I'd like to hear about your accomplishments and/or things you are proud of

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
With so much negativity out there, I thought it would be cool to hear things that you've done that you're proud of. It can be music related or not. Time to brag on yourself a little! Be as vague or particular as you like.

beatdat

Well, I'm far from the flashiest or steadiest drummer out there, but I've always been fortunate enough to find myself playing with other musicians who are better than me or are really good songwriters, and for that I'm grateful.

One thing I've been told is that I have the authenticity and attitude needed to make the music feel good (even if it's only rock n' roll).

Another thing I've been told by an old friend who is an excellent songwriter is that, despite whatever shortcomings I have as a drummer, I "make everything better".

It's not much, but I'll take it!

Last edited:

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I'm pretty sure I have some undocumented learning disabilities, but I've managed to get three college degrees from a well-respected university. After being labeled "not college material" in 8th grade, now teach at the college level.

Playing music comes easy to me. I can play 15-20 different instruments, and some of them I play pretty well even though I've not had any lessons for the vast majority of them, and I learned them all before YouTube got so big. The downside is I feel I've never had a chance to do anything that great with the talent I have. If I would have had more support and opportunities early on, I think I could have done some really great things in the music industry.

Believe me when I say I have a ton of flaws and demons I wrestle on a regular basis. I have to remind myself of my strengths every once in a while to keep it together, you know?

Thanks for allowing me to brag! Looking forward to what y'all have to say about yourselves!

drumnut87

considering i was always told i'd never amount to much by school teachers, ive played 2000 capacity festivals, 600 capacity venues, toured around a bit and made recordings with multiple people and put out an album with my own band, went from having starter gear that kept falling apart at 18 to having professional equipment by age 25 (all self-funded) and managing to make a living playing with bands, so im fairly proud of my accomplishments, but i hate to brag or talk about my accomplishments because i dont want to come across big headed or arrogant or anything of that sort.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Dang PorkPie we sound like brothers of another mother. I know I had learning difficulties though none documented but my Mom took me to tutors and tried various interventions to get me reading and writing. I always thought it ADHD but really I have lots of dyslexic traits-and I to wasn't college material but a later bloomer and I got three degrees. Weird. And what's with teachers berating and bullying so many students as I keep reading here? Dang they failed us but no matter we showed them LOL. I to think if I had applied myself better I could have done better things with my degrees-not so much music (things were rocking for me when I quit research).. But I made another choice. I know this sounds corny but being a "good Dad" which I committed professional suicide by choosing to be Mr. Mom for 8 years is the thing I'm most proud of. Strange because I talk about my love of the sciences all the time but that's nothing to my love of family and friends. I had zero skills for such a feat (that's really an understatement) but my father was so bad at it (bless him he had no clue and neither did his Dad) so I broke a legacy of really crappy Dads-both my brothers protested my choice but both admit I was a better Dad than they and have a better relationship with my kids. It's about the only thing I didn't screw up TBH-well that and my marriage which I nearly killed it a few times. Two of my mentors tried to talk me out of my decision though sympathetic to my reasoning at time. One wrote me a great recommendation when I returned to work trying teaching since I killed my research options-so I guess he forgave me. My youngest was having sensory processing issues and other traits that reminded me of myself and struggles, and I was worried my wife and I being so career oriented I would be a bad Dad (I guess it haunted me some). One of my PhD readers was a vascular biologist who admitted he'd been working and going to meetings (gone so much ) he felt a stranger in his own home. Man that hit me like a truck-dang I don't want my kids to think I'm a stranger what am I doing? Course I've second guessed it but I feel I made my right choice (a lot because my wife could financially provide being a physician-so not many have such an option to be fair. The one with difficulties just finished her masters degree. Yep I'm a proud Dad-everything else a proud "Dud" LOL.

Last edited:

