I'd like to hear about your accomplishments and/or things you are proud of

I want to comment but the "pride is one of the 7 deadly sins" thing prevents me.

My greatest achievement is discovering all the buttons on this forum, and finally learning to sometimes make paragraphs or use punctuation on threads . Larry inspired that so that’s an achievement of his. Pretty monumental an achievement since a good decade of scrambled verbiage I vomit out of my head. My greatest failure is never making any of Larry’s list. So his list Another great achievement. Then he discovered a cure for GAS however the Guru-vy cure is no longer available. Larry is my hero. He’s philanthropic another check ,then humble a big factor for my hero list. Crap I need to work on my list.

Not for nothing GetAgrippa, but you missed a paragraph opportunity between achievements and failures... to wit:

My greatest achievement is discovering all the buttons on this forum, and finally learning to sometimes make paragraphs or use punctuation on threads . Larry inspired that so that’s an achievement of his. Pretty monumental an achievement since a good decade of scrambled verbiage I vomit out of my head.

My greatest failure is never making any of Larry’s list. So his list Another great achievement. Then he discovered a cure for GAS however the Guru-vy cure is no longer available. Larry is my hero. He’s philanthropic another check ,then humble a big factor for my hero list. Crap I need to work on my list.

:D

Art, you defy lists.

It's not you my friend.

You're an enigma.

I just like watching the parade.

Not for nothing GetAgrippa, but you missed a paragraph opportunity between achievements and failures... to wit:

:D
Oooopssssss!!! It’s a work in progress.

C'mon..........take a leap of faith. Let's hear it!

If you do it..... I'll do it!

Well, I already had the prideful thought...So I guess I already committed the sin, right? It's the thought not the words, right? So I guess it's stupid to close the barn door after the horse has already bolted, right?

OK. The fact that I felt that I was born to play drums...but in September 1984, I realized financially it wasn't going to happen in time for me to be able to live in a house...so I left music for money. I did various things for 5 years. At age 30, with a little business contact help and some basic electrical guidance from my electrician older brother...in 1989...I started my first business doing energy efficient lighting retrofits in commercial buildings of all sizes and types including indoor tennis courts from DC to New England, when customer utility rebates were so high as to pay for over 95% of the jobs. 75% savings on the lighting portion of the bill was a typical savings. NYC was a nightmare. Opposite side of the street parking was a nightmare. I got my van towed in Brooklyn. The rebates started drying up around 1995.

I went to Community College in 1993 and took Electricity 1 and 2. In 1995, I studied for, took and amazingly passed my NJ electrical examination and got licensed. I carved out a small little electrical service business that I never would have imagined I would be doing. All with no actual electrical training for the first 4 years and zero business training to this day, and survived ha ha.

I was supposed to play drums to make money! I had to side track myself and now I play drums for fun and zaniness, which I am actually grateful for.

Everything works out. It's both good and bad, like it's supposed to be.

Last edited:
Well, I already had the prideful thought...So I guess I already committed the sin, right? It's the thought not the words, right? So I guess it's stupid to close the barn door after the horse has already bolted, right?

OK. The fact that I felt that I was born to play drums...but in September 1984, I realized financially it wasn't going to happen in time for me to be able to live in a house...so I left music for money. I did various things for 5 years. At age 30, with a little business contact help and some basic electrical guidance from my electrician older brother...in 1989...I started doing energy efficient lighting retrofits in commercial buildings of all sizes and types including indoor tennis courts from DC to New England, when customer utility rebates were so high as to pay for over 95% of the jobs. The rebates started drying up around 1995.

In 1995 I took and amazingly passed my NJ electrical examination and got licensed. I carved out a small little electrical service business that I never would have imagined I would be doing. All with almost no electrical training for the first 6 years and zero business training to this day, and survived ha ha.

I was supposed to play drums to make money! I had to side track myself and now I play drums for fun and zaniness, which I am actually grateful for.

Everything works out. It's both good and bad, like it's supposed to be.

Far out Brussel Sprout.........I really appreciate that. Very impressed and yup, you oughta be proud.

So my turn I guess.

I left home at 16.

