I suddenly own this 6-piece Yamaha Tour Custom

IBitePrettyHard

I think he means can turn it 180° so the accessory hole is facing you, which will allow you to slide the toms further down on the hex rod, thereby opening up the sound of the toms. They can be finicky depending on their placement on the hex arm. This would also allow you to back them off if you wanted.
I can never get mounted toms close enough to me. Rotating it around would put the toms almost 2" further away. I need them 2" closer! haha.

Drumprof

You and I had similar experiences and I believe we discussed once in another thread.
I really loved the Renowns, they are fantastic drums for the money, but man they are heavy to move and just didn’t work as easy as I thought they would for a lightweight gigging kit. Couple this with the fact that I already own USA Customs, which are also heavy to haul, I was set on substantially built drums.
So I sold the Renowns and picked up a Tour Custom in Butterscotch (can never go wrong with natural) and they fit the bill perfectly. Along with the value giant Stage Customs both these lines are in my opinion the perfect lightweight gig kits, and neither one compromise sound or quality for weight.

Not that I’m too old (yet) and know hauling drums is part of the game, and it’s work to move them but my Renown floor tom was heavier than the TC 20 inch bass drum. They are just perfect gig drums for the smaller less featured gigs when I don’t need the USA’s. They could have called them GIg Customs.

Also compared to SC’s, I like the shorter bass drum depths, higher lug count on floor toms and bass drums, 2.3 hoops, NA maple as opposed to Chinese birch and I’m cool with a satin finish kit. It’s my first one actually, my other two kits are both a wrap and a lacquered kit.
I’m glad I went for it, plan to keep them and add a matching snare. I hear the TC snares are great.

Last edited:

David Hunter

Wow, that was you?! I've seen you on the forums before, it's a small world! I remember thinking as I was driving away, "I wonder if he's on Drummerworld" because you're a nice and knowledgeable fellow.

It was nice meeting you too David, and I look forward to seeing pics of those kits!
Yep, that was me. :) I'm not on here as much as I'd like to be, but I do have a presence over on DFO (I'm Radio King over there).

And thanks Lee, the feeling is mutual!

notvinnie

I think he means can turn it 180° so the accessory hole is facing you, which will allow you to slide the toms further down on the hex rod, thereby opening up the sound of the toms. They can be finicky depending on their placement on the hex arm. This would also allow you to back them off if you wanted.
Exactly. (y)

IBitePrettyHard

UPDATE

Wow, where to begin. This kit sounds phenomenal. I've put in 3 full hours of playing time on the kit so far.

Using my Renowns as a reference point, the Tour Customs have a slightly faster decay. Slightly more controlled, but still very full sounding. I'll have to do an A/B test, but I suspect the Tour Custom toms might be slightly quieter than the Renowns. But it's negligible.

The Tour Customs definitely handle low tunings better than the Renowns. This is the biggest win over the Renowns that I've found so far. (Not because the Renown's shells aren't capable, but because the tension rods have to be almost loose to get a low tuning). On the Tour Customs, the tension rods are already screwed in a FULL TURN by the time you get the low tuning.

It has Clear Emperors on all the toms except the 10" which has an Ambassador. I believe the TCs come with Ambassadors initially. @David Hunter, were the original Ambassadors not sounding as good in your opinion? I've read online of a few people who said the Ambassadors weren't cutting it so they swapped to Emperors. Was that your experience?

In any case, they sound amazing and I wouldn't change them back because the Emperors sound perfect.

I haven't tried a high tuning on the Tour Customs yet, but Emperors aren't great for high jazz tunings so I may have to swap them out for Coated Ambassadors first.

The Bass Drum. Wow! A big boomy sound, almost like a 24" bass, and with just the right amount of boom and punch and decay. It has a Remo Powerstroke 3. Muffling is totally not necessary, it sounds great wide open. I will experiment with a small towel inside at some point though for a tighter sound.

I took the head off the 10" tom to check the bearing edges. They're perfect and smooth, but not quite as smooth as the Renowns. (The Renown's edges are smooth like porcelain) But this is not a complaint...this kit is a few hundred less than the Renowns, and they're perfectly acceptable in my opinion. I still consider the Tour Custom's shell construction to be impeccable.

Don't get me started on the Satin finish. It's perfect. It's on par with a DW Collector's Satin finish from a looks standpoint. As for durability, I have no idea. I'm not about to put scratches on it to find out, haha.

20 years ago this kit would've cost $3000+ easy (just a 4-piece). It's shocking how far shell manufacturing has come. It looks and sounds that good.

