I think we've got some work to do ;)

Guru Drums

After a 12 hour round trip drive (overnight), I just arrived back with the first of two batches of shells & hoops. We don't trust such a precious cargo to couriers. A ton of our signature solid segmented ovangkol hoops, & some pretty special kit + snare shells too. For the keen eyed here, there's a few little teasers hidden amongst the shells that hint at specifications yet to be announced.

After a ton of work by Dean at the shell shop, these are now in the finishing shop for bearing edges, drilling, finishing, assembly, & testing.

Attachments

• Shells 03:14 x 800.jpg
    Shells 03:14 x 800.jpg
    893.8 KB · Views: 503
There's a bass drum hoop made from a lighter wood, it's not ovangkol. Also, is that a walnut kit? There is a pretty thick shell there, looks like a snare shell, nothing milled out on the inside. This is like Where's Waldo lol.

What I can say is droooool!!!! Can't wait to see the finished drums!

The drum at the very top left of the picture is peculiar looking. Is that it? Am I going to want one of those too?

what are those three (10inch?) shells of different depths doing???

You better get crackin there my man! letting all of that stuff hang around the workbench won't pay the rent ;)

Looks like a segmented Ash/Ovangkol snare like the ones on the right middle of the picture to me...

But the shoulders of the main shell are offset in relation to the shoulders of the rims. At least that's what I'm seeing. Andy is leading us on a merry chase once again...

Oh wow - very tasty!

Looks like you'll be doing 'shed and breakfast' for a couple weeks at least!

Neal

I can't believe you drive 12 hours total to get these shells. That's dedication. I'd pay someone I knew to do it for me, just have Dean put them in the AAA cases and that's it.

You're running low on bass drum hoops Andy.

But the shoulders of the main shell are offset in relation to the shoulders of the rims. At least that's what I'm seeing. Andy is leading us on a merry chase once again...

Aren't they offset on the ones on the right as well? We are talking about the individual blocks' seams being different in the middle of the shell than the outer edge, yes?

I actually don't know why those seams are offset, but everything else makes sense to me- the body seams are where the lugs are going to go, and the 'edges' are separate because they're probably thicker than the body blocks.

I may be the victim of an optical delusion.

Optical illusion? Maybe. But that stack on the right looks like three different shells...each with a larger diameter bottom than the top...like the shell is tapered from one head to the next. Like a 14 inch to a 13, and a 13 to 12 inch, and a 12 inch to 11inch. I mean, it can't be those exact numbers...maybe 14 to 12 inches to stick to certain head sizes?

Could that be it?

Thanks for chiming in guys. I thought you might like to see the kind of wonderful shells we're working with. Of course, they're unfinished, so don't look as sexy as they will later next week.

Thinly veiled - not a bit of it!

There's no tapered shells, that's just the camera lens - sorry :(

Some 10" shells there that may become 1 off snare drums.

The three 10" steam bent ash In-Tense series toms will be featuring in the video we're shooting on the 9th.

Yes, there is an English Walnut shell set there. This is one of the hints about spec's that have been secret - until now. It's the new In-Tense series stave kit. Of course, offered in a full range of sizes, but this one is a thunder machine! 24" x 14", 18" x 14", 14" x 9". Larry, the lighter hoops are english ash segmented & will partner the walnut. We think, a really nice contrast, & a reverse of the ash/ovangkol contrast on the steam bent In-Tense range.

In-Tense kits will occupy the two opposite ends of the character spectrum. Steam bent being the highly expressive & open character, thin shell (7mm bass drums, 6mm toms) stave being the full, deep, & punchy character.

BTW, not running out of bass drum hoops. They're bespoke made for each kit (a lot of work)

Bo, how can you tell there's no concert tom shells here? ;)

Back