My first job was in Crocodile Dundee's stomping ground, the Northern Territory. I was a carpenter apprentice. I was holding my own and keeping up with veteran builders and hard, leathery old brick-layers at 16.

It was brutal, hot, humid work.......but I stuck at it.

Travelled around Australia for 4 years in my 4WD Land Rover in my early 20s. Camped out every single night, worked my way around. Did it on my own.....survived.

Sired 2 beautiful kids in my early 30s.

Drumming wise?

Absolutely NO family history of music ANYWHERE.....I walked past a music shop, bought a set of drums and away I went. This was in 1996.

Have recorded EPs, a full album, music videos. Met some famous people in music along the way.

Got my bachelor's degree in science (nursing)......on my own, no help.

Now I'm facing patient after patient with the Coronavirus potential soon enough.

I am a diligent practicer and I'm proud of my self discipline.

Wow......what a total ride my life is.

Okay, I'll play.

Music wise, I'm happy the band I helped start 26 years ago still exists, and the music I put my soul into plays on. I'm happy to be playing technically at a level that I thought was unachievable when I first started. It doesn't seem like a big deal now, thank you practice.

The rest: My family. Good times and bad, we are still here. Together. Not everyone sticks it out. I chose my wife, and I stand by that decision. Sometimes I feel like she deserves better, but she is still here, and I do everything I can to ensure it remains that way. We love and support each other, thick and thin. I'm sure she feels the same.

I'm proud that I've purchased a home and vehicles for my family and myself. The rest is miniscule. We have a roof over our heads and the ability to come and go as we please. To me that is freedom.

I don't think much else matters.

I want to comment but the "pride is one of the 7 deadly sins" thing prevents me.

Well, I'll do it for you.

Uncle Larry is known to be one of the most generous people on this board. He's been known to give away gear to those who need it (and some who didn't, but received anyways, me included).

You should be proud.

I finally got my mikes and gear moved from upstairs down to the kit in my living room. The bass drum sound I may need help with. I did the unthinkable and cut a hole in the pristine Yamaha reso head so I could get the beta52 inside. It sounds better I think, but there's no going back now. The batter head - EMAD - is at JAW, and I put a small towel inside. I haven't used Ableton Live in over a year, so that is going to be another challenge.

Also, I'm noticing some small latency in the HiHat sound. Could be the fact that I'm plugging my headphones into the phones jack on the audio interface, instead of the laptop (macbook running El Capitan macOS). My signal path is HiHat mic input to audio interface to SoundControl app to DAW to SoundControl app to audio interface headphones out.

I got my music onto my macbook today. At first I thought I could transfer directly from my ipad through iTunes but couldn't find a way to do that. Then I thought about transferring directly from my imac, but couldn't figure out how to merge in order to preserve the existing music on the macbook. So the final solution was just to use 'Add to Library' tool in iTunes on the macbook, and point it to the folder on my external harddrive.

Now I can drag mp3s into my Ableton Live instance on the macbook and have a process for creating content for YouTube, SoundCloud, etc.

After years and years of tapping on steering wheels, table tops, and other people's kits at band practice, I finally got my own drum set.

This, to me, is an accomplishment, even with the basic stuff I have... I am really enjoying playing it, learning rudiments, and watching many videos.
I am also still working my day gig, as it has been deemed "essential" for the time being, and I am also, also digging in to my daily radio show, adding new music and stretching out a bit.

I've also managed to find some time to avoid doing yard work, so, no complaints thus far. ;)

After years and years of tapping on steering wheels, table tops, and other people's kits at band practice, I finally got my own drum set.

This, to me, is an accomplishment, even with the basic stuff I have... I am really enjoying playing it, learning rudiments, and watching many videos.
I am also still working my day gig, as it has been deemed "essential" for the time being, and I am also, also digging in to my daily radio show, adding new music and stretching out a bit.

I've also managed to find some time to avoid doing yard work, so, no complaints thus far. ;)
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Good luck and remember, hard work pays off!!

Thanks!

And, full disclosure, I'm practicing rudiments right now. :D

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Good luck and remember, hard work pays off!!