I had preconceptions about this kit judging from the tons of Youtube videos I saw on this kit prior to getting it. I must say, they're a little closer to the sound of the Renowns than I thought. And that's saying something. But who knows, maybe this is the honeymoon period talking, haha. I'll definitely update my thoughts if they should change.

I look forward to doing a direct A/B comparison soon. That should be interesting.

David Hunter

It has Clear Emperors on all the toms except the 10" which has an Ambassador. I believe the TCs come with Ambassadors initially. @David Hunter, were the original Ambassadors not sounding as good in your opinion? I've read online of a few people who said the Ambassadors weren't cutting it so they swapped to Emperors. Was that your experience?
You are correct, they ship with clear Ambassadors top and bottom. When I bought them, I immediately switched them out for clear Emps, which is usual for me. I never tried them with Ambs, but I'm sure they'd sound fine - likely a tad brighter.

Unfortunately, I forgot to change your 10" out, since I never played it. Apologies for that, I just wasn't thinking about the 10" at all. I'll give you a clear Emp if you want it. :)

moneydog59

So reading this thread.....has sparked an acute GAS attack....I'm looking around the interwebs, and it appears that the only way to get the 16 x 15 floor tom is to get the rock shell pack (22 in. kick) ? Looking at Yamaha's site and the only floor tom add on available is the 14 x 13. Am I reading this right?

wildbill

Platinum Member
So reading this thread.....has sparked an acute GAS attack....I'm looking around the interwebs, and it appears that the only way to get the 16 x 15 floor tom is to get the rock shell pack (22 in. kick) ? Looking at Yamaha's site and the only floor tom add on available is the 14 x 13. Am I reading this right?
Yep - the only add-ons besides snares so far are a 14" FT and a 13" Mounted Tom.

I've got a set and am hoping for more add-on options.
I'd like to get a 13" tom, but then I'd have 12/13/14, so would maybe want to get a 16 too.
Other individual bass drum sizes would be cool too.

IBitePrettyHard

You are correct, they ship with clear Ambassadors top and bottom. When I bought them, I immediately switched them out for clear Emps, which is usual for me. I never tried them with Ambs, but I'm sure they'd sound fine - likely a tad brighter.

Unfortunately, I forgot to change your 10" out, since I never played it. Apologies for that, I just wasn't thinking about the 10" at all. I'll give you a clear Emp if you want it. :)
That's not necessary, you are too kind. It sounds great how it is, haha.

I figured you left the Ambassador on the 10" on purpose to let the tom breathe a little better. People often put thinner heads on their 8" toms, so it would make sense on that level.

I have a question about the Velcro as a bass hoop protector. Is that how it came, or is that something you put on? It works just fine, I just wanted to know if there's some trick I'm not aware of, haha.

David Hunter

It's my DIY hoop protector method, lol. It's just a cheap way to offer some grip and protection. I buy a long roll of Velcro and cut a few inches off. The hook side goes on top and the loop on the bottom. Easy to remove, and it keeps the hoop pretty much unscathed.

Drumprof

I agree with everything Ibite said about the kit.
It is a great sounding pure maple kit and with a great feel. The Renowns are a bit more resonant where the TC’s are a bit more controlled which is very much a Yamaha thing and full sounding.
The tuning range is excellent. They handle lows really well in a punchy way and they will go all the way to a short bebop tuning with single ply heads.
The bass drum (I have the 20) is really pleasing, I imagine the 22 is as he described.

The finish is nicely done with the maple coloring peeking through the stain and satin is a nice change for Yamaha. I believe this is their only non laquer offering.

Also, I know a lot of lines claim to be versatile but I truly believe these drums really are, especially with head selection and tuning. With two ply’s and medium low tuning these would make a great rock kit. Single ply’s tuned up with the 20, a great jazz kit.
I do wish Yamaha would bring in more available add ons. Open up the series like they do with the stage customs. I would definitely add a 16 floor and get a 22 kick. A 3 piece bop configuration with an 18 should also be offered. An all maple Yamaha bop kit would fill a nice void in their line up.

The only thing left to mention which was a deciding factor for me as I mentioned earlier, these drums are light! Easy to haul all four or five drums in one trip. They are kind of like a value minded Absolute Lite.

NouveauCliche

UPDATE

Wow, where to begin. This kit sounds phenomenal. I've put in 3 full hours of playing time on the kit so far.

