I think I have a problem and I need help

huangmi

Hi everyone. So since I got my first kit I played it pretty much everyday. Sometimes I play for 2 hours and sometimes less. Sometimes after practising for like 40-50 minutes I felt like someone's talking to me, and it actually scared me few times(especially when I'm alone at night) coz It kinda sounds like a ghost laughing. But if I play along to songs through earphone then I won't have this problem. I've talked to my other friends who also play the drums, one of them said that he feel the same, while other says that they can't hear the voice. Maybe because they only just play for a short time. And I've talk to friends that play all kinds of instrument they don't seem to have the same problem. I just want to know if anyone ever experienced this before and is there a way to get the voice away from me Thanks!!!

Hi everyone. So since I got my first kit I played it pretty much everyday. Sometimes I play for 2 hours and sometimes less. Sometimes after practising for like 40-50 minutes I felt like someone's talking to me, and it actually scared me few times(especially when I'm alone at night) coz It kinda sounds like a ghost laughing. But if I play along to songs through earphone then I won't have this problem. I've talked to my other friends who also play the drums, one of them said that he feel the same, while other says that they can't hear the voice. Maybe because they only just play for a short time. And I've talk to friends that play all kinds of instrument they don't seem to have the same problem. I just want to know if anyone ever experienced this before and is there a way to get the voice away from me Thanks!!!

Protect your ears, man. Get earplugs.

I wear ear protection all the time, and if don't then I won't hear the strange voice but drumming without ear protection is not a solution to my problem in fact it's gonna screw up my ears

It's just a sonic illusion because the outside noise is cut.
Wear earplugs. Ignore any voices in your head. Don't do what they tell you. Unless it's your mom :)

Are your headphones wireless?

I have these wireless headphones and it took me a while to figure out that they occasionally pick up some kind of Danish radio station or something! Sounded like weird whispering+static... But only when the headphones are on and I'm not playing...

If you're hearing stuff without headphones, might be worth talking to a doctor....

You are hearing the neighbors complaining an yelling at you to "stop the noise, we can't sleep !"

I have the same issue sometimes - hearing voices when I am playing or other weird/kinda scary noises. I am especially aware of the noises when I am in the house by myself and practicing at night and it can be disturbing. I don't think it is anything to worry about - my teacher and others on this forum said it is pretty normal. As others have already said, if you have ringing in your ears or hear the weird noises when you are NOT playing then see a doctor.

MM

I have the same issue sometimes - hearing voices when I am playing or other weird/kinda scary noises. I am especially aware of the noises when I am in the house by myself and practicing at night and it can be disturbing. I don't think it is anything to worry about - my teacher and others on this forum said it is pretty normal. As others have already said, if you have ringing in your ears or hear the weird noises when you are NOT playing then see a doctor.

MM

That's an interesting take. This is far fetched but maybe you're subconsciously worried that you won't hear any potential threats while you're drumming and so you mind fabricates them to get you to check.

I can walk around in total darkness and put up with noise but I'm funny about not being able to see the doorway when I'm playing drums. I need to be able to see it just in case some wants to walk in and kill me.

When I practice drums, I always think I hear the phone ringing. In my case, it's actually the overtones of the drums tricking my ears into thinking I'm hearing something. This is without any hearing protection. When I put my phones on, it's not an issue. What you are hearing...sounds like the same thing I experience, except you think you hear voices and I think I hear jingly bells.

I always wear hearing protection when drumming, and I get this sometimes. I think it sometimes happens when I open my mouth because certain frequencies resonate inside my head and produce weird sounds. Definitely experienced this quite often though.

These voices that you're hearing, they're not coming from the neighbor's dog, are they?

I can walk around in total darkness and put up with noise but I'm funny about not being able to see the doorway when I'm playing drums. I need to be able to see it just in case some wants to walk in and kill me.

I'm fairly new here, and it's comments like this that immediately made me feel right at home.

I hear the voices and other sounds, but I hear them when I'm not playing, too, which is another story and not a joke but not particularly traumatic, either.

I should just stop typing right now. Better yet, a couple of minutes ago!

Last edited:
I don't want to alarm you but if you are "hearing voices" on a regular basis that may be an early sign of schizophrenia-which don't freak out it isn't as stigmatized and you are not cursed (and 10% of the population of the planet has it )as there are various types, all treatable, and people live productive lives. Hearing voices is considered a psychosis.

I don't want to alarm you but if you are "hearing voices" on a regular basis that may be an early sign of schizophrenia-which don't freak out it isn't as stigmatized and you are not cursed (and 10% of the population of the planet has it )as there are various types, all treatable, and people live productive lives. Hearing voices is considered a psychosis.

I'm sure this was well meant. But let's not jump to conclusions. I am an amateur drummer but a professional psychologist.

It is not unusual for the brain to misinterpret background noise or ringing in the ears as a formed perception such as a voice. In fact that's the brain's job---to make sense out of a welter of sensory input. Many of us experience this briefly at night or when we feel threatened. If the OP is only experiencing this while drumming, it is most likely an illusion or misperception like I just described. These experiences are particularly common in people with hearing loss (Charles Bonnet syndrome) or tinnitus.

If the OP is hearing voices at other times without an apparent source of external input, or if the voices are intelligible and giving commands, then a psychological/psychiatric evaluation might be in order. Hope this helps.

. I need to be able to see it just in case some wants to walk in and kill me.

That takes me back to being about 9 years old. When I was walking home at night and getting close to my doorway, I got get the feeling that someone was aiming a gun at me, so I took off, dodging and weaving and hustled to and thru the door into the safety of my house.

Then I wondered, WTF was that? Then I went back to being a kid and forgot all about it.....until now......thanks.

When I practice drums, I always think I hear the phone ringing. In my case, it's actually the overtones of the drums tricking my ears into thinking I'm hearing something. This is without any hearing protection. When I put my phones on, it's not an issue. What you are hearing...sounds like the same thing I experience, except you think you hear voices and I think I hear jingly bells.

I'm the opposite if I got ear protection then I can hear the voice if not I'm normal

Back