I will NEVER buy / own _______, and here's why.

I would just like to announce that this thread is extremely entertaining.

As a minimalist I will add, I would not want to own more than one of anything, except for sticks and tuning keys. Out with the old.

Zildjian cymbals - Ive played 40+ years without em, so Im gonna keep that trend going.

F

I'm likely to try about anything, but when I saw the colored hardware posted, I said ya that's one I'll never do. I do like the black nickel though.

For me, the no-go zone is certain wraps, especially onyx, abalone, pearls, and moire. Just god-awful ugly.

What i'm finding interesting in this thread is there is a lot of image concientia! I can't understand the defining lines of i wouldn't play vintage...? or ... wrap... or?... jeez i can listen to Hoagy Carmichael or Led Zeppelin . I play wraps or wood finish..To me it's a lineage of musical culture not defined eras. to each their own.

What i'm finding interesting in this thread is there is a lot of image concientia! I can't understand the defining lines of i wouldn't play vintage...? or ... wrap... or?... jeez i can listen to Hoagy Carmichael or Led Zeppelin . I play wraps or wood finish..To me it's a lineage of musical culture not defined eras. to each their own.

I hear you Pete. Drums are like people. Different generations contribute different things. It's all good with drums. There's nothing bad.

During this writing class I had a couple of years ago, I learned that one of the things that affects how a person "chooses" their taste is how they perceive what social status they will gain from it. I could go in depth on that, but how it applies here is...I am a "metal" guy, and as a metal guy (or maybe there are other factors that I'm not considering right now) I also don't want Ludwig or Gretsch Drums (unless they are snares). While, obviously, there are drummers that prefer Ludwig or Gretsch for their kits. Obviously, those are fine drums, but I seldom drool over them like I do for other makers. I always find it interesting how our tastes are developed.

I also prefer wood grain, so I don't like wraps. But there are some sparkle lacquers that I've seen that are especially nice. What is it about wood grain that makes me thinking liking it gains me social status? :)

During this writing class I had a couple of years ago, I learned that one of the things that affects how a person "chooses" their taste is how they perceive what social status they will gain from it. I could go in depth on that, but how it applies here is...I am a "metal" guy, and as a metal guy (or maybe there are other factors that I'm not considering right now) I also don't want Ludwig or Gretsch Drums (unless they are snares). While, obviously, there are drummers that prefer Ludwig or Gretsch for their kits. Obviously, those are fine drums, but I seldom drool over them like I do for other makers. I always find it interesting how our tastes are developed.
:)

Good point and I think there is a lot of conspicuous consumption in the drumming world. People select one thing or reject another because it says Gretsch, or DW, or Ludwig on the resonant BD head or Zildjian, Paiste, etc. on the cymbals. I'm not always sure sound is the primary factor in a lot of purchases. My favorite example of this is a kit I saw for sale on Craigslist that was a PDP kit on which the seller had placed a DW logo head. Well, it's sort of accurate. My guess is that the reason was that he/she wanted to be seen playing a DW kit.

I am a "metal" guy, and as a metal guy (or maybe there are other factors that I'm not considering right now) I also don't want Ludwig or Gretsch Drums (unless they are snares). While, obviously, there are drummers that prefer Ludwig or Gretsch for their kits. Obviously, those are fine drums, but I seldom drool over them like I do for other makers. I always find it interesting how our tastes are developed.

You make a good point about our "taste" in drums.

I just joined a southern rock type band. It's a pretty loud band. I would never bring my vintage Slingerland kit to a gig with this band.
It would probably sound OK, but I feel it would look strange. So if it was the only band I played in, I guess then I would NEVER own a Slingerland drum set.

Good point and I think there is a lot of conspicuous consumption in the drumming world. People select one thing or reject another because it says Gretsch, or DW, or Ludwig on the resonant BD head or Zildjian, Paiste, etc. on the cymbals. I'm not always sure sound is the primary factor in a lot of purchases. My favorite example of this is a kit I saw for sale on Craigslist that was a PDP kit on which the seller had placed a DW logo head. Well, it's sort of accurate. My guess is that the reason was that he/she wanted to be seen playing a DW kit.

