I wish I'd NEVER gotten rid of . . .

Vipercussionist

Silver Member
Yeah, you know that piece, or whole kit you got rid of only to find out some time later you were a FOOL for getting rid of it!!

I had an absolutely AWESOME and flawless kit of 1960's Ludwig Mod Orange that I got rid of when I decided that bigger kick drums were where I was going. It was a replica of John Densmore's kit, 13r, 16f, 22k with the rail mount and the bass drum cymbal holder too, I kept the 5-1/2 supra that was with it though, at least I didn't COMPLETELY loose my focus. Every piece of that kit was KILLER and I miss it's vintage goodness. The kick drum was ESPECIALLY huge sounding even given my love for bigger kick drums.

There are other cool sets and pieces that I got rid of for whatever reason, but I miss that one the most. *sigh*

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
Yeah, you know that piece, or whole kit you got rid of only to find out some time later you were a FOOL for getting rid of it!!
My problem is that I hold on to gear, and I have to convince myself that I'll NEVER use something in order to get rid of it. In that vein, I'll say "no".

I have gotten rid of stuff that I wish I would have sold for more. When you get 30 replies within an hour of posting something on craigslist, you know your price was too low and you'll see it reposted for more that night...

J

jay norem

Oh man. My first real kit was a slightly-used 60s Ludwig 5-piece, with the white insides, right, two up one down, silver sparkle finish. My dad bought it for $200 from a college student who needed the bread. It came with a Supraphonic, I believe, Speed King pedals and Zildijian cymbals.
What a fool I was when, years later, I just up and sold the whole damn thing. I still regret that to this very day.
And no, I'm going to say how much I sold it for.

Nodiggie

Gold Member
late 70's Rogers 6-pce with cases and trap cases.
25+years later, I still feal sick.

Been trying for years to get photos of this kit on stage
from an old friend, but it's been like pullin' teeth to get them!

stasz

Platinum Member
Oh man. My first real kit was a slightly-used 60s Ludwig 5-piece, with the white insides, right, two up one down, silver sparkle finish. My dad bought it for $200 from a college student who needed the bread. It came with a Supraphonic, I believe, Speed King pedals and Zildijian cymbals.
What a fool I was when, years later, I just up and sold the whole damn thing. I still regret that to this very day.
And no, I'm going to say how much I sold it for.
We are all gear fanatics, ok. I think that ethically you cannot tell a juicy "wish I knew then what i know now" story like that and then just not tell us what it sold for!! lol. We NEED to know. What's it gonna take to get it out of you?? : )

J

jay norem

We are all gear fanatics, ok. I think that ethically you cannot tell a juicy "wish I knew then what i know now" story like that and then just not tell us what it sold for!! lol. We NEED to know. What's it gonna take to get it out of you?? : )
$400. I know. Okay, just kill me now. Please.

stasz

Platinum Member
$400. I know. Okay, just kill me now. Please.
Ouch... even considering inflation, that's sad to hear. On the bright side, someone out there now has a nice set of vintage super sparkle luds and supra and they got them on the cheap. : )

J

jay norem

Ouch... even considering inflation, that's sad to hear. On the bright side, someone out there now has a nice set of vintage super sparkle luds and supra and they got them on the cheap. : )
I was young, stupid and I needed the money. I just hope that whoever has them now knows what they have, you know what I mean?
Really, it breaks my heart to think about it.

Jeremy Bender

Platinum Member
Vintage Ludwigs and Turkish cymbals!? Oh, man. Since I'm a father, that just completly convinced me to keep everything I have for the kids. In fact, I think I need more new gear!

EDrums

If you've been playing long enough, I think everyone will eventually have "I wish I'd NEVER gotten rid of..." for me it was a set of round badge Gretchs in Marine pearl the bass drum still had a calf skin head on it. I was at least smart enough to keep the turkish zildjians.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
My 1960's Gretsch snare and Bass drum. I sold the snare in 1985 to a guy at work and then when I got back into drumming a few years ago I found out my son had given away my White pearl bass drum and my Zildjian 18" crash/ ride. Ouch.

