I think the moderators do a great job here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

donzo74

I've been impressed with how the mods have allowed topics to be discussed and really only locked threads when certain folks came in cursing, insulting and gleefully wishing death on their fellow forum posters. There really are some bridges too far amongst civilized people.

I was a bit shocked that some of my posts and others were censored and removed from the "Here we (don't) go again..." thread before it was locked, but that wasn't in the Off Topic lounge so I won't complain. I didn't start those threads and really only jumped in to provide balance, another perspective and to defend fellow forum members from attack. It's a little strange to see myself quoted and replied to and ridiculed while the original post I made was censored and deleted.

For the record, if you have to attack and demean someone, or wish that they would just die and go away rather than even have a discussion, you may want to rethink your position, or at least how you come across while expressing it. And, if you have to shout down, ridicule or employ censorship to shut down a discussion, you didn't win the debate. You forfeited.

Stroman

Platinum Member
And, if you have to shout down, ridicule or employ censorship to shut down a discussion, you didn't win the debate. You forfeited.
Since the moderators are the only ones with the ability to "employ censorship," do you imply that they did so to win a debate? I didn't really get that sense.

I'm kinda surprised the whole thread wasn't deleted shortly after it went down the political road, though. I like this being a no-politics zone.

MntnMan62

I've been impressed with how the mods have allowed topics to be discussed and really only locked threads when certain folks came in cursing, insulting and gleefully wishing death on their fellow forum posters. There really are some bridges too far amongst civilized people.

I was a bit shocked that some of my posts and others were censored and removed from the "Here we (don't) go again..." thread before it was locked, but that wasn't in the Off Topic lounge so I won't complain. I didn't start those threads and really only jumped in to provide balance, another perspective and to defend fellow forum members from attack. It's a little strange to see myself quoted and replied to and ridiculed while the original post I made was censored and deleted.

For the record, if you have to attack and demean someone, or wish that they would just die and go away rather than even have a discussion, you may want to rethink your position, or at least how you come across while expressing it. And, if you have to shout down, ridicule or employ censorship to shut down a discussion, you didn't win the debate. You forfeited.
You see, that last sentence just shows why you may have been censored. “You forfeited” indicates that you view these discussions from a win/lose perspective. Discussion involves give and take, listening to the other side and offering valid verifiable backup to support your argument. My own experience in prior “discussions” with you have shown your arguments to be based upon misinformation, conjecture and even conspiracy theories. The moderators have every right to censor your posts if they contain any of these things. It may be a forum but it is not an open forum. It is owned and controlled by private parties. And their views on all discussions that take place here prevail. I for one am grateful for their allowing me to participate here.

iCe

If i get the opportunity, i will post this gif. And this is another opportunity :D

d11viw2-1c36fd91-6b62-4883-a166-382005288554.gif

Back to topic; i've never smelled bronze or aluminium. I almost posted that all my drums are wood, but then i remembered those darn rocket toms are indeed rockets; made from... wait, i searched and they are made from alumium.

Alright, just like Bon Jovi 'OOOOOoooooh we're halfway theeeeeeerree'... i need to order a bronze snare now to research the amazing smell of drums :cautious:

Attachments

• 1628981849484.png
    1628981849484.png
    25.2 KB · Views: 2

donzo74

I remember there was even a "No Covid threads" rule once because every single one went downhill.
Hello! I'm the OP and this IS NOT a thread on that topic. Nowhere did I mention THAT SUBJECT in this thread, so please don't take it off topic and get me shut down! One of the previous threads that got locked was started by one of the mods, our very own Mayor. It was hijacked and went down hill, but you can't necessarily kneecap the rest of us for breaking the "No C0V!D Threads" rule when a mod started the thread. No picking, just stating a fact and reminding you that I didn't start any of those threads. This is my first in quite some time.

I like this being a no-politics zone.
Once again, we find common ground.

Since the moderators are the only ones with the ability to "employ censorship," do you imply that they did so to win a debate?
Please don't try to drive a wedge between me and the mods! I never said that.

I stand by my thread title and I agree with you and commended them straight away in my first sentence. Then, in my second, I said that I understood and believe that some things were allowed to remain in the Off Topic lounge threads that were not suited to the General Discussion board. I also agree this should be a safe space. That is why I was defending others from attack.