YES! We are moved to purchase things seldom for the reasons we think we are. "I only care about sound", while I'm sure there are players that truly can be this objective, there are other factors that drive us to want to play "X" drums. Maybe our drumming idol played them when we were kids (Ringo and Ludwig).

But if I compared what I think are the most desirable drum lines to your opinion, we would find that seldom it is because of sound. But man, I love drums :) And I agree with someone earlier saying that all drums are great!

You make a good point about our "taste" in drums.

I just joined a southern rock type band. It's a pretty loud band. I would never bring my vintage Slingerland kit to a gig with this band.
It would probably sound OK, but I feel it would look strange. So if it was the only band I played in, I guess then I would NEVER own a Slingerland drum set.

Exactly! You just made me want to start a thread on this :)

1.Ddrum
2.Meinl cymbal tuners (their cymbals are so nice doh)
3.Entry level electric drum set
4.Anything with parts i cant replace like the 23" bass drum from dw

1.Ddrum
2.Meinl cymbal tuners (their cymbals are so nice doh)
3.Entry level electric drum set
4.Anything with parts i cant replace like the 23" bass drum from dw

Ditto on ddrum. I bought one of their maple kits a while back and it was very poorly made. There was separation in the plies on the bass drum, blobs of filler between plies that made the drums not round. Incredibly poor quality. And it was a new kit. I had to return it to the store where I bought it.

Another 10-lug snare. Will be so happy to see my current one go. Such a PITA to tune and replace the heads.
Bass Drum bigger than 18" - Simply no need
Non-coated drumheads - I play with brushes so much that the concept doesn't make sense to me anymore
Cymbals before hearing them - I have been doing way too much buying a selling to try to find the right stuff lately and it's becoming comber some
Heavy Duty Hardware - I prefer the light stuff that's easy to move and folds down small
Double-bass pedal - no need
Nylon tipped sticks - I hate the residue they leave on cymbals
Anything I buy "Just because I got a great deal" - The resale market has been pretty dry for me lately.
Gear that is cool, but I have no use for - Why do I own a vintage Leedy Marching Snare? It just sits around
Anything New and expensive - Too much good used gear out there to be buying expensive drums and cymbals
Gear that only works for my rock band - My heart isn't into that music anymore, it's fun, but I am a jazz man and my gear needs to work in jazz settings.

That's all for now, may edit later if anything pops into my head.

A lot of gears I dont like mainly because of what i hear with my own ears behind the throne itself. If it sounds great tp my ears on the throne AND decent in front of me and people tell me so, great. If it sounds awful behind the throne, dont care for it.

A Custom Zildjians - sounds borderline ZBT bronze cymbals to me. Horrible definition and clangy open hi hat sound. Gimme those K's though please

One ply coated heads - harder to tune in my opinion. Also not a fan of the way it projects back to me

Heavy Duty Hardware - I prefer the light stuff that's easy to move and folds down small

Oh that's the best one yet. I bought all DW 9000 series hardware when I got my first acoustic kit and it's ridiculous. I love the ultralight stuff from Canopus and more recently DW and Tama.

--
Steve

Another 10-lug snare. Will be so happy to see my current one go. Such a PITA to tune and replace the heads.
Bass Drum bigger than 18" - Simply no need
Non-coated drumheads - I play with brushes so much that the concept doesn't make sense to me anymore
Cymbals before hearing them - I have been doing way too much buying a selling to try to find the right stuff lately and it's becoming comber some
Double-bass pedal - no need
Nylon tipped sticks - I hate the residue they leave on cymbals
Anything I buy "Just because I got a great deal" - The resale market has been pretty dry for me lately.
Gear that is cool, but I have no use for - Why do I own a vintage Leedy Marching Snare? It just sits around
Anything New and expensive - Too much good used gear out there to be buying expensive drums and cymbals
Gear that only works for my rock band - My heart isn't into that music anymore, it's fun, but I am a jazz man and my gear needs to work in jazz settings.

That's all for now, may edit later if anything pops into my head.

You are a very sensible chap.

Back