KarlCrafton

Platinum Member
Fortunately (?) I only really have one....

A 20" older 60's or early 70's A Zildjian I sold.

It was an A, but it had a little darker sound, med thin, and had deeper groves than usual for the time.

It even had some pit marks, and a slight scrape that looked like it could have a slight "oops" from the lather because it didn't look like someone just got clumsy and scraped it against something.

Not remotely bad enough to make any difference in sound, you could just see it, and back in the day, if a cymbal sounded good, it was put out.

NOW it has to look perfect too, or it's melted back down.

This cymbal had a sound I really liked, but at the time I really needed something brighter, and did NOT have the money flow coming in to just keep it like I do now.

I got a good price for it, but it had a character to the sound, and I really liked that it had the blemishes.
They made it more personal to me.

It looked like a miss- stamped K, but it wasn't as dark or trashy sounding as a K.

I really wish I still had that cymbal.

After I cleaned it up--from looking like it was never cleaned (with my trusty Wright's Copper Cream) it looked great, almost a brilliant, but a more subtle shine...it almost glowed.
I still feel kinda lousy when I think about letting that one go....and it was back in 1995!

Crydevil

My first kit ever was a Pearl Forum.
Really crappy kit compared to the Tama and Ludwig kits I use now.

But, now I do wish I had kept it, just for the sake of keeping your first kit, or maybe to experiment with it, you know. It was only worth $300, and one lug on the floortom was already broken, so "experimentally ruining" it any further wouldn't be a real heartbreak.

Greets ! :)

Crydevil

Drumsword

Pioneer Member
I have a few regrets.........Bad ones...........

I traded a 16" K crash....a very, very old one, for a new 16" medium crash When I was 17. Saw the exact crash cymbal on ebay last year for $800.

I traded a set of 70's era Champagne sparkle Ludwigs, 22" 13" 16" for a set of pearl exports in the deep shell series because the Lud's didn't fit the Motif of the heavy rock band I was with. Again, I was young. BUT Later on I traded those for a set of 60's Era Slings in WMP. 24" 13" 16". Sold those at some point for $300. NOW However, I keep everything :)

criz p. critter

Silver Member
I had a Rogers 4-piece in "New England White" wrap, with a COB Dynasonic (a "Londoner" kit I believe) that I bought new back in 1974. (I bought it after my Rogers 3-piece in Blue Sparkle burned up in a fire... but that's another story...) I sold it around 1988 because I had just moved into a tiny apartment, and was under the illusion that I was quitting the music biz after my band was ripped off by our manager (who left town with our recording budget money... but that's another story!...)

Anyway, I sincerely regret parting with that kit, and mentally kick myself in the butt every time I think of it. To make it worse, I also sold with it a beautiful 70s 8x14 Superstar snare in the natural Birch finish. That was the greatest sounding snare ever.

I mercifully don't remember how much I sold it all for. I'm sure if I did it would hurt all the more now. All I know is I did let it go too cheap, because I only found one interested buyer, and he talked me down on the price.

As Dr. Smith from the old tv show Lost in Space used to say: "Oh the pain... the pain." Or maybe I should say, like Marlon Brandon in Apocalypse Now: "The horror... the horror!"

hwy145

I'm a huge fan of explsove, quick-decaying chinas, and before the Sabian B8 pro line, they had the B8 plus line (late 80's or early 90's). I loved my b8 plus china, and believe me, I tried china in every lineup looking for a reason to getter a better "quality" cymbal. Nothing could touch it. I broke it, and had the opportunity to get two more because they were phasing out the line. ALAS, I passed on the chance, and I regret it to this day. If you ever see one of these bad boys, give it a listen!

Last edited:

diosdude

Silver Member
Ludwig classic early 70's in flawless champage sparkle. 22 BD 12, 13, 16 rack toms/ floor tom. I already had a silver sparkle one, not anywhere near the condition but it was the first kit i ever bought, so sentimentality won in the contest of "which one do I keep?". Got like 300 bucks trade value back in '95 on a mackie mixer (which got stolen, 3 weeks later along with 4k of other band stuff... WAHHHHHH!!!!!)