I wish we had a subforum for buy/sell/trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stroman

Platinum Member
Funny, when this thread was first posted, I was thinking, "Yeah, the classified thread is a little unwieldy. A subforum might be nice!" But after ready through all the posts, I believe I have changed my mind. I prefer the threads focusing on people rather than gear, and I would not like to see the focus here shift toward gear any more than it already is. Just my rambling thoughts. (Art, where's your word salad shooter!?? lol)

EhhSoCheap

I think a dedicated subforum for buying/selling would enhance the site. It's incredibly easy to avoid subforums you have no interest in.

With that said, the recent "dark mode" implementation is a good example of how things get done around here. Unless someone is going to do the work to make the changes happen (a la Supergrobi), the idea of a buy/sell subforum is never going to go through. Plus, it seems like that would be added moderation duties, which I doubt the mods would want to do.

Darth Vater

Kind of disappointed we didn't have any input from the mods what with all the brown nosing going on in this thread.

wraub

I have bought and sold a few times on TalkBass, and have had zero issues. I look at the Classified forums there occasionally, but mostly spend my time everywhere else on TB. The buy/sell section is not the main draw of the place, for me.
I come to DW for much the same reasons I go to TB- it's a good place to learn from others, offer what info I can, be silly sometimes, and hang with people I like.

If the Classifieds here were expanded into a "proper" sales section, it might change things some, but I'd still hope DW would be largely the same. If the mods and peeps here remain as now, it shouldn't change much, and obvious new peeps are new. Some may come, sell, and leave, some may stay and contribute something more. I'm still kinda new here myself, but this is how forums work, I think.

All that said, I won't be buying much for a while, so I'll be watching from the sidelines. I'm done buying stuff, I need no more, and playing it is good. :)

Last edited:

Thin Shell

I have bought and sold a few times on TalkBass, and have had zero issues. I look at the Classified forums there occasionally, but mostly spend my time there everywhere else on TB. The buy/sell section is not the main draw of the place, for me.
I come to DW for much the same reasons I go to TB- it's a good place to learn from others, offer what info I can, be silly sometimes, and hang with people I like.

If the Classifieds here were expanded into a "proper" sales section, it might change things some, but I'd still hope DW would be largely the same. If the mods and peeps here remain as now, it shouldn't change much, and obvious new peeps are new. Some may come, sell, and leave, some may stay and contribute something more. I'm still kinda new here myself, but this is how forums work, I think.

All that said, I won't be buying much for a while, so I'll be watching from the sidelines. I'm done buying stuff, I need no more, and playing it is good. :)
Go back and read my post #40. That explains all you need to know. In short, making this a site known for buying and selling will attract the kind of "peeps" that will change this site drastically.

Darth Vater

Go back and read my post #40. That explains all you need to know. In short, making this a site known for buying and selling will attract the kind of "peeps" that will change this site drastically.
You'd make a good authoritarian politican. Similar to the one we just fired in the US. All you've done is promulgate the worst case scenarios possible without even considering what might become a nice addition to the forum. Hell, They could put it as sub/subforum in the drum gear subforum and probably the only people who'd know it was there would be the membership. I don't think your "fears" are justified. I'd get it if you were a mod here but you're not. So we'll put you down as being vehemently against it without factual justification.

Last edited:

Thin Shell

Do you know how to read? I spelled exactly my experience with another forum. Gearheads, flippers, "collectors", and generally people who don't play the drums is my experience. Ultimately it isn't up to you or me. The owner and the mods are the ones who will make that decision. Considering you would not have to do any of the work associated with what you propose, it's easy to get upset that you aren't getting what you want. I don't think your opinion is any more valid than mine.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I thought the thread asked for comments - like let’s discuss. I don’t see any reason for snarky/snide remarks when anyone disagrees. WTH is wrong with you folks. Let’s discuss turns into let’s fight. Civility might work better- just a suggestion.

dwsabianguy

I think I prefer the one thread, to be honest. It keeps everything in one place, which means that if I'm looking for something I can just look up a keyword on the page, and if there are pictures and a description, I don't have to click into another thread; it's all right there in one place. Worst case scenario I can click around to another page and repeat the process, but with a subforum, I have to click through a couple threads if there's anything that interests me.

There's also the added bonus that everyone gets more traffic on their listing with everything being in one place; everyone looking at gear for sale goes to the one thread, and might come across a post of mine that might not have been what they were seeking, but ended up being something that they liked, and helps me sell the thing I'm selling.

