I wish we had a subforum for buy/sell/trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darth Vater

UPS and FedEx are known for destroying or misdelivering shipments. When they don’t pay for an insurance claim due to so-called poor packaging or saying that they did deliver it correctly, there is a point of conflict on who pays for the loss. Why bring more conflict into this site?
You probably shouldn't go out of the house. :unsure::rolleyes:

harryconway

Platinum Member
No, no, no, no, no ......

Bernhard and the mods. have enough to do already ..... without having to also be nursemaids to a buyer/seller platform.

Reactions: A J

Darth Vater

Bernhard and the mods. have enough to do already ..... without having to also be nursemaids to a buyer/seller platform.

Nursemaids??? That tells me that you don't have much confidence in the membership. We already have a buy/sell thread but it's a PITA because you have to enter at the last post and scroll backwards to have any kind relevance to the present.

If you open the General Discussion page the two threads with the most posts are the Classified thread and the What's your latest purchase thread and it's not even close with the others. My suggestion is just to improve on something that we already have.

Last edited:

beet

Nursemaids??? That tells me that you don't have much confidence in the membership. We already have a buy/sell thread but it's a PITA because you have to enter at the last post and scroll backwards to have any kind relevance to the present.

If you open the General Discussion page the two threads with the most posts are the Classified thread and the What's your latest purchase thread and it's not even close with the others. My suggestion is just to improve on something that we already have.
The classified thread has had 36 posts in the last 30 days so that makes it about one post per day. It has some activity but I wouldn’t consider it so significant. I’m sure if it were better organized it would have more posts though. I think some of the debate is whether DW as a whole is better off with a focus on buying and selling.

As far as reducing admin maintenance of old posts, would you accept an auto deletion of posts after a set time limit?

Darth Vater

The classified thread has had 36 posts in the last 30 days so that makes it about one post per day. It has some activity but I wouldn’t consider it so significant. I’m sure if it were better organized it would have more posts though. I think some of the debate is whether DW as a whole is better off with a focus on buying and selling.

As far as reducing admin maintenance of old posts, would you accept an auto deletion of posts after a set time limit?

It's not up to me to accept anything. I'm just one of the lemmings here. But yeah, why not? Like I said, what we have currently is pretty useless. I'm just throwing this out there to see what others think about improving it. Also, I don't know if more cliks mean mo' money for the website. That's something that I'm sure would be considered by the powers that be.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
I think some people will want to turn the “watch” function on in the area/subforum and get a detailed notification when new items are posted, such as user xyz posted Pearl Export 20” BD for sale.

The current auto deletion function saves the admins a lot of hassle. (DFO has a large subforum for gear and requires admin housekeeping.) If entire threads in a classified subforum can be automatically deleted after a set period, maintenance probably wouldn’t increase. A new subforum post would give out the notification and the auto delete would take care of cleanup. Requiring a user to have a minimum number of other posts to post in the classified section could help reduce spam.

@Supergrobi could help discuss low-maintenance alternatives 😀
I wish some one would tell me about the auto-deletion function. I am in their constantly deleting posts thay say Sold, or once older than 90 days!!!!!

beet

I wish some one would tell me about the auto-deletion function. I am in their constantly deleting posts thay say Sold, or once older than 90 days!!!!!
Oh. Then I am mistaken. I thought the current classified thread auto-deleted posts over 30 days old by a script. If not, maybe @Supergrobi could schedule one. Manual maintenance is awful.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Nursemaids??? That tells me that you don't have much confidence in the membership.
Not that I have "no confidence" in the membership ...... but general observation is ...... money changes everything. Been here 15+ years ..... seen a lot of "stuff" go down, and money wasn't involved. Adding that to the equation just seems like a bad idea ...... and with FB Marketplace, eBay, Reverb, CraigsList, etc. already providing buyer/seller platforms ..... I just see little reward for that trouble.

And by the way, I have sold drums to members here. Didn't have to use the classified section at all.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I do with they would at least divide the thread by location. Looking at hot deals in Europe doesn't work for those of us in the USA, and vise versa.

Old PIT Guy

A lot of handwringing in here. I'd argue we mostly have a lot of the same people on here most of the time. You think the IRS cares if you sell a snare once every three months? Also friends and family paypal circumvents the fraud protection so just don't use it or accept it. A couple simple rules would prevent that. Trailer park flippers and gassers????? It's up to you to know the value of something you want to buy. If it's a bad deal, scroll on by.

(1) It's not handwringing, it's an opinion formed from observation. (2) I think the IRS cares if you routinely profit from reselling. Don't report those profits for the year and then try to reconcile the 1099 they received from PayPal you didn't feel compelled to mention on your taxes if you don't believe me. (3) The point I was making, as someone else echoed, is that given the sublimation of slavish consumption for actually playing an instrument, a dedicated FS section can draw a trailer parky element of, yes, gassers and flippers. You can play the drums or you can buy and sell the drums. This forum strikes me as one with an emphasis on the former.

