I think we've got some work to do ;)

porter

Platinum Member
Now, a 10" Guru snare... I could afford! (Or maybe a 12" but I'm guessing that'd be pretty similar in price to the 13"ers).

wildbill

Platinum Member
Thanks for chiming in guys. I thought you might like to see the kind of wonderful shells we're working with. Of course, they're unfinished, so don't look as sexy as they will later next week....
Probably a bit weird, but I really like unfinished wood. Particularly quality stuff like in your shop.
Always liked primered motorcycles and hot rods too.

It's all potential at that point.
Once the finish is on, it's more set in stone.
Sometimes better, sometimes not.

Guru Drums

Now, a 10" Guru snare... I could afford! (Or maybe a 12" but I'm guessing that'd be pretty similar in price to the 13"ers).
If we do a couple of 10" snares, it's just for fun. The only cost saving would be the reduction in lugs. Each In-Tense "tube" (not a tube really) lug costs us about £29 ($48), so you can pretty much work it out from that. I don't think anyone would buy them.

Probably a bit weird, but I really like unfinished wood. Particularly quality stuff like in your shop.
Always liked primered motorcycles and hot rods too.

It's all potential at that point.
Once the finish is on, it's more set in stone.
Sometimes better, sometimes not.
I'm with you on this :) We don't alter the appearance much at all. Only the quality of finish changes due to sanding & multiple wax coats/polishing. Effectively, the only thing we "add" is a satin shine to the natural beauty of the wood.

so, green sparkle wrap for all of the shells?
Where is Bo, & what have you done with him? ;)

porter

Platinum Member
Maybe not a 10", but I'm always interested in seeing what can be done with 12" snares (especially with Dean and your levels of craft). My snare tastes are basically 1" less than the average drummer's...

Guru Drums

Maybe not a 10", but I'm always interested in seeing what can be done with 12" snares (especially with Dean and your levels of craft). My snare tastes are basically 1" less than the average drummer's...
That would make you a 13" snare guy ;) 12" snares have their place, but as a main snare, in most genres, they're missing a set of abilities, no matter how capably constructed they might be.

porter

Platinum Member
I know- I meant that I prefer 13" snares as a main (as most prefer 14"s) and like 12"s for a bit more distinctiveness or 'character' as some call it. I would, of course, probably keep a more versatile snare as the center of my setup for most gigs- probably putting the 12" in the usual rack tom position to facilitate my Orbinated (toms on each side) setup.

Of course, as I'm probably years away from any Gurus still, this is all a bit moot :)

Diet Kirk

Silver Member
Yes, there's a little 10" zebrano stave shell there. It's a survivor from an early series build/R&D. Might try a little 10" snare out of it, just for fun :)
Nice, I've always loved the look of zebrawood, along with heavily spalted woods a snare with that look is on my must have list.

Maybe you would then like to give it to me for my fun once its done? ;)

Oi me first! :p

If we do a couple of 10" snares, it's just for fun. The only cost saving would be the reduction in lugs. Each In-Tense "tube" (not a tube really) lug costs us about £29 ($48), so you can pretty much work it out from that. I don't think anyone would buy them.

I'm with you on this :) We don't alter the appearance much at all. Only the quality of finish changes due to sanding & multiple wax coats/polishing. Effectively, the only thing we "add" is a satin shine to the natural beauty of the wood.

Where is Bo, & what have you done with him? ;)
Oh don't be so sure, I'd certainly be interested in hearing it!

Mad About Drums

Pollyanna's Agent
After a ton of work by Dean at the shell shop, these are now in the finishing shop for bearing edges, drilling, finishing, assembly, & testing.
I wish my future kit was shown there... dream on Henri :)

so, green sparkle wrap for all of the shells?
No green I'm afraid, but there should be some magenta stained finishes on some of the shells, I'm sure they'll find a suitable owner :)