I wonder why...

Stroman

Platinum Member
... my favorite snare drums are my cheapest ones?

I have four snares - a George Way walnut, a Pork Pie Big Black, a pawn-shop Ludwig Acrolite, and a Yamaha Musashi I bought from Gruntersdad many moons ago.

My two favorites are the Acrolite and the Musashi. What they both do that makes them favorites is tune up so that I can get very crisp notes when playing softly, yet sound full and solid when I whack the crap out of them. They never choke at normal tunings. And they do this easily.

The Big Black is a close third, but it can be a little more quirky to tune into just the right range and the rims sit very low above the head, making cross-sticking more difficult. I loved the Way snare when I got it, but the appeal has kind of worn off for me. It's a great snare, but... IDK.

So basically, right now I like my snare drums in the exact reverse order of their cost.

Thoughts? Maybe I just have taste for $h!t.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Platinum Member
First of all, those are quality snares.

I can't say my cheapest snares definetly are my favourites, but it's not proportional to price either. Some productions methods are just more expensive. Some brands and some countries' labour costs are also just more or less.

My main users now, the new 12" and 14" Colaiuta sigs were probably one of my most expensive snares, but mainly because it's some of the few snares I actually bought new.

gdmoore28

Gold Member
... my favorite snare drums are my cheapest ones?

So basically, right now I like my snare drums in the exact reverse order of their cost.

Thoughts? Maybe I just have taste for $h!t.
My experience exactly. And I have some theories as to why, but I'm too tired to type them out today. Good point, Stroman.

GeeDeeEmm

PorkPieGuy

Platinum Member
I love the sound and feel of my off-the-shelf Pearl MCX snare drum. I play this same snare with any kit I play.

CommanderRoss

Silver Member
I had a Sound Percussion snare once that really had a lot of crack. I almost regret selling it as I could've put some basic improvement work into it & had a great "beater snare".
Sometimes "cheap" snares aren't always that way & can actually sound pretty good with a good tuning.

trickg

Silver Member
My two favorite snares are both Keller maple shell snare projects that I made. Go figure. I've also got an Acrolite floating around somewhere (I think the drummer for my son's band still has it - I think I remember loaning it to him) and I like that too, but I've had some other more expensive drums that I didn't like as well, particularly a Pearl 6.5x14 Steve Ferrone signature, a bronze Pearl Sensitone Elite, and a DIY stave drum I made from an African Padauk shell I sourced. I had high hopes for that Padauk snare, and I've probably got $400 worth of stuff into it, but I never really did care for it.