Using my Renowns as a reference point, the Tour Customs have a slightly faster decay. Slightly more controlled, but still very full sounding. I'll have to do an A/B test, but I suspect the Tour Custom toms might be slightly quieter than the Renowns. But it's negligible.

The Tour Customs definitely handle low tunings better than the Renowns. This is the biggest win over the Renowns that I've found so far. (Not because the Renown's shells aren't capable, but because the tension rods have to be almost loose to get a low tuning). On the Tour Customs, the tension rods are already screwed in a FULL TURN by the time you get the low tuning.

In any case, they sound amazing and I wouldn't change them back because the Emperors sound perfect.

I haven't tried a high tuning on the Tour Customs yet, but Emperors aren't great for high jazz tunings so I may have to swap them out for Coated Ambassadors first.

The Bass Drum. Wow! A big boomy sound, almost like a 24" bass, and with just the right amount of boom and punch and decay. It has a Remo Powerstroke 3. Muffling is totally not necessary, it sounds great wide open. I will experiment with a small towel inside at some point though for a tighter sound.

I took the head off the 10" tom to check the bearing edges. They're perfect and smooth, but not quite as smooth as the Renowns. (The Renown's edges are smooth like porcelain) But this is not a complaint...this kit is a few hundred less than the Renowns, and they're perfectly acceptable in my opinion. I still consider the Tour Custom's shell construction to be impeccable.

Don't get me started on the Satin finish. It's perfect. It's on par with a DW Collector's Satin finish from a looks standpoint. As for durability, I have no idea. I'm not about to put scratches on it to find out, haha.

20 years ago this kit would've cost $3000+ easy (just a 4-piece). It's shocking how far shell manufacturing has come. It looks and sounds that good.

I had preconceptions about this kit judging from the tons of Youtube videos I saw on this kit prior to getting it. I must say, they're a little closer to the sound of the Renowns than I thought. And that's saying something. But who knows, maybe this is the honeymoon period talking, haha. I'll definitely update my thoughts if they should change.

I look forward to doing a direct A/B comparison soon. That should be interesting.
I'm really looking forward to a direct A/B as I'm thinking of picking up a renown as a touring kit and retiring my custom built kit to the studio. (She's already got more wear on her then I'd like frankly - just from shows and moving and all that.)

IBitePrettyHard

@David Hunter, I've been meaning to ask you. What's your opinion on the Tour Maple snare? Is it just run of the mill, or "pretty good" or great?

Also, since I'm assuming you either own or have played a ton of snares...which snare is your favorite? Or maybe your Top 3 snares, and why?

Darth Vater

@David Hunter just posted the Prolite kits on Craigslist (Norfolk).

Anyone wanna buy a kidney?

For Krysake!! Darn you David !! So for $3500 I could have a dbl bass prolite kit in W/B with 3 floor toms. Or buy both, sell one of the bass drums, FTs and keep a 2 up and 2 dn with a 22" kick. Or keep both and have a little kit for fun sized gigs. I'll bet that 18" FT is a load of thunder too! This is not good. Here I am drinking a little scotch and seeing this ad with my pea sized brain thinking satanic drum buying things. This is how I get in trouble with the wife. Although at this point it's just a sigh, a head shake and "it's your money". :ROFLMAO:

David Hunter

@David Hunter, I've been meaning to ask you. What's your opinion on the Tour Maple snare? Is it just run of the mill, or "pretty good" or great?
Lee, I was very pleasantly surprised when I received it. I bought it on recommendation of a fellow Sonor aficionado on DFO. He was right: the thing has crispness and depth, with tons of body. I was really impressed that Yamaha was able to create a mid range snare that sounds so good. Dual snare strainer tension, single point lugs, 25-strand wires. It's a very impressive drum that won't break the bank.

Also, since I'm assuming you either own or have played a ton of snares...which snare is your favorite? Or maybe your Top 3 snares, and why?
I'm partial to German Sonor snare drums. They just seem to offer everything I want to hear (and feel) when playing. They sound totally unique, and I got spoiled after my first one, a 6.5" Vintage Series. I've never come across a bad one; they're all worthy. My absolute favorites would have to be either of the 2 beech Phonic reissues (5.75 Rosewood or 6.5 Mahogany), closely followed by the beech Vintage Series (either depth), and then the 6" vintage maple Prolite. But, even the birch SQ1 sounds fantastic. I would be happy (and am) with any of them. (Insert commercial here: I've listed both a low mileage 6.5" Prolite with Hella hoops and a GT Black SQ1 for sale, just sayin'.) 😉