I want to start recording advice needed

Hi Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX thanks for asking. I want to experience and explore for myself the recording aspect. I read threads and posts here and think it would be a very fun, yet challenging endeavor.
I am not a studio drummer, a gigging musician or even a band member. It’s more for audio visual sharing - maybe I’ll be in a band someday. I would also like to share covers, sound samples through YT for drum posterity and review.

I more or less know that I want something that will give me channel control like the focus rite but for a 12 piece kit will that be enough and if so, will that be maxed?

I think no matter what, I would get a 16 channel, or at least 16 XLR input board...if you are just going to do individual experimentation for the future, that should do. With that and good software, you should be good to go. Again, you want the board to be as adaptable as it can be to your experience growing. Who knows, in a year, you might want to record your set, your friends on other instruments...you might fond out that it can become a small money making hobby(?)...but again, you just don't want the central control element of all of that - the board - to hold you back

Thanks CB, I didn’t even consider the port compatibility down the road much less OS.
Is recording equipment something that has to be refreshed every few years or so?

Not recording equipment, but specifically Audio Interfaces— the piece of recording equipment that converts the audio to digital for your computer. That part of the chain depreciates in value because, like computers, it keeps being updated technologically. Everything else you buy will be something you can sell in 15 years in the same ballpark as what you paid for it, depending on condition. But selling the interface 15 years later will be like selling a 15 year-old laptop, if that makes sense.

Regarding audio interfaces, I’ve owned/used an m-audio 2-track USB unit, a MOTO 896HD (with FireWire), a Presonus StudioLive 16-track console (with FireWire), and now I’m running with a Presonus Studio 192 (with USB 3.0) hosting an Audient ASP880 via lightpipe.

I was burned badly when Apple dropped FireWire. Not only was my audio interface at EOL, all my external FireWire devices were too.

Currently a computer can connect to an audio device via USB, Thunderbolt, Ethernet and a PCI card using lightpipe or Ethernet (DanteNet).

Choose wisely.

I went with USB cuz it will be around for at least another ten years.

I am also using an Audient 880, going into a little Audient ID14, for a total of 10 drum tracks for a 5-piece kit. The preamps on that are great for drums.

Thanks CB, I didn’t even consider the port compatibility down the road much less OS.
Is recording equipment something that has to be refreshed every few years or so?
In the event that you get a new computer, you may have to purchase an adapter cable to connect your interface. Not the end of the world.

But in the past, for Apple users, it's been an issue. Apple has a history of changing the type of ports on their machines every few years, it seems. Pretty annoying.

In the event that you get a new computer, you may have to purchase an adapter cable to connect your interface. Not the end of the world.

But in the past, for Apple users, it's been an issue. Apple has a history of changing the type of ports on their machines every few years, it seems. Pretty annoying.
My life:

Is that for real?
The fact that you’re even asking shows how us Apple/dongle users really got screwed.

The original is on YouTube somewhere.

I have 4 Thunderbolt-USB dongles for cameras, external drives, my audio interface, and two thunderbolt-Ethernet dongles.

I just looked into the focusrite 18i20 further and it looks like it comes with starting software packages.

Heres from the ad:
“It comes with all the software tools you need to get started: two comprehensive digital audio workstations, Ableton Live Lite and Pro Tools First Focusrite Creative Pack; Softube’s Time and Tone Bundle; Focusrite’s Red Plug-in Suite; a choice of one of four of XLN Audio’s Addictive Keys. If that wasn't enough, Focusrite has partnered with Splice to give 3rd Gen. interface owners a free 3-month Splice Sounds subscription when setting a new Splice account.”

This looks like a bonus right, or is this a standard package?
I am looking into all this now.

I just looked into the focusrite 18i20 further and it looks like it comes with starting software packages.

Heres from the ad:
“It comes with all the software tools you need to get started: two comprehensive digital audio workstations, Ableton Live Lite and Pro Tools First Focusrite Creative Pack; Softube’s Time and Tone Bundle; Focusrite’s Red Plug-in Suite; a choice of one of four of XLN Audio’s Addictive Keys. If that wasn't enough, Focusrite has partnered with Splice to give 3rd Gen. interface owners a free 3-month Splice Sounds subscription when setting a new Splice account.”

