I wish I'd NEVER gotten rid of . . .

zambizzi

Platinum Member
A couple years ago just after I started drumming, I bought a load of cheap Paiste Alpha cymbals off of Craigslist. I think I got a ride, two crashes, and a china for $50. It was a great deal and I only got them to break up and sell on eBay. My wife picked them up and on the way out of her house, the lady handed my wife an old 22" Paiste prototype ride...for free. I sold it on eBay, not knowing what it was exactly...and it turned out to be a very rare prototype Sound Creation ride from the 70's. It fetched a nice buck but I wish I had just kept it.

I posted about it on here, back when it happened. A few folks (rightfully) verbally smacked me for getting rid of it. :)

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
Oddly, nothing. The few things I've sold were more things I wished I hadn't purchased.

But I wish I still had the Nooble & Colley snare drum that was stolen some years ago. That still hurts.

timmdrum

Silver Member
I have one, a Legend 6x14 maple snare in a honey amber finish. It had die-cast hoops & 10 lugs, which I thought was overkill, 'cause it made the drum kinda heavy. Plus, I had gained the Pacific maple snare with my kit and thought I didn't need two 14" maple snares. But, the Legend drum killed! Legend was Kaman music's brand before they picked up Gretsch, and although I wouldn't call them "collectible", it was somewhat rare, and a great drum. I sold it for $235, $35 more than I paid for it.

Crusto 62

Yamaha 9000 recording series in piano white.( Late '70s ) sold it in '84, the only kit I ever made money on. I bought it second hand in "82 for $700 and sold it for $1200. Nice little earn at the time but I wonder where it is now. It was a beautiful sounding kit. Maybe I'll get another ,one day.?

Derek

Silver Member
Some of you have read my lament about how I miss my Rogers kit, but even more that the kit itself, I'll always miss my COB (pre 1970) Dynasonic Snare.

T

trkdrmr

This kit. GRETSCH ROUND BADGE (of course)........Salmon Satin Flame (kind of a Chapagne colour).........
Bought it new in 1969...........sold it 1976...........ya makes your choices and ya lives with em - lol !
..and after his cover of the album Cream: wheels of fire he moved on to Mitch Mitchell's works...

jer

Silver Member
Friends cleaning house before a move gave me what I believed to have been a 60's Slingerland kit (Niles), was 13", 18" and 22".

Band was moving, could only take what we could fit in the van, needed the money. I sold them to a friend for $150 under the condition that I could someday buy them back for the same price.

He got desperate for cash and sold them before I could get them back.

I kinda wish I never traded in the snare that came with my first kit when I bought a new snare. Sentimental value.

elcid

Oh man. My first real kit was a slightly-used 60s Ludwig 5-piece, with the white insides, right, two up one down, silver sparkle finish. My dad bought it for $200 from a college student who needed the bread. It came with a Supraphonic, I believe, Speed King pedals and Zildijian cymbals.
What a fool I was when, years later, I just up and sold the whole damn thing. I still regret that to this very day.
And no, I'm going to say how much I sold it for.
In 1964 I bought a silver sparkle Ludwig Down Beat kit (20, 14, 12, 5x14 Supra) with all hardware, including an Speed King pedal, and two Zildjian 20" A rides and a pair of 15" A hats plus hard fiber cases; still have it and am playing it now days, although have added several drum pieces (16" and another 14" floor toms, a 9x13 rack tom, a 3x13 silver sparkle piccolo and '66 KB 6.5" Super Sensitive snare drums) since December of '07 when I began to plays drums again.
After am gone my son, who is also a drummer, will inherit it...along with the '80s Tama Superstar sets, one of which was purchased new in 1983...

-elcid

elcid

I have one, a Legend 6x14 maple snare in a honey amber finish. It had die-cast hoops & 10 lugs, which I thought was overkill, 'cause it made the drum kinda heavy. Plus, I had gained the Pacific maple snare with my kit and thought I didn't need two 14" maple snares. But, the Legend drum killed! Legend was Kaman music's brand before they picked up Gretsch, and although I wouldn't call them "collectible", it was somewhat rare, and a great drum. I sold it for $235, $35 more than I paid for it.
Legend drums are indeed rare since the company that made them folded many years ago.
They were extremely well made and finished like fine guitars (which is no coincidence since they were finished by the Ovation company who makes, well...guitars!), although there are some who believe that they were (are) too heavy to lug around.

Anyway, my son recently bought an 8-piece Legend drum kit finished in a candy apple red stain (fabulous looking, in new-like condition!) and which includes a 20" bass drum, 16" and 14" floor toms, 12", 10", and 8" rack toms (the latter were not outfitted with tom brackets thus they're "virgin" but were equipped with isolating rims with Pearl tom mounting brackets instead), a 5x13 matching and 4x14 Phosphor Bronze snare drums.
All drums were outfitted with brand new Remo, Evans, and Aquarian heads prior to be put up for sale.

The seller also had a 22" bass drum, 13" rack and 18" floor toms plus a 7x14 Phosphor Bronze snare drum (the one I really wanted to have!) available for sale and which were originally part of a candy apple red monster set. Unfortunately my son decided to forgo buying them at the time, something which he might wind up highly regretting in the future...

-elcid

Elvis

Silver Member
Yeah, you know that piece, or whole kit you got rid of only to find out some time later you were a FOOL for getting rid of it!!

I had an absolutely AWESOME and flawless kit of 1960's Ludwig Mod Orange that I got rid of when I decided that bigger kick drums were where I was going. It was a replica of John Densmore's kit, 13r, 16f, 22k with the rail mount and the bass drum cymbal holder too, I kept the 5-1/2 supra that was with it though, at least I didn't COMPLETELY loose my focus. Every piece of that kit was KILLER and I miss it's vintage goodness. The kick drum was ESPECIALLY huge sounding even given my love for bigger kick drums.

There are other cool sets and pieces that I got rid of for whatever reason, but I miss that one the most. *sigh*

Hmmm, past kits I wish I would've hung onto.
Probably my first kit, for one.
So "cheap" it didn't even have badges on it. Red sparkle, 20/12/14/14x4. Shells were paper thin with huge sound rings supporting them.
Outfit those drums with a set of coated Ambassadors and WOW, such a nice sound.
Got the kit for $90, got a (surprisingly nice sounding) Camber cymbal pack for $170. Complete set of heads probably another $60 (?)...so for a grand total of $320, I actually had one heck of a nice sounding kit.....and I sold it. =(
Traded it, actually, for another "el cheapo" kit that was for sale at a local music store.
5-piece CB-700 finished in "Tropical Blue" (I think sometimes called "Carribean Blue"). Another kit that didn't sound half bad, although not as nice as that first kit, looking back.
Those things were my workhorses, though. Built a lot "sturdier" than the first kit and a good sound for an up and coming Rock drummer. Full, resonant, but with ample power.
I later accented that kit with a little Rogers Twister Bop kit. Pretty ratty, but what do you expect for $150, OTD, from a music store?
Kinda wish I'd kept that, only because I ended up with a similarly sized kit...and I paid out more than 10 times the money, this time around. >I
The floor tom from the Rogers got grafted into the CB, and then that kit REALLY shined.
I basically ended up with two 4-piece setups that were both nice, in their own right, that shared the same Bass and snare drums.

Anyway, those are 3 kits I wish I had back and one that I'll probably never let go of.

Elvis

Attachments