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Dang PorkPie we sound like brothers of another mother. I know I had learning difficulties though none documented but my Mom took me to tutors and tried various interventions to get me reading and writing. I always thought it ADHD but really I have lots of dyslexic traits-and I to wasn't college material but a later bloomer and I got three degrees. Weird. And what's with teachers berating and bullying so many students as I keep reading here? Dang they failed us but no matter we showed them LOL. I to think if I had applied myself better I could have done better things with my degrees-not so much music (things were rocking for me when I quit research).. But I made another choice. I know this sounds corny but being a "good Dad" which I committed professional suicide by choosing to be Mr. Mom for 8 years is the thing I'm most proud of. Strange because I talk about my love of the sciences all the time but that's nothing to my love of family and friends. I had zero skills for such a feat (that's really an understatement) but my father was so bad at it (bless him he had no clue and neither did his Dad) so I broke a legacy of really crappy Dads-both my brothers protested my choice but both admit I was a better Dad than they and have a better relationship with my kids. It's about the only thing I didn't screw up TBH-well that and my marriage which I nearly killed it a few times. Two of my mentors tried to talk me out of my decision though sympathetic to my reasoning at time. One wrote me a great recommendation when I returned to work trying teaching since I killed my research options-so I guess he forgave me. My youngest was having sensory processing issues and other traits that reminded me of myself and struggles, and I was worried my wife and I being so career oriented I would be a bad Dad (I guess it haunted me some). One of my PhD readers was a vascular biologist who admitted he'd been working and going to meetings (gone so much ) he felt a stranger in his own home. Man that hit me like a truck-dang I don't want my kids to think I'm a stranger what am I doing? Course I've second guessed it but I feel I made my right choice (a lot because my wife could financially provide being a physician-so not many have such an option to be fair. The one with difficulties just finished her masters degree. Yep I'm a proud Dad-everything else a proud "Dud" LOL.
Honestly, I was going to say I’m proud of my relationship with my oldest daughter. It’s so nice to be able to talk to your own child, adult-to-adult.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I am proud of the percussion program I have built at my high school. It was a life-long dream to have a program that is successful, and is constantly putting players out to the next level in drum corps, college, and WGI Indoor groups. I devote an insane amount of time to this program to get it running and keep it top shelf for the kids

I am even more happy, and proud about my students and the lives they have built using what they learned in my program. I have now taught the children of 2 of my best friends - who I was in band with - and had them in my program from 5th grade through to college. I have been part of countless weddings, celebrations and family mile stones with these kids.

I have also played, recorded, and did light touring with one of my rock bands, playing everywhere from 6000 capacity places to CBGB's, and the Mercury Lounge in NYC...got to open for David Byrne, Howard Jones, Black Sabbath, and Fountains Of Wayne. Playing at CBGB's was a huge thing for me being a punker...

In college, we did a clinic thing with Wynton Marsalis where he was in residence for the week with the Lincoln Jazz Center group. He complimented me on my playing in the jazz band, and I was floored. At that age, I was sure that I was a hack, but he said to the group : " your drummer is rock solid. Y'all need to be listening and feeling him"...I am still pretty sure that I am a hack, and he was just being nice...but holy crap!!

When I was in first grade, and first got to play on my dad's drum set, I said to my self right then:" I am going to be a drummer for a living"....I really can't believe that it actually happened.

rhumbagirl

Today is the first day that I'm setup with ALL my music on my ipad, with a set of Samsung bluetooth headphones, and some time to play with music again. I'll be using the noise cancelling option which should filter out the raw drums.

I've actually used this setup before, but this is a new ipad, and boy was it a challenge getting mp3s into iTunes then syncing from mac. Prior to this I was irresponsibly streaming youtube content with an older ipad.

I spent a week in January re-ripping all my CDs to the mac (including the pristine Exit Stage Left, enclosed in a worn case, but not a scratch on the CD after 35 years). I bought a 4TB bright orange external drive and shoved that stuff onto it. In addition, I found the pile of 'instructional' CDs (I like to break these out of the books they come with, even if it results in them not being around when I need them) and ripped them as well.

So long hours last night, importing ('Add to Library' in iTunes) music CDs and instructional CDs into iTunes. Apparently, when you reach 33Gb the import corrupts things likes songs that need to be reimported individually. Not alot, but it was a learning experience. Not fun. On top of that, iTunes sometimes can't import stuff into the right 'album'. So manually moving stuff inside of iTunes is a chore and challenge. Once they were imported, I used iTunes 'sync' to put it all on the ipad.

The culmination was test on the shitter when I clicked the 'Brazilian Coordination for the Drumset' playlist, which brought up all of Maria Martinez's play-alongs. (In iTunes, you use playlists like folders; I added all the instructional CD 'playlists' into a 'playlist folder' called 'instructionals').

No excuses now..

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
Today is the first day that I'm setup with ALL my music on my ipad, with a set of Samsung bluetooth headphones, and some time to play with music again. I'll be using the noise cancelling option which should filter out the raw drums.

I've actually used this setup before, but this is a new ipad, and boy was it a challenge getting mp3s into iTunes then syncing from mac. Prior to this I was irresponsibly streaming youtube content with an older ipad.

I spent a week in January re-ripping all my CDs to the mac (including the pristine Exit Stage Left, enclosed in a worn case, but not a scratch on the CD after 35 years). I bought a 4TB bright orange external drive and shoved that stuff onto it. In addition, I found the pile of 'instructional' CDs (I like to break these out of the books they come with, even if it results in them not being around when I need them) and ripped them as well.

