I wanna subscribe to a mag.. But which? Modern Drummer or DRUM! ?

diegobxr

Silver Member
Hi guys,

Well, I wanted to ask you that. Where I live it's very hard to find any of these two magazines, so I'm decided to subscribe to one. I personally never read any of them.

Which one do you reccomend? I look forward to know your opinions. Thanks a lot.

Cheers! :)

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Drumhead Magazine is the best secret in magazines going. The others are OK but Drumhead is great.

diegobxr

Silver Member
Thanks, man. I've heard of Drumhead.. The only detail is that for the exact same price you get half as much editions of this mag in comparison to the other two! 12 editions vs. 6 editions.

Anyway, I'll take it into consideration! Thanks. :)

daredrummer

Gold Member
Of the two I prefer ModernDrummer. Drum! focuses more on more popular drummers, oftenly associated with the rock/pop scene. They'll have plenty of jazz, soul and funk drummers as well, just not as many as moderndrummer. I think modern drummer also tends to have more unknown drummers, and this is not a bad thing. I was turned on to Chris Pennie, Aaron Spears, Chris Coleman, Steve Fidyk, and many many others through modern drummer. I also think they have better articles, and better reviews, but that's just an opinion.

TNA

I used to subscribe to DRUM! and I liked it. I thought they had a good mix of articles, gear reviews, drummer spotlights. But honestly the two magazines are very similar, and I think you could pick up either one and be satisfied. Before I had a subscription, I would just buy based on who the cover drummer was, it didn't matter which magazine. If you haven't read both, go to guitar center, or Barnes and Noble and flip through a couple of them and decide for yourself.

legobeast

I subscribe to both ModernDrummer and Rhythm, and have done for a couple of years. I have just stopped the subscription to ModernDrummer. It's good, but two mags a month is usually more than I have time for, if I'm to read them properly.

The great thing extra about Rhythm is that it has a CD which has a load of really useful/fun video tutorials. These cover a pretty big range of abilities too, so even if your experienced, there should be something of interest. Since it's published in the UK, it may be a bit more expensive than the US mags, but it's certainly easily available in the US. Check out the website to get a flavour. In addition to the CD, I also think that it's got a much more interesting mix of articles - in contrast to ModernDrummer which really focuses heavily on drummers themselves.

Best of luck!

James

diegobxr

Silver Member
Well, for what I can see, it seems that both mags are pretty even, right? I mean, at least nobody said "Nooo, don't buy that mag, it sucks".

I checked their websites and they're both interesting. Like some of you said, it's noticeable that Drum! features maybe more "mainstream" drummers than MD.

Well.. thanks a lot for your replies! I'll let you know what I choose when I suscribe. :)

If you haven't read both, go to guitar center, or Barnes and Noble and flip through a couple of them and decide for yourself.
Haha, I'd happily would, but the nearest Guitar Center is like 10.000 km away from where I live. LOL. :)

Cheers.

GruntersDad

Administrator - Mayor
Staff member
Drumhead Magazine is the best secret in magazines going. The others are OK but Drumhead is great.
This is true, but every edition comes with a CD of play alongs, and the music notations as well. If you want a few articles and a lot of ads buy the others. Jonathan Mover does a great job with his interviews and the guests on the play alongs..Usually takes me the extra time to get thru the entire magazine.

diegobxr

Silver Member
Thanks a lot Gruntersdad! This suscription thing has been a bit delayed 'cause I'm getting some drum stuff, hehe, but I'll consider Drumhead too when I decide. :)

Cheers!

W

wy yung

I have been buying Modern Drummer since 1980. Sadly since Ron died the quality has taken a radical nose dive. The focus is heavily on advertising, where once it had been drumming. But that is the world I guess.

I sometimes buy the UK mags but the interviews don't cut it. I used to write for music mags and these days I just don't see value. Although I always get MD. It may simply be a habbit.

I think the net covers a lot, and if you want lessons get a good teacher.

braincramp

Gold Member
UPDATE!! As I mentioned I get both.. I was away for a few weeks and both mags came in..they had been in my mailbox for awhile Moderndrummer covers theirs with plastic so it was like new..Drum does not so it was damp and wrinkly... for what its worth....

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
I've had a subscription to Modern Drummer for years and years.

I just signed up for a subscription to Drumhead magazine too.

diegobxr

Silver Member
Well, thanks again guys, I appreciate your opinions. :)

Wy, I do have a good teacher and to find any info I need I use the internet like you say. I just want a mag for recreational purposes. I like to look at gear and read drum related stuff, just that. :)

Cheers.

?uesto

Silver Member
Modern Drummer is my favorite. I get to look through Drum, Drumhead, Modern Drummer, and Not So Modern Drummer at work, and my favorite, in terms of writing, layout, articles, etc.