a lot of mixing on this system as well. I have a bit of excess treble perception, but just give the idea of a little more warmth an idea and it might work. I do tend to prefer a 'lush' sound (I'm into ambient music for one) but I think that it might just add to the power of the music a tad with just a little more warmth.