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
Seems like an invitation for headaches. I like the forum has been about folks giving/exchanging/selling drum stuff that might come up on any thread. So a forum member suffers a loss then DW good folks offer a rescue. I never pay attention to classified- it’s always seemed more spontaneous amongst members -I like that. It’s funny in parallel to this thread there is the “don’t you just hate drum flippers” thread. Cosmic equilibrium lol

A J

Agreed. This forum is currently the best drum forum on the Internet. Why screw it up by adding a marketplace?

I'm a member of another forum; a firearms collectors community. It has a marketplace. It has been nothing but trouble; a huge headache for moderators. Scammers, member call-outs, disputes, legal issues, shipping, taxes, etc... No thanks.

Darth Vater

Some serious negativity going on here. Many dubious assumptions as well. My favorites being that many people are making a profit buying and selling drums (LOL, you're joking right?) and "I've seen a lot STUFF go down". Do tell? I guess @harryconway also has ESP and doesn't need to use a classified section? WTH?

When I started this thread I was thinking it would be nice to be able to sell some tom arms, cymbal stand bases, or maybe even an occasional snare drum that I wasn't using. Most likely for a fair amount LESS than I paid for it. You know, maybe help somebody less fortunate out. But hey, you've already turned it into a meeting place for the criminal element! Jeesh, some of you guys are worse than a church ladies tea group.

Maybe it's a bad idea for this constituency. Heaven forbid somebody posts a kit for sale on here for say $1200 or a snare for $400. I can hear it now........"You could get a Strange Custom or an ackolite for half that amount!" or "You've only been on here for 5-6 years. How do I know you aren't a scammer?" :rolleyes: ;)

I'm out. Peace.

Last edited:

organworthyplayer337

Some serious negativity going on here. Many dubious assumptions as well. My favorites being that many people are making a profit buying and selling drums (LOL, you're joking right?) and "I've seen a lot STUFF go down". Do tell? I guess @harryconway also has ESP and doesn't need to use a classified section? WTH?

When I started this thread I was thinking it would be nice to be able to sell some tom arms, cymbal stand bases, or maybe even an occasional snare drum that I wasn't using. Most likely for a fair amount LESS than I paid for it. You know, maybe help somebody less fortunate out. But hey, you've already turned it into a meeting place for the criminal element! Jeesh, some of you guys are worse than a church ladies tea group.

Maybe it's a bad idea for this constituency. Heaven forbid somebody posts a kit for sale on here for say $1200 or a snare for $400. I can hear it now........"You could get a Strange Custom or an ackolite for half that amount!" or "You've only been on here for 5-6 years. How do I know you aren't a scammer?" :rolleyes: ;)

I'm out. Peace.
I’ve been on the TalkBass forum for about 7 years. They have a classified section. It’s one of the best aspects of the site. Great items being sold by people that know what they are talking about, great prices, safe payment options, friendly negotiation, etc.

But then again, the TalkBass community is tight knit and there is an unspoken honor system amongst the members there. I see that the members here don’t share the same confidence, which in turn makes me not want to buy anything from them.

I think it would be a great addition, it is definitely implementable, and would be beneficial. It would be a great market for snares and cymbals I can just feel. But quite a strange reaction from the members here at the suggestion. Very strange.

When I first got on here and check out the classified thread I was like, I wonder if anyone actually sells anything on here. Doesn’t look conducive.

Oh well 😂

For those looking for an optimal buying/selling experience, TB has a Classfied subforum devoted to not bass related gear. Sometimes drum stuff ends up on there, could be worth checking in on every once in a while.

TB remains unmatched!

Old PIT Guy

I honestly don't know why someone looking to buy and sell wouldn't go where buying and selling is already popular and well established. I posted the link to the Gas kingdom for drums. It's a click away and a few posts and you're listing gear. I just don't understand why there's a need for commerce to be everywhere. But that's the state of the world I suppose.

Thin Shell

I agree with Old PIT Guy. This site has more of a focus on playing drums than buying and selling drums. Sure, we talk about working on drums, drum recommendations and new acquisitions, but there isn't a heavy focus on having the largest collection or buying and flipping.

If we have a strong for sale section here, we will draw in a element that I personally don't think would be a positive thing for this site. This site has a lot going for it. Not kissing anyone's butt here but, engaged and even handed moderation, good group of members and a minimum of gassers. Gassers suck the life out of a forum because that's all they are interested in. You end up with thread after thread of people showing off their "inventories" and asking if they have too much stuff, which are really meant to illicit replies justifying their behavior. Before you know it, that is the focus of the forum.

Over at that other forum, there is a guy who posts a picture of all of his gear every year. This year it is eight drum kits, a couple of which are big enough to make two still large kits, 10 snare drums along with an e-kit. He has since bought more stuff. His signature is 21 lines long, not counting blank lines to separate the different categories. That post is pushing 50 likes.

If you counted everything he has bought and sold, the list would be easily three to four times longer. This is pretty much the norm, although this particular guy is the King of GAS for sure. There are professionals who don't have anywhere near the amount of gear some of these guys have.
And the playing ability, nothing to write home about.

Don't get me started on Barn Boy.

Trust me, we don't need that mentality here.

Status
Not open for further replies.