I wrote, drummed, pianoed, congaed, and bassed this piece!

Seafroggys

Silver Member
My celebration of the 2017 total solar eclipse. Long overdo. I wrote this and recorded all of my parts way back in September 2017, but had some issues with bringing on a guitarist, so it was delayed over two years for me to settle on one that was good enough to do what I was wanting.

A 20 minute long, progressive rock/new-age instrumental piece. Definitely proud of this one!

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Wow - that's an epic endeavour!! I love the section from 15:21 onwards especially - has a wonderful old school resolution that starts slightly sour.

Kudos to you for the work & talent to put this together. The only thing I craved was a bit more weight to the drums / overall bottom end.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Man that is an awesome job Seafroggy-would make a great sound track for a film or nature movie (drone flying over epic terrain or sea). Love the violin and instrumentation and all the changes along the way. At twenty minutes I didn't think I'd make it to the end-BUT I DID!!!!! I'd say it's something to be proud of.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Very nice. Time for the patent office. Was interesting to see right hand bass and left hand guitar playing. Keep up the good work.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
What all the others said (except for the LH guitar player - that's a different dude, GD), but I missed one important ingredient: a strong, repeating, hummable HOOK. That's the one thing that defines great music.

GeeDeeEmm

Seafroggys

Silver Member
Thanks guys for all the kind words!

And yeah, the guitarist and the bassist are not the same person. I play the bass, the guitarist is a friend of mine.

but I missed one important ingredient: a strong, repeating, hummable HOOK.
I know music is purely subjective, but you have no idea how often I have gotten the "Dawn theme" stuck in my head from this. Not anymore since I've heard it a billion times, but I feel that that particular phrase is fairly catchy.

But prog rock isn't really known for catchiness either. So I guess your mileage may vary.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
My bad on the guitar player. I had just gotten back from the doctor and she told me I was still alive. Still in shock

J-Boogie

Gold Member
Wow, amazing. Thanks for reminding me that I am one huge fake ass musician! Seriously tho......awesome Seafroggys

danondrums

Thanks guys for all the kind words!

And yeah, the guitarist and the bassist are not the same person. I play the bass, the guitarist is a friend of mine.

I know music is purely subjective, but you have no idea how often I have gotten the "Dawn theme" stuck in my head from this. Not anymore since I've heard it a billion times, but I feel that that particular phrase is fairly catchy.

But prog rock isn't really known for catchiness either. So I guess your mileage may vary.
My only advice is to not waste any energy on unsolicited internet criticism. :)

Thanks for sharing your music.

Seafroggys

Silver Member
Thank you guys again! Yeah, for one of the sections (Totality) I was totally going for a Comfortably Numb-esque vibe, telling my guitarist "channel Gilmour!" so I'm sure a bit of Floyd influence is in there. Although to be honest I was riffing more Mike Oldfield, as Tubular Bells is probably my biggest inspiration when making this.