I thought this would be EASIER

Roughrider

Boy was I wrong. It appears your brain will rewire OUT all of your drumming limb independance after taking a 20 year break. Anyhow, I've set up a blog to share my rekindled love for the drums (and my personal thoughts regarding practice and progress) that I'll update on a weekly basis - if anyone old or new wants to check it out. I'll keep everyone posted here as well, as there are so many great people here to learn from.

Sitting on the throne again feels like I've found a lost love. I should have never stopped playing. Funny how life throws you curve balls sometimes and distracts you from what you love doing...

Roughriders Drum Blog

Last edited:
Boy was I wrong. It appears your brain will rewire OUT all of your drumming limb independance after taking a 20 year break. Anyhow, I've set up a blog to share my rekindled love for the drums (and my personal thoughts regarding practice and progress) that I'll update on a weekly basis - if anyone old or new wants to check it out. I'll keep everyone posted here as well, as there are so many great people here to learn from.

Sitting on the throne again feels like I've found a lost love. I should have never stopped playing. Funny how life throws you curve balls sometimes and distracts you from what you love doing...

Roughriders Drum Blog

Well welcome back! The re-wiring will take time, but the amount of desire should make that job an easy one! Now get back on the throne and work on it! ;)

Rough,

I "hear you" on this being -away -and -coming -back, thing. I was away for several years because of those "circumstances." After i came back, I came back in earnest and I can genuinely say that I 'm playing better than ever before, plus i'm doing things now that I was not able to do years earlier. I've thought about this as well: The idea that has hit me is time and perhaps more maturity and "patience" have possibly led to me becoming a better player.
...... On the other hand, I may have mentally just been kidding myself and i actually suck! :>) :>)

I'll tell you what else has really made a difference in getting back in the saddle (throne) and improving, and that's all the wealth of technique related DVD's that are now available. Man, if I had this information and accessibility when I was starting to play in the late 60's and into the early 70's, i'm sure it would have made a huge difference. I think that's why the abilities of a great many drummers today are so much better than our abilities back in--the-day!

I'll tell you what else has really made a difference in getting back in the saddle (throne) and improving, and that's all the wealth of technique related DVD's that are now available. Man, if I had this information and accessibility when I was starting to play in the late 60's and into the early 70's, i'm sure it would have made a huge difference. I think that's why the abilities of a great many drummers today are so much better than our abilities back in--the-day!

I got my start a bit later ('86), but I totally agree with this. We used to have to spend a ton for VHS instructional videos to see our heroes go at it. The youtube revolution has definitely helped. I still buy the DVDs I want to see and hear in hidef, but I can be a bit more educated about it now. I also love seeing the random live solo some guy recorded from the audience for some of the big name players.

Oh, no doubt about it. When I was drumming back when i was like 17, I would have killed for youtube or dvd instruction.

Which reminds me - this came in the mail today:
Anyone else use this DVD?

Attachments

• P1010001 (1024x766).jpg
    P1010001 (1024x766).jpg
    481.7 KB · Views: 251
So I've got to get the hats open, especially while playing heel down. As a side note, who in the hell plays heel up and can bounce the hats? God? I'd fall off the damned throne... I suppose its a relaxation and balance issue; keep in mind I'm still cocking my foot occasionally (not as bad as when I started) when playing heel up and down...

Its coming along...

So the first song I'm going to re-learn? You guessed it... AC/DC - Back in Black. Its what I learned the first time through as well. Thanks to DrumNinja for his excellent transcription. Anyone have any suggestions for a WELL KNOWN (one that EVERYONE has tapped their foot to it at one time or another) classic rock tune to learn along side this one? I don't want to substitute fills, so don't suggest Kashmir.

Thanks tons in advance!

So I've got to get the hats open, especially while playing heel down. As a side note, who in the hell plays heel up and can bounce the hats? God? I'd fall off the damned throne... I suppose its a relaxation and balance issue; keep in mind I'm still cocking my foot occasionally (not as bad as when I started) when playing heel up and down...

Its coming along...

So the first song I'm going to re-learn? You guessed it... AC/DC - Back in Black. Its what I learned the first time through as well. Thanks to DrumNinja for his excellent transcription. Anyone have any suggestions for a WELL KNOWN (one that EVERYONE has tapped their foot to it at one time or another) classic rock tune to learn along side this one? I don't want to substitute fills, so don't suggest Kashmir.

Thanks tons in advance!

Not really "classic rock" but Peter Gunn Theme from The Blues Brothers is a pretty straightforward tune.

Rpugh,
yeah, i've got "Great Hands for a Lifetime" as well and it's very helpful. But i find that the more DVD's that i use the more I find ways of getting better instruction in various areas where one DVD doesn't communicate the info to me as well as another would..... Yes, heel up on the hats. I can still do that constantly on each note of the bar . (Liker slapping them). That's never been a real problem.

From my blog linked in my sig

It's day 6 of practice. It appears I'm learning all over again...

However:
It appears I only needed to play some metal. Thanks to my son for the tasty guitar riffs. I feel as though I had a real breakthough last night.

No masterful control or counting, but a helluva lot of fun, we played some thrashy metal for like an hour last night. The bassist a couple houses over came over as well... I'm afraid to check if there is any damage to my hats or the snare rim from the ass whooping they got, as I was playing way outta control, and WAY too hard - but again, I was in rockstar mode.

I have money now at this point in my life, so everything is fixable if needbe :)

Back to 1/8th note counting exercises today...... *big sigh*

Oh and to all the newbs like me - relax, take it slow, and let the good times roll. (dumbass American Pie reference - I know - I know...) Lol, no but seriously your foot will stop sliding, your calves and thigh will stop hurting in heel up and down - just stay after it!

One thing I realize I have to do now? Play - PLAY without any care in the world, just play the damn things every once in a while. 1+2+3+4+ will stifle your love at the kit if thats ALL you do day in and day out. Its all I've done for the past 6 days until last night.

Everyone take care and keep drumming!

Now for a pic of my ghetto practice pad until fedex gets my sweetwater order here:

Attachments

• P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 106
Back