I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

"A boat... kayak maybe, canoe... " If you use a boat then by all means buy one but if it is going to sit for prolonged periods-that's a death knell. My best friend and I bought a ski boat together in the 80's both our fathers warned against it because it could impact our friendship if things went sour. Well we proved them wrong and enjoyed the heck out of that boat for years-blew up one motor so we bought another (we were skiing maniacs). I later moved but we still shared it just for prolonged periods of exchange-eventually I just let him have it-I got more than my fair share of enjoyment out of it and we are still best friends.

Cool coincidence : I will be teaching my boy how to waterski tomorrow morning.

As for the original post, if it were up to me I would never buy cheap cymbals. But who know what the future has in store for us ?

No pics (major/unforgivable fopaux, I know), but my Ludwigs are a beautiful wine metallic red. 99% of the time, everything I buy is black or dark grey, but I find that every now and then, the occasional red item looks really wicked... and when displayed among black items, the contrast works great.

In fact, hanging on my wall across the room from my red Ludwig kit, are an ebony black Gibson Les Paul (2006 - standard - actual Gibson) and a red Gibson Flying V.

All that in the same room looks pretty cool.

That being said, I agreed that if after 1 year of drums (only been playing since March) that I'd purchase a new better kit. And when I do, it will be black.

I'm sorry!
I didn't really mean to make sport of red drums.

I'll try to be a little more open minded and give another listen to that Muzak you all play.

I know I'll attract all kinds of hate responses but DW drums. Why? Every time I've listened to someone playing, demonstrating, on a DW kit I always ask myself; What's the big deal? For the price, they don't sound that much better than any other kit with proper heads and tuning. If they were competitively priced with other major brand kits I'd say maybe I'd purchase a set but for the whopping price point I've seen DW kits sell for, no way.

Certainly stupid, but for me Mapex drums. I can't stand the name of the brand (sound like a condom brand - in France), absence of history and a styling a bit "show off" on some models, with ugly colours.... Not my cup of tea, though the high ends (Panther) are pretty good sounding and well built.
Other thing I'll never go into I think : bonham sized drum, I'd like to, but I may look ridiculous behind it :) !

a Cajon, I simply refuse.

Any hardware that has any coating other than chrome. Black hardware looks drab, 'gold' plating is tacky, looks like metallic beige and should come supplied with a bucket to throw up in.

I'll grudgingly admit I like the look of Tama black nickel hardware, but I'd prefer regular chrome if I had the option.

A Pearl kit of any type.

I'd possibly buy a Pearl snare, but I still cannot for the life of me understand why they still insist on using those tom mounts they've basically used forever.

To be fair, at least the tubes don't protrude into the drums anymore like they used to (or perhaps they still do on the low-end budget kits), but I've never been able to get the toms mounted in any comfortable way on Pearl kits I've had to play on over the years, especially if they're mounted from the bass drum.

Certainly stupid, but for me Mapex drums. I can't stand the name of the brand (sound like a condom brand - in France), absence of history and a styling a bit "show off" on some models, with ugly colours.... Not my cup of tea, though the high ends (Panther) are pretty good sounding and well built.
Other thing I'll never go into I think : bonham sized drum, I'd like to, but I may look ridiculous behind it :) !

Come on, I'm doing the Bonham thing and I'm just not seen at all. You'd look good too!

Pearl drums as long as they have that bathroom plumbing tom mount, DW kits as I think they're WAY overpriced ( don't like the lugs either ), I don't care for wraps, and lastly, anything smaller than a 22" bass drum.

Things that don't affect me are badges and company names.

Some of the best looking kits I've seen have been RED !!

3 things come to mind right away---18 inch "bass" drum, any virgin bass, and "floor" toms without legs. The reasons are that I like big drums, I can't get the mounted toms where I like them, and 16 x 16 or 18 x 18 toms look better with legs (and they're heavy)

I'd never consider buying a drum set with a wrap of any kind. I tend to like the look of finished wood. It can be a color or fade of some sort although no wrap.

The only exception would be a set of Ludwig's black oyster. And that's if a pristine set would fall into my lap at a great price.

Another deep kick. Had a 20x20 for a while. Sounded good but fitting through doors was a pain.

Top of the line hardware. Too overbuilt and heavy. Except Trick kick pedals if I could justify the cost.

A peavey 6505 amp. They are one trick ponys and my old peavey solodstate amp I just got can get that sound and still be versital. Also paid much less for it.

Triggers. Just don't see a point when I don't play fast enough to require them, nor do I wish to play that fast. If I played a style that needed weird sounds then maybe.

An 8 or 9 string guitar. I didn't even like playing the seven string I had.

Left handed drum sticks...

— Kickport

And the reason why is because if they truly believe those things sound good on tom and snare batter heads, then I will not allow myself to be duped into putting one on my bass drum.

— Kickport

And the reason why is because if they truly believe those things sound good on tom and snare batter heads, then I will not allow myself to be duped into putting one on my bass drum.

Have them on both my Yamaha Kits & they are fantastic. (Bass only) Tried one on my snare batter & it was wank!

Here, Here!

As proof, I submit my vintage Red Sparkle Luddies and DW Performance Dark Cherry Stain.

That DW kit was (and will be) the first thing I think of when I hear red drums.
I'd probably look at them as much as play them - ha ha.

Boats - have had five since 1991. I always think they're not worth it till I get back on the water again.
Truth be told - I think I use my kayak more, and it's just as enjoyable in a much different, slower paced way.

Virgin bass drums - swore I wouldn't get one because of the positioning issue.
But there are several non-intrusive ways to mount a tom (or toms) on a bass drum.
I recently got a Ludwig set with a virgin bass drum, but the tom is mounted on the bass drum with an Atlas Arch.
Wouldn't bother me in the least if it had a traditional, hole through mount though.

Bass drum size - I said I wouldn't go larger than a 20, then turned around and bought a set with a 22 - solely for the sound.
It's gone now though - LOL

I guess it's never say never for me.

Back