Ian Paice

Hi Guys,I've a question for You.
What's wrong with snare sound on Deep Purple "Perfect Strangers" LP?
The sound Is sooo bad..Did Ian Paice use reverb or somethng like that?

To me a very typical slickly produced 80's sounding album for a heavy band, the drums as well.
The opening track is great.

Growing up it was Bonzo and Paice as thee two main inspirational drummers. Of course others but not to the degree. Led Zeppelins new album and Bonham was the guy..Deep Purples latest and Ian was the guy. Back and forth. I've got a letter from Ian on the wall downstairs and one of the lines was he felt honored that I compared him with Bonham as main influences. Ian wearing those oval blue tinted glasses was to much..i had to have some to look like him even though I didn't wear glasses. There are only two drummers that (to me) it's everything they played on every tune they played..EVERYTHING..Ian and John. Reading everyone's thoughts is such a blast for me. Long live Ian! Long live Ian!.

Hi Guys,I've a question for You.
What's wrong with snare sound on Deep Purple "Perfect Strangers" LP?
The sound Is sooo bad..Did Ian Paice use reverb or somethng like that?
He switched to Pearl by then. But I like his snare on that album.

Wow, I've never responded to this thread before!

He is my favorite drummer. Just absolutely love his style. That hard rock/funk/jazz chops he threw down are an absolute delight to the ears. Imo the best drummer of the classic rock era in terms of pure skill (with possible competition from Carl Palmer).

Think he was rocking the supra up through the end of Mark IV. And then yeah, with the reunited Mark II he was on Pearl by then, and of course 1980's recording fashions were in play.

Although his Pearl signature snare is basically a supra knock-off anyway.

Ian Paise is very cool!
DEEP PURPLE - HIGHWAY STAR - DRUMS ONLY
original Ian Paice drum track

Imagine a modern day producer going "hey, I can clean that up a bit"....

I remember a documentary where they had the different tracks of Hendrix's Electric Ladyland recordings. Just about any instrument played solo would nowadays have been subject to the scrutiny of quantization and grids, but when the guy in the documentary opened all the faders to their position....there it was...a magical sound and groove second to none.
I don't remember the name of the documentary sadly

When I first got a hold of bootleg multitracks in the late 00's (before the Rock Band stems proliferated) I was amazed at how unsteady so many of those individual tracks are. Didn't matter which band it was....The Beatles, Zeppelin, Hendrix, Queen, everybody. But then when everyone played together, it sounds so good and "perfect" (or at least, a natural perfect). Definitely a case of whole greater than sum.

It made me feel better as to why I thought my own recordings were substandard. Well, isolated drums tend to sound slightly janky in parts too.

Thank you for pointing this out. He's one of the inspirations making me want to play the drums, nearly half a century ago. And I'm super happy, that he is still working on such a high level.
The drum kit he's presenting is by far one of the smallest since a long time.

Thank you for pointing this out. He's one of the inspirations making me want to play the drums, nearly half a century ago. And I'm super happy, that he is still working on such a high level.
The drum kit he's presenting is by far one of the smallest since a long time.
I saw a tour of his drum garage, and he actually owns a 20 for local stuff.

Yeah Paice is great. His rolls are absolutely air tight.

I remember seeing Richie Blackmore saying he didn't like his (Richie's) work on Lazy. Love that song BTW. He said he did the two solos on different sessions and you could hear the difference...so I listened and he's right. That song is still awesome though. Everything, keyboard, harp, guitar, vocals...and of course all backed up by an unreal rhythm section.

Back