DFO doesn't give you the option to delete your own posts, so as long as we can delete our own stuff, I don't think it really makes much difference in the end whether it's one thread or a whole subforum. We have the power to ignore things we aren't interested in, so if you're not looking to buy or sell anything, it's well within your power to skip over that one single thread, and get on with your day.

beet

You'd make a good authoritarian politican. Similar to the one we just fired in the US. All you've done is promulgate the worst case scenarios possible without even considering what might become a nice addition to the forum. Hell, They could put it as sub/subforum in the drum gear subforum and probably the only people who'd know it was there would be the membership. I don't think your "fears" are justified. I'd get it if you were a mod here but you're not. So we'll put you down as being vehemently against it without factual justification.
So now we know what the dark side looks like. 🤣

harryconway

Platinum Member
Comments?
OK.
A lot of handwringing in here. ....... If it's a bad deal, scroll on by.
Fingerprints and mugshots too? C'mon cb. :rolleyes:
Oh ..... so I guess there's rules. You want ONLY comments that agree/support your view.
You probably shouldn't go out of the house. :unsure::rolleyes:
Nursemaids??? That tells me that you don't have much confidence in the membership.
Some serious negativity going on here. Many dubious assumptions as well. My favorites being that many people are making a profit buying and selling drums (LOL, you're joking right?) and "I've seen a lot STUFF go down". Do tell? I guess @harryconway also has ESP and doesn't need to use a classified section? WTH?

Kind of disappointed we didn't have any input from the mods what with all the brown nosing going on in this thread.
So ..... I guess anyone with an opinion contrary to yours gets disparaged, ridiculed, and denigrated.

A J

I visit this forum to get away from politics, not to embrace it.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I have bought and sold from the classifieds on this forum. You post what your selling, post a few photos, add a price and move on. If a buyer doesn't like the price , he or she can barter or haggle by PM. And soon as a subforum is posted someone is going to want a section for drums, snares, cymbals etc etc etc. If you have something to sell post it, want to buy something, go look. Write down the date you last looked and start from there next time. Come on guys. !!!!!! This is a drum forum and not a musical instrument sell site.

Lee-Bro

As Bill Goodman would say, "Tell a buddy, bring a friend. Don't you dare miss it!"

I know that comment doesn't move the conversation forward, but I've been trying to figure out how to work it ever since I first read the "buy/sell/trade" portion of the thread title. Growing up seeing the commercials for his gun & knife shows, that saying is now embedded in my memory and is a core response to "buy, sell, trade." Thanks for listening. I'll save the rest for the therapist.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I agree with Old PIT Guy. This site has more of a focus on playing drums than buying and selling drums. Sure, we talk about working on drums, drum recommendations and new acquisitions, but there isn't a heavy focus on having the largest collection or buying and flipping.

If we have a strong for sale section here, we will draw in a element that I personally don't think would be a positive thing for this site. This site has a lot going for it. Not kissing anyone's butt here but, engaged and even handed moderation, good group of members and a minimum of gassers. Gassers suck the life out of a forum because that's all they are interested in. You end up with thread after thread of people showing off their "inventories" and asking if they have too much stuff, which are really meant to illicit replies justifying their behavior. Before you know it, that is the focus of the forum.

Over at that other forum, there is a guy who posts a picture of all of his gear every year. This year it is eight drum kits, a couple of which are big enough to make two still large kits, 10 snare drums along with an e-kit. He has since bought more stuff. His signature is 21 lines long, not counting blank lines to separate the different categories. That post is pushing 50 likes.

If you counted everything he has bought and sold, the list would be easily three to four times longer. This is pretty much the norm, although this particular guy is the King of GAS for sure. There are professionals who don't have anywhere near the amount of gear some of these guys have.
And the playing ability, nothing to write home about.

Don't get me started on Barn Boy.

Trust me, we don't need that mentality here.
Many would join just to sell and not contribute to the forum. don't need that

EhhSoCheap

I have bought and sold from the classifieds on this forum. You post what your selling, post a few photos, add a price and move on. If a buyer doesn't like the price , he or she can barter or haggle by PM. And soon as a subforum is posted someone is going to want a section for drums, snares, cymbals etc etc etc. If you have something to sell post it, want to buy something, go look. Write down the date you last looked and start from there next time. Come on guys. !!!!!! This is a drum forum and not a musical instrument sell site.

What should I do if I lose the date I wrote down? Or I can't remember?

Status
Not open for further replies.