Then I commented on how it made me feel, intellectually and emotionally, when I was just a ghost being quoted, but my original posts were gone. That is a jarring experience to have your respectful postings that are correcting the record with actual posted quotes and facts, or defending another forum member from online bullying memory-holed like that while posts from people actively contemplating causing physical harm, possibly death to people they disagree with were allowed to remain in other threads before they are closed. That doesn't really do them any favors, either. If I were the people who had posted those vile comments, I would pray that mods had the mercy to delete those forever for me.

DrummerJustLikeDad

I'm amused how often a thread is launched on this site which I can easily predict will be locked and soon is, and invariably was started by a moderator to begin with.

I'm choosing to believe that shows shortsightedness, not shamelessness.

donzo74

My money’s on 1970’s aluminium…snnniiiffff!
I love my Maple Genista's, Al. I have the matching 14x6 snare but no aluminum snare to go with the collection. I have the 22x18 BD, as well as the 24x18. 12x9 and 16x16 toms. Small collection of Prems, but I enjoy them. Now, they are the Taiwan made drums, but they were made using Premier specs and the actual original Genista lugs and chroming process. Chrome is fantastic!

Sorry, back "on topic" ;). I only have the Ludwig 70's aluminum to sniff, but they smell and sound great!

MntnMan62

Hello! I'm the OP and this IS NOT a thread on that topic. Nowhere did I mention THAT SUBJECT in this thread, so please don't take it off topic and get me shut down! One of the previous threads that got locked was started by one of the mods, our very own Mayor. It was hijacked and went down hill, but you can't necessarily kneecap the rest of us for breaking the "No C0V!D Threads" rule when a mod started the thread. No picking, just stating a fact and reminding you that I didn't start any of those threads. This is my first in quite some time.

Once again, we find common ground.

Please don't try to drive a wedge between me and the mods! I never said that.

I stand by my thread title and I agree with you and commended them straight away in my first sentence. Then, in my second, I said that I understood and believe that some things were allowed to remain in the Off Topic lounge threads that were not suited to the General Discussion board. I also agree this should be a safe space. That is why I was defending others from attack.

Then I commented on how it made me feel, intellectually and emotionally, when I was just a ghost being quoted, but my original posts were gone. That is a jarring experience to have your respectful postings that are correcting the record with actual posted quotes and facts, or defending another forum member from online bullying memory-holed like that while posts from people actively contemplating causing physical harm, possibly death to people they disagree with were allowed to remain in other threads before they are closed. That doesn't really do them any favors, either. If I were the people who had posted those vile comments, I would pray that mods had the mercy to delete those forever for me.
Unfortunately you rarely post facts and your posts are definitely not respectful. I have found that when you are unable to get someone to agree with the points you are making, you quickly resort to personal attacks and condescending attitude. Just my experience. Other’s may have observed differently.

Al Strange

Unfortunately you rarely post facts and your posts are definitely not respectful. I have found that when you are unable to get someone to agree with the points you are making, you quickly resort to personal attacks and condescending attitude. Just my experience. Other’s may have observed differently.
What’s your favourite smelling drum though @MntnMan62 ? :unsure:;)

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
My money’s on 1970’s aluminium…snnniiiffff! 🤪
View attachment 107285
Al how could you possibly say that? Are you daft? Bronze smells way better than aluminum any day of the year. You need to abandon your opinion, don't trust your senses, and adopt my opinion which happens to be fact....And if you don't? Then you are a bad person and I won't like you anymore and you're going on ignore! So put that in your pipe and smoke it!

:p

Stroman

Platinum Member
Please don't try to drive a wedge between me and the mods! I never said that!
No wedges intended, for my part. What you said could be interpreted that way, and that's why I asked for clarification.

I'll be 100% honest - I think you're a bit of a gaslighter. The thread is titled as praise for the moderators, but the second paragraph of your post expresses shock that your posts were moderated while others were not, and i suspect that was the entire reason for your post.

Sorry for saying I think you're a gaslighter - I suppose that's name calling, and to top it off, I'm probably using the term imprecisely. That's okay, though. I'm sure my message is understood, as is yours. And as far as I'm concerned, it's all good. We are what we are.

Back on topic - when I built bows, my favorite wood smell was cocobolo. I've never had a drum made from that wood, but I bet it would smell great!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.