I wish we had a subforum for buy/sell/trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Kind of disappointed we didn't have any input from the mods what with all the brown nosing going on in this thread.
Brown nosing, where?? Send me cash money and I would still vote against it. Members to this day won't go back and post that their items have sold. So after 90 days, they disappear.

harryconway

Platinum Member
I have bought and sold from the classifieds on this forum. You post what your selling, post a few photos, add a price and move on. If a buyer doesn't like the price , he or she can barter or haggle by PM. And soon as a subforum is posted someone is going to want a section for drums, snares, cymbals etc etc etc. If you have something to sell post it, want to buy something, go look. Write down the date you last looked and start from there next time. Come on guys. !!!!!! This is a drum forum and not a musical instrument sell site.
Many would join just to sell and not contribute to the forum. don't need that
Brown nosing, where?? Send me cash money and I would still vote against it. Members to this day won't go back and post that their items have sold. So after 90 days, they disappear.

Attachments

• clapping.gif
    clapping.gif
    263.1 KB · Views: 0

someguy01

Where's the left stick needed sub forum? I need a left stick, not a right. I have dozens of right ones, the left ones all seem to be missing or malfunctioning. It certainly has nothing to with me, I'm perfection personified so it has to be that pesky left stick.

Old PIT Guy

Just like the Your Playing section.

It's a patently false equivalence to equate joining a forum to sell drum equipment with little to no other engagement with the membership and posting video samples of your playing with similar engagement. The site is named Drummerworld, not BuyandSellDrumsWorld. The player is contributing to the forum; the seller is contributing to his bank. When the item is sold the "contribution" is deleted. The video is a permanent record.

someguy01

Wouldn't a seller be contributing to the enjoyment of the buyer? Maybe the buyer then posts to the "your playing" thread and begins a new discussion.
Too much black and white discussion when the reality is laden with many tones of grey.

Old PIT Guy

Wouldn't a seller be contributing to the enjoyment of the buyer? Maybe the buyer then posts to the "your playing" thread and begins a new discussion.
Too much black and white discussion when the reality is laden with many tones of grey.

The context was people who join the forum only to sell items, and then making that analogous to posting videos and not joining in other conversations, or doing very little of that. I don't see those two things as equal in any way. Beyond that, it's not my playpen. I'm only offering a personal opinion on it. If the site were to set up a comprehensive commerce section I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. That's for sure.

someguy01

My point was, any of it is a contribution to the forum.
There has been this assumption that 1000s will join only to spam us with their wares in order to enrich themselves. I highly doubt that would be the case and even if it was, no one has to even look at their postings. One could go so far as to mute that particular thread and only view when they are in the market for an item.

Perhaps some seller posts the elusive XPK 16" floor tom that I'm after, they contributed to me and I get enjoyment.

This place is laden with strong opinions and the idea that their opinion is the only right one, when in actuality, no opinion is either right or wrong it is but an opinion from a single perspective. Of that perspective, we only know what the poster wishes to share and nothing more of the underlying details of their opinion.
Not everyone has to be right all the time.

To be the devil's advocate: What about the instatwitface "drummers" who post video after video only increase their profile, views, and likes and perhaps gain monetization of their YouTube channel yet contribute nothing of actual value to their fellow drummers? Aren't they akin to the person who only seeks to sell items for their own gain?

Old PIT Guy

And my only two points were, and still are, that musicians' enthusiast forums of any type that develop popular for sale sections tend to degrade in terms of quality as gear becomes the focus and competes with the content related to playing. And no, that's not a guarantee, just like no one expects 1000s of new members posting for sale ads and nothing else.

Point 2 was there's already a popular drum forum with more of a focus on gear and selling that is free to use. Would you want someone to divvy up a couple of acres for trailers in your neighborhood when there's a perfectly good trailer park right down the road?

someguy01

Would you want someone to divvy up a couple of acres for trailers in your neighborhood when there's a perfectly good trailer park right down the road?
That would be fine with me, everyone needs a place to live.
FYI: that comment drips with elitism, as if someone in a single wide is somehow less-than.

