I wish we had a subforum for buy/sell/trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

beet

I think some people will want to turn the “watch” function on in the area/subforum and get a detailed notification when new items are posted, such as user xyz posted Pearl Export 20” BD for sale.

The current auto deletion function saves the admins a lot of hassle. (DFO has a large subforum for gear and requires admin housekeeping.) If entire threads in a classified subforum can be automatically deleted after a set period, maintenance probably wouldn’t increase. A new subforum post would give out the notification and the auto delete would take care of cleanup. Requiring a user to have a minimum number of other posts to post in the classified section could help reduce spam.

@Supergrobi could help discuss low-maintenance alternatives 😀

Last edited:

beet

On the subject of improving some old threads, I would suggest work on the teacher’s thread and the book review thread. Giving those threads subforums would be more useful in education IMO, which is more important than gear [turn all shields on full to deflect flying tom arms].

For the teachers thread, ask some teachers for suggestions. Some ideas would be to have a regional structure and then each teacher can post in their own thread and post various things regularly. Tasteful self-promotion is encouraged through tips, short lessons and videos. For teachers threads, I would prefer that only teachers post in their own threads. Others can send PMs and then the teacher can respond in the thread if they choose. There are other places to have an alternative viewpoint so let the teacher of the thread control what is said. Of course admins can delete offensive posts or delete the entire thread if necessary.

For books/dvds, each book can have their own thread and people can post feedback on the book in as much detail as they like. The first post can be links to prior discussions of the book. Subsequent posts are like any other thread.

Last edited:

Darth Vater

How would it differ from the current thread?
Each item(s) would be it's own thread. You would open the subforum and see each thread that a seller had created. I'd also add that with today's 'net based payment systems, PayPal/Venmo, fraud is reduced to practically zero. That, and a minimum post count required, would keep the spammers and bots away. Again, just tossing this out there for consideration.

Neal Pert

I’d agree 100%.

Superman

Gold Member
Yes, our own reverb type section would be great.

Stroman

Platinum Member
Each item(s) would be it's own thread. You would open the subforum and see each thread that a seller had created. I'd also add that with today's 'net based payment systems, PayPal/Venmo, fraud is reduced to practically zero. That, and a minimum post count required, would keep the spammers and bots away. Again, just tossing this out there for consideration.
As someone who works in the financial industry, I would disagree that fraud is practically zero with PayPal/Venmo. We deal with it all the time. I do agree it does reduce fraud, through.

And I agree, it would be nice to have a subforum for classifieds.

Darth Vater

Yes, our own reverb type section would be great.
Better actually because you could eliminate their cut as well as state sales tax which is what Reverb kind of started out to be.

As someone who works in the financial industry, I would disagree that fraud is practically zero with PayPal/Venmo. We deal with it all the time. I do agree it does reduce fraud, through.

And I agree, it would be nice to have a subforum for classifieds.
I stand corrected on my potential for fraud. I kind of pulled that number out of thin air. I've never used Venmo but I've never had a problem with PayPal. Especially if it's bank account backed. Even if you tie it to a credit card you're relatively safe.

Stroman

Platinum Member
Better actually because you could eliminate their cut as well as state sales tax which is what Reverb kind of started out to be.

I stand corrected on my potential for fraud. I kind of pulled that number out of thin air. I've never used Venmo but I've never had a problem with PayPal. Especially if it's bank account backed. Even if you tie it to a credit card you're relatively safe.
In general, the consumer is fairly safe in most cases, if they use any common sense at all. Even if you're just using a credit card, you're protected from scams, but the financial institutions end up eating the loss. Pay Pal and Venmo also offer protections, but they are not immune to fraud.

Disclosure - I work for a credit union, not a bank or investment firm. We're a fairly small institution, but we do regularly have members who experience fraud via PayPal and Venmo.

I love this idea. But as someone who just bought something from a stranger long-distance via Venmo for the first time, I believe Venmo specifically says that they do not
provide against fraud when it comes to commercial transactions, and recommends only using their services for money transfers between friends and family.
PayPal does provide fraud protection, but I believe only if you click the "commercial transaction" button, meaning they take their 5% (or whatever it is).

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Just a thought - wouldn't this create a ton of fly by night members that just want to sell gear but bypass ebay, reverb, etc? Then the forum must house all their photos also. Doesnt this cause a problem?

Do we want 25 new "Gammon 5 peace, black, new symbols" threads a day?

Lee-Bro

Just a thought - wouldn't this create a ton of fly by night members that just want to sell gear but bypass ebay, reverb, etc? Then the forum must house all their photos also. Doesnt this cause a problem?

Do we want 25 new "Gammon 5 peace, black, new symbols" threads a day?
People mentioned one of the ways to curb this: a previous post count minimum. Other barriers from spammers could include: accounts need to be aged a certain amount of time, posts are pending review/approval, members could be limited to a set number of free posts in a set time period, more than that, there could be a posting fee.

Just spitballin'.

Old PIT Guy

It would be convenient to have a FS sub-forum for the occasional item but you'll be inviting the trailer park flippers and gassers who will post enough to meet a threshold and then only post when they're selling something. And we've seen what that does to other forums. And cue the endless explanations on why not to accept 'friends and family' PP payments because they're trying to get around the IRS.

cbphoto

Gold Member
People mentioned one of the ways to curb this: a previous post count minimum. Other barriers from spammers could include: accounts need to be aged a certain amount of time, posts are pending review/approval, members could be limited to a set number of free posts in a set time period, more than that, there could be a posting fee.

Just spitballin'.
They should have videos of them playing the instruments.

beet

It would be convenient to have a FS sub-forum for the occasional item but you'll be inviting the trailer park flippers and gassers who will post enough to meet a threshold and then only post when they're selling something. And we've seen what that does to other forums. And cue the endless explanations on why not to accept 'friends and family' PP payments because they're trying to get around the IRS.
DFO has many posters who are focused on buying/selling/shipping. There is a lot of discussion on it that takes the focus away from playing drums.

Reactions: A J

beet

I love this idea. But as someone who just bought something from a stranger long-distance via Venmo for the first time, I believe Venmo specifically says that they do not
provide against fraud when it comes to commercial transactions, and recommends only using their services for money transfers between friends and family.
PayPal does provide fraud protection, but I believe only if you click the "commercial transaction" button, meaning they take their 5% (or whatever it is).
UPS and FedEx are known for destroying or misdelivering shipments. When they don’t pay for an insurance claim due to so-called poor packaging or saying that they did deliver it correctly, there is a point of conflict on who pays for the loss. Why bring more conflict into this site?

Darth Vater

Then just use paypal.

A lot of handwringing in here. I'd argue we mostly have a lot of the same people on here most of the time. You think the IRS cares if you sell a snare once every three months? Also friends and family paypal circumvents the fraud protection so just don't use it or accept it. A couple simple rules would prevent that. Trailer park flippers and gassers????? It's up to you to know the value of something you want to buy. If it's a bad deal, scroll on by.

They should have videos of them playing the instruments.

Fingerprints and mugshots too? C'mon cb. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.