This looks like a bonus right, or is this a standard package?
I am looking into all this now.
Use the lite versions of the DAW to see how you like them, but plan on upgrading to a full version Once you find what you like.

edit: learn about mic placement and levels before you dive into plugins.

Use the lite versions of the DAW to see how you like them, but plan on upgrading to a full version Once you find what you like.

Noted! That’s what I was inquiring, thank you CB.

Noted! That’s what I was inquiring, thank you CB.
So is it a money thing? I recommended the Yamaha TF and nobody else is talking about it. You said you wanted to mix up to a 12-piece kit and I recommended something that will not only do that, but can be expanded if you wanted up to 40-channels. It’s already a USB interface and with the right laptop with some powerful software (like Cubase or ProTools, you can actually record as many channels as you have. Why you would consider a simple 8-channel interface like the Focusrite doesn’t make sense to me if you already have more instruments to record than eight. So are you saying your budget is small?

So is it a money thing? I recommended the Yamaha TF and nobody else is talking about it. You said you wanted to mix up to a 12-piece kit and I recommended something that will not only do that, but can be expanded if you wanted up to 40-channels. It’s already a USB interface and with the right laptop with some powerful software (like Cubase or ProTools, you can actually record as many channels as you have. Why you would consider a simple 8-channel interface like the Focusrite doesn’t make sense to me if you already have more instruments to record than eight. So are you saying your budget is small?

No doubt the Yamaha TF would do a great job. But the budget also goes up even more when you start to buy a mic, clip/stand, and cable for each of the 10 toms. Our guy is starting from scratch.

Additionally, it’s not *just* about budget, it’s also, to some extent, about how much someone may or may not enjoy recording vs. the initial cash outlay, during what are uncertain times for many of us. An expandable 8-channel interface is a future-proof solution, at about $1200 less than the Yamaha.

The minute you record some drums you’re going to think “okay now how do I make it sound better?”. You’ll try some plug ins, and if it goes well, you’re good. If not, move the mics and record again. It’s an iterative process, and it’s fun.

But I don’t think the order that you learn the things matters so much here. Just get a book on mixing and read the whole thing, so that you have a good foundational understanding going in. Placing a mic is as important as using an EQ or a compressor. They are not hierarchical skills.

Just get a book on mixing and read the whole thing, so that you have a good foundational understanding going in. Placing a mic is as important as using an EQ or a compressor. They are not hierarchical skills.

Worth mentioning for the book-averse among us:

There are a couple of digital courses out there that aren't too shabby. While I've never taken a modern one and can't directly recommend one, I rather like this guy's youtube content, though I imagine it's because he suits my genre. It's also refreshing to see an actual drummer/engineer.

Example:

Worth mentioning for the book-averse among us:

There are a couple of digital courses out there that aren't too shabby. While I've never taken a modern one and can't directly recommend one, I rather like this guy's youtube content, though I imagine it's because he suits my genre. It's also refreshing to see an actual drummer/engineer.

Example:

That guy's stuff is very good, for sure. But it's the sort of thing you should watch after you've read at least one book. If you first understand what those things are (compressor, EQ, transient, cardioid, etc.) you can use the video's concepts to your benefit. You don't have to get deep into the scientific woods. Something like this would be good:

https://www.amazon.com/Step-Mixing-...g+audio&qid=1603800798&s=digital-text&sr=1-10

Another good forum to browse (and join if you’re inclined) is gearslutz. Lotsa active studio engineers there.

Edit: there are some great Q&A threads with studio legends, too. Example: Ken Scott.

Last edited:
Yessr your recommendation is like getting a teen in a corvette, that’d be way too much for me.
I’m a drummer and this is more for personal use and no other venture in mind, and yes starting from scratch with no equipment, direction, and knowledge.

From what I see the F18i20 has 18 ins and 20 outs. I think that’s plenty, thanks to your input earlier I did get a chance to see the Yamaha and I appreciate all suggestions.

Back