Old PIT Guy

FYI: that comment drips with elitism, as if someone in a single wide is somehow less-than.

It's not elitism, it's a metaphor. Maybe you'll get the subforum you want, who knows. I really don't care all that much about it with ebay and the other forum if and when I need to sell something since both have much larger audiences for sales.

EhhSoCheap

And my only two points were, and still are, that musicians' enthusiast forums of any type that develop popular for sale sections tend to degrade in terms of quality as gear becomes the focus and competes with the content related to playing. And no, that's not a guarantee, just like no one expects 1000s of new members posting for sale ads and nothing else.

Point 2 was there's already a popular drum forum with more of a focus on gear and selling that is free to use. Would you want someone to divvy up a couple of acres for trailers in your neighborhood when there's a perfectly good trailer park right down the road?

If we build a trailer park here, people who don't want to put their trailers in the other trailer park will have somewhere to put their trailers.

Old PIT Guy

I guess I better explain the trailer metaphor before the McCarthy cancel hearing starts since it's relative to the context in which it appears and very few in this thread seem interested with context. If a trailer park (a forum steeped in sales) already exists close by, why would you want to lower the value of your home (forum more for players) by planting trailers (for sale sections) in or near your home if an established for sale zone (existing trailer park) already exists right down the road?

And with that the defense rests.

Darth Vater

I'm availing myself from this point forward for anyone else who wants to pile on. My masochistic tendencies have taken over.

Oh there's plenty of elitism here and it's not necessarily from the guys who like gear. 🤫

Supergrobi

Technical Supervisor
In my opinion this discussion circles around two different concepts - forums for exchanging ideas and virtual content on one hand and market places for exchanging goods and payments on the other. I fear that as soon as there's a dedicated site on this forum explicitly aiming at connecting people from all over the world for executing financial and tangible transactions, this could easily be perceived as a virtual market place legally, introducing a load of legal-, responsibility-, data protection-, tax- and insurance issues, executed under various countries laws - all apart from the technical effort and the hassle around moderation.

Just as an example: anyone knows how to legally handle the German DSGVO (data protection law), if someone from Australia - according to the sub-forums intention - sends me his banking account via private communication, which is then stored in the database of the forum, living on a hard drive located in New York, run by a Swiss guy - and then asks me to delete it? At least I would have to pay an experienced lawyer to answer this question.

These issues are sorted on market place systems by design - they come with proper payment implementations taking care of legal and tax part on a global level (to take up on the example above: no need to communicate/store banking accounts or other sensitive data on the platform itself), they are proof to all kinds of data protection and business laws (e.g. in Germany one has to offer a button stating something like "buy now at the buyers expense" to execute a legally proof and incontestable deal online), responsibilities are clear from the moment of installation, they take care of all kinds of clean-ups without any further action to be taken by moderators (well, in fact there's no moderators necessary, the staffs requirements looks quite different), no need to "install scripts" on the technical side - they are built with this exact intent in mind. Although those are meant to just sell goods from a single entity, not something like a virtual flea market like ebay, which introduces another load of legal issues to prevent from fraud and trickery, executed by some drive-by scammers.

In my opinion it's two completely different things, maybe like comparing a readers circle to a grocery store.

To anticipate "but other forums":

This is the forum I am talking about, not something other people are running - even falling under quite different jurisdictions. If there's a legal issue under Swiss law and @Bernhard gets sued for whatever reason (his jurisdictions laws differs big time from the US ones and are most likely much more strict when it comes to executing business), he will be left on his own - without the people running other forums and without the users or staff of this forum. He's in charge then, nobody else. Please think about the responsibilities you're asking for to be paid / taken care of by the owner.

No offense, no bad feelings, not even something pro or con this general forums orientation (personally I'd love to scroll through honest and valuable drum-related advertises!), just my 2€ct I would consider first if it was me sitting in the hot seat.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
If we build a trailer park here, people who don't want to put their trailers in the other trailer park will have somewhere to put their trailers.
Right, so go to the General section and post your ad in the classified section.

Status
Not open for further replies.