I wish we had a subforum for buy/sell/trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nursemaids??? That tells me that you don't have much confidence in the membership. We already have a buy/sell thread but it's a PITA because you have to enter at the last post and scroll backwards to have any kind relevance to the present.

If you open the General Discussion page the two threads with the most posts are the Classified thread and the What's your latest purchase thread and it's not even close with the others. My suggestion is just to improve on something that we already have.
The classified thread has had 36 posts in the last 30 days so that makes it about one post per day. It has some activity but I wouldn’t consider it so significant. I’m sure if it were better organized it would have more posts though. I think some of the debate is whether DW as a whole is better off with a focus on buying and selling.

As far as reducing admin maintenance of old posts, would you accept an auto deletion of posts after a set time limit?

I think some people will want to turn the “watch” function on in the area/subforum and get a detailed notification when new items are posted, such as user xyz posted Pearl Export 20” BD for sale.

The current auto deletion function saves the admins a lot of hassle. (DFO has a large subforum for gear and requires admin housekeeping.) If entire threads in a classified subforum can be automatically deleted after a set period, maintenance probably wouldn’t increase. A new subforum post would give out the notification and the auto delete would take care of cleanup. Requiring a user to have a minimum number of other posts to post in the classified section could help reduce spam.

@Supergrobi could help discuss low-maintenance alternatives 😀
I wish some one would tell me about the auto-deletion function. I am in their constantly deleting posts thay say Sold, or once older than 90 days!!!!!

I wish some one would tell me about the auto-deletion function. I am in their constantly deleting posts thay say Sold, or once older than 90 days!!!!!
Oh. Then I am mistaken. I thought the current classified thread auto-deleted posts over 30 days old by a script. If not, maybe @Supergrobi could schedule one. Manual maintenance is awful.

Nursemaids??? That tells me that you don't have much confidence in the membership.
Not that I have "no confidence" in the membership ...... but general observation is ...... money changes everything. Been here 15+ years ..... seen a lot of "stuff" go down, and money wasn't involved. Adding that to the equation just seems like a bad idea ...... and with FB Marketplace, eBay, Reverb, CraigsList, etc. already providing buyer/seller platforms ..... I just see little reward for that trouble.

And by the way, I have sold drums to members here. Didn't have to use the classified section at all.

I do with they would at least divide the thread by location. Looking at hot deals in Europe doesn't work for those of us in the USA, and vise versa.

Seems like an invitation for headaches. I like the forum has been about folks giving/exchanging/selling drum stuff that might come up on any thread. So a forum member suffers a loss then DW good folks offer a rescue. I never pay attention to classified- it’s always seemed more spontaneous amongst members -I like that. It’s funny in parallel to this thread there is the “don’t you just hate drum flippers” thread. Cosmic equilibrium lol

No, no, no, no, no ......

Bernhard and the mods. have enough to do already ..... without having to also be nursemaids to a buyer/seller platform.

Agreed. This forum is currently the best drum forum on the Internet. Why screw it up by adding a marketplace?

I'm a member of another forum; a firearms collectors community. It has a marketplace. It has been nothing but trouble; a huge headache for moderators. Scammers, member call-outs, disputes, legal issues, shipping, taxes, etc... No thanks.

Some serious negativity going on here. Many dubious assumptions as well. My favorites being that many people are making a profit buying and selling drums (LOL, you're joking right?) and "I've seen a lot STUFF go down". Do tell? I guess @harryconway also has ESP and doesn't need to use a classified section? WTH?

When I started this thread I was thinking it would be nice to be able to sell some tom arms, cymbal stand bases, or maybe even an occasional snare drum that I wasn't using. Most likely for a fair amount LESS than I paid for it. You know, maybe help somebody less fortunate out. But hey, you've already turned it into a meeting place for the criminal element! Jeesh, some of you guys are worse than a church ladies tea group.

Maybe it's a bad idea for this constituency. Heaven forbid somebody posts a kit for sale on here for say $1200 or a snare for $400. I can hear it now........"You could get a Strange Custom or an ackolite for half that amount!" or "You've only been on here for 5-6 years. How do I know you aren't a scammer?" :rolleyes: ;)

I'm out. Peace.

Last edited:
Some serious negativity going on here. Many dubious assumptions as well. My favorites being that many people are making a profit buying and selling drums (LOL, you're joking right?) and "I've seen a lot STUFF go down". Do tell? I guess @harryconway also has ESP and doesn't need to use a classified section? WTH?

When I started this thread I was thinking it would be nice to be able to sell some tom arms, cymbal stand bases, or maybe even an occasional snare drum that I wasn't using. Most likely for a fair amount LESS than I paid for it. You know, maybe help somebody less fortunate out. But hey, you've already turned it into a meeting place for the criminal element! Jeesh, some of you guys are worse than a church ladies tea group.

Maybe it's a bad idea for this constituency. Heaven forbid somebody posts a kit for sale on here for say $1200 or a snare for $400. I can hear it now........"You could get a Strange Custom or an ackolite for half that amount!" or "You've only been on here for 5-6 years. How do I know you aren't a scammer?" :rolleyes: ;)

I'm out. Peace.
I’ve been on the TalkBass forum for about 7 years. They have a classified section. It’s one of the best aspects of the site. Great items being sold by people that know what they are talking about, great prices, safe payment options, friendly negotiation, etc.

But then again, the TalkBass community is tight knit and there is an unspoken honor system amongst the members there. I see that the members here don’t share the same confidence, which in turn makes me not want to buy anything from them.

