I thought pedal straps were strong

no talent

Last weekend I played a multi band gig that had a backline kit. I had my entire kit with me from a gig earlier the same day so I just brought in my single pedal to use with the rest of what they supplied. after our 3rd song I went to count in the next tune and noticed my pedal was laying fat. then I saw the strap was broken, it broke n the last note of the song. I happened to have my double pedal as well so in less than a min, I ran to my car and grabbed it, using it as a single. I never imagined I would break the strap. the eyelet around the hole tore out. I bought a Kevlar strap from Gibraltar to fix it and hope this fixes it for good.

Attachments

Galadrm

Wow never seen this happen before. Quite unusual. I think when the eyelet is installed they probably break a hole in the polyester strap, compromising its integrity that is based on its weave pattern. With the force we play our kick pedals with Im sure if it was old enough that those broken threads eventuated into this. Was it all of or sudden or had you noticed it slowly wearing down?

Our guitarist tore his strap button out of his guitar on the weekend, now in my opinion you are going to notice the screw loosening before a screw tears out of the wood, unless you are absolutely throwing your guitar around. I think it is a good lesson to keep an eye on all your gear and do regular maintenance to prevent these things happening. Luckily in your case you had a backup. I clean and service my guitar in detail every 3 months, drums admittedly less so probably because they are assumed to be less delicate instruments.

Stroman

Platinum Member
Glad you had a backup. I broke the leather strap on an old Rogers pedal I had, but I haven't seen many modern straps break!

no talent

I didn't notice any sort of fraying before this happened. I think your right about it being a weak point where the eyelet is installed. before the Gibraltar strap arrived, I used an old Pearl pedal I still have from 1985 with a strap. its smooth, not a nylon type and its still really strong. the eyelet is a little deformed in the picture, I had to hold it with pliers and unscrew it from the little screw it was on.

Attachments

WallyY

Platinum Member
I used a pedal with a strap just like that for about twenty years and it's still okay but with a little bit of fraying by the toe. The eyelets are fine.
I would look at the area around the broken eye to see if there are any jaggers.

I also made a replacement out of climbing strap from REI store. It fit perfectly and was just as strong.

Winegums

Silver Member
That's a simple nylon strap which has nothing on the strength of Kevlar. Your new kevlar strap should be able to lift the weight of your drum kit.

Red Menace

Platinum Member
I made a pedal strap out of some veg-tanned leather scrap that I had sitting around. Strong stuff and it can be cut to fit any pedal.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
The straps do break. I think that was the original inspiration for the early chain drive pedals.

Although I play a strap drive myself.

bobdadruma

Platinum Member
The straps do break. I think that was the original inspiration for the early chain drive pedals.

Although I play a strap drive myself.
That is true. The leather straps used to wear and you had to always have a spare on hand. The Ludwig Speed King was very popular because of the dependable metal drive and the internal springs that didn't break. The Camco chain drive pedal was also super dependable and popular. I owned both and I still use a Camco pedal today.