Ian Paice Drumming: Deep Purple Top 10 Songs for Drums. Tier List + Stats

While I can't call myself a serious Deep Purple fan, I'd be a fool not to acknowledge the excellence of Paice's drumming. Bonham, understandably, is the subject of never-ending praise and analysis, but Paice should be right up there with him in many ways. To me, the measure of a drummer's greatness is his irreplaceability. Paice has always fit that bill in my mind.

While I can't call myself a serious Deep Purple fan, I'd be a fool not to acknowledge the excellence of Paice's drumming. Bonham, understandably, is the subject of never-ending praise and analysis, but Paice should be right up there with him in many ways. To me, the measure of a drummer's greatness is his irreplaceability. Paice has always fit that bill in my mind.
Yes, I agree. Ian Paice has a less passionate personality but if we consider the pure skills for instance he's better than Bonham. John on the other hand is more creative in my opinion.

I really love Paice feeling, and sense of swing. People tend to quote only the old deep purple songs, but, Bananas for instance and even the last album (infinite) are a display of tasty drumming, with a great sound.

Yes, I agree. Ian Paice has a less passionate personality but if we consider the pure skills for instance he's better than Bonham. John on the other hand is more creative in my opinion.
I cant disagree with this. I was a Deep Purple fan long before a Zeppelin fan. By the time I got to Bonham, Paice had already blown me away completely. Bonham was just an added bonus.

Paice seems more the technical perfectionist to me than Bonham. Bonhams pocket is bigger, but Paice has more chops and direction.

Ian Paice is very underrated, IMO, in the discussion of legendary classic rock drummers. Great chops, with a musical ear that allowed him to create memorable drum parts that always supported Purple's sound, and allowed them to go a lot of places, musically, over a very long career span.

Can't believe I just caught this! Ian Paice is my favorite drummer, so its great to see one of your tier videos cover him!

I have to admit, probably my favorite DP song from a drumming perspective is "You Fool No One" and I'm kind of shocked to not see it here. I could see that being maybe B tier or somewhere around there. You need some good bass drum chops and of course have killer paradiddles to be able to keep up on the main groove.

Emmaretta, one of their very early ones, think it was only on an album in the US. It was a UK B-side.

Really nice feel and a little improv solo at the fade out.

Ah yeah, Deep Purple Mk. I definitely deserves more love than it gets. Emmaretta's on their self-titled album, which did very poorly in the US because their record label went bankrupt.

Anyway, I've spent the past 30 minutes or so finally digitizing my Burn transcription, here's a preview. I may take up Todd's suggestion and do a whole book of Paice transcriptions, but here's a peak for now. I'll need to work on prettifying it, but that can wait until later.

Attachments

• Burn_0001.png
    Burn_0001.png
    402.8 KB · Views: 9
Ah yeah, Deep Purple Mk. I definitely deserves more love than it gets. Emmaretta's on their self-titled album, which did very poorly in the US because their record label went bankrupt.

My dad was into to the early incarnation of deep purple, The Book of Talesyn was the first Purple album I heard. It's like pyschodelic Elvis ?

Mark IV are a guilty pleasure, Come Taste the Band is underrated.

Only got to see Purple once in 2006 at Milton Keynes, got right down the front. Paice is one of my favourite drummers.

Yeah my mom had a weird collection of LP's (she was the one who introduced me to them). She had Shades of Deep Purple, Book of Taliysyn, the Concerto with Band and Orchestra, In Rock, and Made in Japan. I remember really digging Book of Talesyn like you did...but In Rock is still easily my favorite album of theirs.

I remember I got Burn when I was still living at home in my early 20's, she had never heard it before but I was playing it and she really liked it and asked who they were (probably not recognizing the singer wasn't Rod Evans or Ian Gillan). Kind of a funny moment.

In Rock is still easily my favorite album of theirs.

I remember I got Burn when I was still living at home in my early 20's, she had never heard it before but I was playing it and she really liked it and asked who they were (probably not recognizing the singer wasn't Rod Evans or Ian Gillan). Kind of a funny moment.

My dad had Made in Japan too, what an album!

I got a lot of their albums on LP in my early 20s at home too, they were worthless in the early 2000s and there was a local 2nd hand vinyl shop where I used to come home with bag fulls of albums, still got em. I remember getting Fireball and my dad just appeared when I was playing it.

I wish they'd do a mark III reunionish (obviously Jon Lord wouldn't be there) Coverdale and Hughes have still got it. Coverdale still does Burn/Stormbringer

I stumbled across a few isolated drum tracks of his on YouTube and they were head spinning.
I now follow his Drum Tribe YouTube channel despite never having been a particular Deep Purple or an Ian Paice fan and this is out of ignorance rather than knowing his work and not liking it. He strikes me as being a fairly studious and reserved person, perhaps if he'd burned bright but only for a short time he'd have gained more recognition, ironically his lifestyle and longevity work against that.

Ian Paice has been about the only consistent element of Deep Purple. I remember my oldest bro brought home their first album in late 60’s it sounded pretty much like a hundred other psychedelic progressive bands of time and I told him they were crap and never amount to anything. Just a few years I’m eating those words and a huge fan- from 69-73 they were awesome. They continued to be but those were formative years so lots of memories with that era. Led, Purple, Black were all smoking.

I wish they'd do a mark III reunionish (obviously Jon Lord wouldn't be there) Coverdale and Hughes have still got it. Coverdale still does Burn/Stormbringer

In the late 2000s (when Lord was still alive) me and a few online friends were saying how wonderful a Mark III reunion would be...since Gillan and Blackmore absolutely HATE each other, at least that could have feasibly worked. Allegedly it almost happened a few times, but Blackmore being the primadonna he is, backed out of it everytime.

Back