I think it would be a great addition, it is definitely implementable, and would be beneficial. It would be a great market for snares and cymbals I can just feel. But quite a strange reaction from the members here at the suggestion. Very strange.

When I first got on here and check out the classified thread I was like, I wonder if anyone actually sells anything on here. Doesn’t look conducive.

Oh well 😂

For those looking for an optimal buying/selling experience, TB has a Classfied subforum devoted to not bass related gear. Sometimes drum stuff ends up on there, could be worth checking in on every once in a while.

TB remains unmatched!

Funny, when this thread was first posted, I was thinking, "Yeah, the classified thread is a little unwieldy. A subforum might be nice!" But after ready through all the posts, I believe I have changed my mind. I prefer the threads focusing on people rather than gear, and I would not like to see the focus here shift toward gear any more than it already is. Just my rambling thoughts. (Art, where's your word salad shooter!?? lol)

I think a dedicated subforum for buying/selling would enhance the site. It's incredibly easy to avoid subforums you have no interest in.

With that said, the recent "dark mode" implementation is a good example of how things get done around here. Unless someone is going to do the work to make the changes happen (a la Supergrobi), the idea of a buy/sell subforum is never going to go through. Plus, it seems like that would be added moderation duties, which I doubt the mods would want to do.

I have bought and sold a few times on TalkBass, and have had zero issues. I look at the Classified forums there occasionally, but mostly spend my time everywhere else on TB. The buy/sell section is not the main draw of the place, for me.
I come to DW for much the same reasons I go to TB- it's a good place to learn from others, offer what info I can, be silly sometimes, and hang with people I like.

If the Classifieds here were expanded into a "proper" sales section, it might change things some, but I'd still hope DW would be largely the same. If the mods and peeps here remain as now, it shouldn't change much, and obvious new peeps are new. Some may come, sell, and leave, some may stay and contribute something more. I'm still kinda new here myself, but this is how forums work, I think.

All that said, I won't be buying much for a while, so I'll be watching from the sidelines. I'm done buying stuff, I need no more, and playing it is good. :)

Last edited:
I think I prefer the one thread, to be honest. It keeps everything in one place, which means that if I'm looking for something I can just look up a keyword on the page, and if there are pictures and a description, I don't have to click into another thread; it's all right there in one place. Worst case scenario I can click around to another page and repeat the process, but with a subforum, I have to click through a couple threads if there's anything that interests me.

There's also the added bonus that everyone gets more traffic on their listing with everything being in one place; everyone looking at gear for sale goes to the one thread, and might come across a post of mine that might not have been what they were seeking, but ended up being something that they liked, and helps me sell the thing I'm selling.

DFO doesn't give you the option to delete your own posts, so as long as we can delete our own stuff, I don't think it really makes much difference in the end whether it's one thread or a whole subforum. We have the power to ignore things we aren't interested in, so if you're not looking to buy or sell anything, it's well within your power to skip over that one single thread, and get on with your day.

I have bought and sold from the classifieds on this forum. You post what your selling, post a few photos, add a price and move on. If a buyer doesn't like the price , he or she can barter or haggle by PM. And soon as a subforum is posted someone is going to want a section for drums, snares, cymbals etc etc etc. If you have something to sell post it, want to buy something, go look. Write down the date you last looked and start from there next time. Come on guys. !!!!!! This is a drum forum and not a musical instrument sell site.

As Bill Goodman would say, "Tell a buddy, bring a friend. Don't you dare miss it!"

I know that comment doesn't move the conversation forward, but I've been trying to figure out how to work it ever since I first read the "buy/sell/trade" portion of the thread title. Growing up seeing the commercials for his gun & knife shows, that saying is now embedded in my memory and is a core response to "buy, sell, trade." Thanks for listening. I'll save the rest for the therapist.

I have bought and sold from the classifieds on this forum. You post what your selling, post a few photos, add a price and move on. If a buyer doesn't like the price , he or she can barter or haggle by PM. And soon as a subforum is posted someone is going to want a section for drums, snares, cymbals etc etc etc. If you have something to sell post it, want to buy something, go look. Write down the date you last looked and start from there next time. Come on guys. !!!!!! This is a drum forum and not a musical instrument sell site.

What should I do if I lose the date I wrote down? Or I can't remember?

Where's the left stick needed sub forum? I need a left stick, not a right. I have dozens of right ones, the left ones all seem to be missing or malfunctioning. It certainly has nothing to with me, I'm perfection personified so it has to be that pesky left stick.

Wouldn't a seller be contributing to the enjoyment of the buyer? Maybe the buyer then posts to the "your playing" thread and begins a new discussion.
Too much black and white discussion when the reality is laden with many tones of grey.

My point was, any of it is a contribution to the forum.
There has been this assumption that 1000s will join only to spam us with their wares in order to enrich themselves. I highly doubt that would be the case and even if it was, no one has to even look at their postings. One could go so far as to mute that particular thread and only view when they are in the market for an item.

Perhaps some seller posts the elusive XPK 16" floor tom that I'm after, they contributed to me and I get enjoyment.

This place is laden with strong opinions and the idea that their opinion is the only right one, when in actuality, no opinion is either right or wrong it is but an opinion from a single perspective. Of that perspective, we only know what the poster wishes to share and nothing more of the underlying details of their opinion.
Not everyone has to be right all the time.

To be the devil's advocate: What about the instatwitface "drummers" who post video after video only increase their profile, views, and likes and perhaps gain monetization of their YouTube channel yet contribute nothing of actual value to their fellow drummers? Aren't they akin to the person who only seeks to sell items for their own gain?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back