I am 55. I have struggled with a lot of addiction type stuff, alcohol since ten, pot smoking since ten (gave pot up about 25 yrs ago), among other things.
Finally, one day, I just didn't go to the liquor store, next day either...Never decided or made a commitment, or said it or anything, just haven't gone...now since mid February '19.
THEN!....with all of this COVID-related not going anywhere, saving me a bit of money, and not drinking a qt. of rum every other day, this June I realized:
Hey! I can afford a starter drum set!, Never had one of those before!
This could be fun!
Congratulations, Felonious! The frequency of the urges will decrease over time, but they can be quite intense. Each battle won is armor for the next one. My addiction was not alcohol, but smoking cigarettes, which is just as addictive. I'm 18 yrs smoke-free as of April this year. The urges are more frequent when under stress. My most recent won battle was this weekend!

PS. Took 5 yrs for my lungs to recover from the bad cough. I'm 54.

My first level defense tool is a mental note:

"Wait 'til tomorrow to make a decision on this".

Proper sleep and exercise relieves bad-decision-causing stress.

I think that the non-related drum thing is that i went to get my bachelors degree. After graduating what is comparable to an associate's degree in 2007 (quickly looked it up since we have a way different educational system here), i wanted to go on studying to improve the chances on finding the job i wanted (which was to coach and help unemployed people on their journey to a new job). Put time and effort in it and after 4 years i graduated in 2011, which years ago i would never thought i would be able to achieve. And eventually found my way in 2012 to the job i so wanted, so i ticked off the mark on the 'wanting to achieve' list hehe

Drummingwise i think my most memorable moment (to date) was being able to play the legendary 'Paradiso' venue in Amsterdam. We participated in a competition and if you racked up enough votes, you'd get to play there for 20 minutes along with 30 other bands/artists. We ended up 15th, so we got to play the ballroom (basement being the smallest, we played the upstairs ballroom and the large main stage was for bands 1-10). We played 4 songs and it was over before even realizing, but i remember vividly soaking up all the sounds/sights/smells and was the best gig i ever did. Sound on stage was great, we played tight and got a great reaction form the audience.

Congratulations, Felonious! The frequency of the urges will decrease over time, but they can be quite intense. Each battle won is armor for the next one. My addiction was not alcohol, but smoking cigarettes, which is just as addictive. I'm 18 yrs smoke-free as of April this year. The urges are more frequent when under stress. My most recent won battle was this weekend!

PS. Took 5 yrs for my lungs to recover from the bad cough. I'm 54.

I am adding that saying to my list of great sayings!!!

Congrats Felonious, and RhumbaI have luckily never been addicted to substances, but food was/is my bane. About 7 years ago, I said "F-it, I am tired of being fat", and lost 150ish pounds in 2 years. That feeling of being "unburdened" was awesome. I hope you are getting the same!!! Stay strong!!!

I think that the non-related drum thing is that i went to get my bachelors degree. After graduating what is comparable to an associate's degree in 2007 (quickly looked it up since we have a way different educational system here), i wanted to go on studying to improve the chances on finding the job i wanted (which was to coach and help unemployed people on their journey to a new job). Put time and effort in it and after 4 years i graduated in 2011, which years ago i would never thought i would be able to achieve. And eventually found my way in 2012 to the job i so wanted, so i ticked off the mark on the 'wanting to achieve' list hehe

Drummingwise i think my most memorable moment (to date) was being able to play the legendary 'Paradiso' venue in Amsterdam. We participated in a competition and if you racked up enough votes, you'd get to play there for 20 minutes along with 30 other bands/artists. We ended up 15th, so we got to play the ballroom (basement being the smallest, we played the upstairs ballroom and the large main stage was for bands 1-10). We played 4 songs and it was over before even realizing, but i remember vividly soaking up all the sounds/sights/smells and was the best gig i ever did. Sound on stage was great, we played tight and got a great reaction form the audience.

love hearing stuff like this. You are lucky to get to check things off...my list seems to keep growing!!

I finally finished my 30 year college journey in 2014 with my Music Ed degree...so i know how that is! I was the first kid to start college on my dads side of the family, and the last to finish!

Back