So long hours last night, importing ('Add to Library' in iTunes) music CDs and instructional CDs into iTunes. Apparently, when you reach 33Gb the import corrupts things likes songs that need to be reimported individually. Not alot, but it was a learning experience. Not fun. On top of that, iTunes sometimes can't import stuff into the right 'album'. So manually moving stuff inside of iTunes is a chore and challenge. Once they were imported, I used iTunes 'sync' to put it all on the ipad.

The culmination was test on the shitter when I clicked the 'Brazilian Coordination for the Drumset' playlist, which brought up all of Maria Martinez's play-alongs. (In iTunes, you use playlists like folders; I added all the instructional CD 'playlists' into a 'playlist folder' called 'instructionals').

No excuses now..
which is ironic, because I just google grooves and then just play them by reading them off the google image results. Or I just make up exercises based on other people’s exercises. LOL

rhumbagirl

which is ironic, because I just google grooves and then just play them by reading them off the google image results. Or I just make up exercises based on other people’s exercises. LOL
Might I make a comment. Your tone seems to always discredit others contributions to this forum. LOL

acsunda

Not drum-related. I've always had incredibly low self-esteem. I was a C student in high school and never really thought I'd amount to much just because I thought I couldn't do it. I'm proud to say that in August I finished my master's in education with a 4.0 GPA. And I know that at the graduate level no one actually cares about GPA, but I've never had a 4.0 before. Even all the way up until the final weeks of my final graduate research project in July/August, there was a little voice telling me that there was no way I was actually going to be able to do this; they'd figure out that I wasn't suppose to be there and I wouldn't graduate. But I did. And I got a 4.0. So I'm really proud of that.

Last edited:

rhumbagirl

Not drum-related. I've always had incredibly low self-esteem. I was a C student in high school and never really thought I'd amount to much just because I thought I couldn't do it. I'm proud to say that in August I finished my master's in education with a 4.0 GPA. And I know that at the graduate level no one actually cares about GPA, but I've never had a 4.0 before. Even all the way up until the final weeks of my final graduate research project in July/August, there was a little voice telling me that there was no way I was actually going to be able to do this; they'd figure out that I wasn't suppose to be there. But I did. And I got a 4.0. So I'm really proud of that.
CONGRATULATIONS! I myself have experienced that same achievement, although in a lesser two-year associates degree program. Albeit with ulterior motives - wanting to best my older brother. Needless to say, I barely escaped a college degree later on.

acsunda

CONGRATULATIONS! I myself have experienced that same achievement, although in a lesser two-year associates degree program. Albeit with ulterior motives - wanting to best my older brother. Needless to say, I barely escaped a college degree later on.
Congratulations to you as well!

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Not drum-related. I've always had incredibly low self-esteem. I was a C student in high school and never really thought I'd amount to much just because I thought I couldn't do it. I'm proud to say that in August I finished my master's in education with a 4.0 GPA. And I know that at the graduate level no one actually cares about GPA, but I've never had a 4.0 before. Even all the way up until the final weeks of my final graduate research project in July/August, there was a little voice telling me that there was no way I was actually going to be able to do this; they'd figure out that I wasn't suppose to be there and I wouldn't graduate. But I did. And I got a 4.0. So I'm really proud of that.
Way 2 go brother.

beatdat

Definitely something to be proud of!

Your education is one thing that can't be taken away from you.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I was exactly the same...I got straight A's in music and Architectural drawing, and straight F's in everything else.

Went to college right out of HS and failed out after 2 and a half years...

Took 15 years off to do the music/living in a van/touring thing, and then when that ran it's course, went back for my music Ed degree at age 30...got all but one semester away, and got distracted again by my job. Skip 10 more years, and finally finished at 45....Magna Cum Laude as well.

IT CAN BE DONE!!!!!

Glad to see that you did i as well, and in a much more timely fashion than me. You have some more time to reap the rewards of your labor!!!

rhumbagirl

I thought this thread was about what we are doing TODAY that we're proud of. For example, if you're a ProTools user, maybe you're dragging a completed post-processing project down to your external hard drive and you've ran across some complication and how you resolved it. Or maybe you dodged a case of coronavirus. A jogger you had to cross the street from to maintain your distance. Or a special recipe where you went ahead and ate the ends of the carrots too. Anything really. What are we working on today? Hopefully it's drum/music related. Many of us make excuses every day for not playing or practicing.

rhumbagirl

I did something else today, so I get to post again. A status update on the iPad iTunes project.

I got to try out the noise-canceling headphones bluetoothed to my play-along tracks on my iPad. While the headphones did well to protect my ears, and while I felt more at ease giving my snare a more healthy WHACK, I couldn't really hear all of my playing this way. It actually felt like air drumming to an extent, and that isn't what I really wanted. But it's a step up from where I was at. Actually maybe it's just different.

Next step is full on macbook + mikes + DAW. I could use the Zoom H5, but my iPad doesn't have an outjack for the audio to the Zoom line in.