Ian Paice MK1 Era

opentune

Platinum Member
Purple Mark I did some cool stuff but they were trying to find their style. I always refer to them as Psychedelic Elvis because of Rod Evans voice.
I loved the kit he used on the early stuff, Black Oyster Ludwig 1 up 2 down, pretty sure he used it to record Machine Head.
I went through a deep MK1 and MK2 phase last summer. Youtube is full of some excellent early shows, 1970ish, and they do a lot of MK1 stufff still by then. I too loved the BO Ludwig but for the Machine Head recording he went all Silver Sparkly by that time,..... and recorded in a closet.
I saw a recent interview with Ian and he has not kept any of his older Ludwig drums (!), maybe one snare.

images.jpg

mikyok

Platinum Member
I went through a deep MK1 and MK2 phase last summer. Youtube is full of some excellent early shows, 1970ish, and they do a lot of MK1 stufff still by then. I too loved the BO Ludwig but for the Machine Head recording he went all Silver Sparkly by that time,..... and recorded in a closet.
I saw a recent interview with Ian and he has not kept any of his older Ludwig drums (!), maybe one snare.

My bad, it was In Rock, I've got an old video of him using it live in 1970 on a TV show. None of the audience knows what to make of Child In Time and George Best is randomly in the crowd.

I saw that video he did about the drums he's kept, he's kept one Ludwig colosseum snare. They're probably all in storage somewhere and he's forgotten about them. They haven't popped up in a collection anywhere. Also his signature snare is based on a 402, there's probably a few kept on the down low for when they're in the studio.