I started a drum t-shirt company

Joey Waters

Hi everyone, my name is Joey Waters. I'm a 41 year old drummer from Kentucky, and I play for a rock band called 'Dream the Electric Sleep'. We are fairly proggy at times, and have been around for about 10 years.

I started a drum t-shirt company earlier this year called 'On the 1'. I did this for one reason, all the drum related shirts I had sucked! They didn't fit well and the designs seemed like afterthoughts. So I decided to make my own with designs that meant something to me and shirts that actually fit well and feel good. It's definitely more expensive to do it that way, but better that than more Gildan 'Heavy Cotton' shirts that wouldn't fit a bourbon barrel!

If anyone is interested in checking out the website, click here, On the 1 . I have attached a picture of one of the designs to the bottom of this post. I'm in the process of getting that design in black, if anyone is curious.

I'll gladly accept any feedback as well. You guys are my audience!

Thanks so much!

Joey

Screen Shot 2021-09-03 at 3.11.10 PM.jpg

The Shepherd

Cool site and great idea!

I'm looking forward to seeing more designs. If one of them speaks to me, I'll see if you're shipping to Canada. :)

Bozozoid

If I didn't look like such a dork in t-shirts I'd wait in line. Will you branch out into collared shirts?.

Joey Waters

If I didn't look like such a dork in t-shirts I'd wait in line. Will you branch out into collared shirts?.
Haha, maybe these would actually fit you better! That's why I started the company. To get shirts that fit me across the chest, they would look like a dress near my waist. No more of that crap. Mine are 'Next Level' blanks, 60/40 cotton/poly blend, and I've been wearing them for years.

Man, I would LOVE to branch out into other things like hats, hoodies, etc, but the initial investment was enough that I need to be conservative and stick to the t-shirts for a bit longer. Thanks for the reply!

Joey

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
I love t-shirts. Does the lettering last long? I wear mine out quickly- faded and hole-y before I know it. I hate that with a favorite t-shirt. Good luck

JDFaulky

Great idea man. Drummer merch is terrible out there with a few exceptions (Pearl and Vic Firth make some cool stuff but very expensive). It's always a bunch of corny stuff with Animal from the Muppets or "weapons of mass percussion" wording on them. We need better drummer apparel so thanks for fighting the good fight.

Joey Waters

I love t-shirts. Does the lettering last long? I wear mine out quickly- faded and hole-y before I know it. I hate that with a favorite t-shirt. Good luck
I have been wearing and washing the hell out of these since March and all is holding up well. The black lettering on the light grey shirt shows the most lettering fade, but it's minor, and that seems to be consistent with any dark-lettered shirt I've owned. The shirts with the white lettering show zero fade that I can see. The shirts themselves hold up well, and I've worn this brand of blank shirts for years. They're more expensive to use in terms of my brand, but the whole point was quality!

Joey

Joey Waters

Great idea man. Drummer merch is terrible out there with a few exceptions (Pearl and Vic Firth make some cool stuff but very expensive). It's always a bunch of corny stuff with Animal from the Muppets or "weapons of mass percussion" wording on them. We need better drummer apparel so thanks for fighting the good fight.
Much appreciated, and you're spot on as to why I did this, haha! Give the site a look, and let me know what you think.

https://onthe1brand.com/

Joey Waters

Guys, I'm also on instagram at https://www.instagram.com/onthe1brand/ if you want to connect, and it shows that I'm a real person, not some slimy marketing guy.

I did the website, pictures, video, everything myself to offer some authenticity to the whole thing.

I hope to hear from some of you, if not in a purchase, then at least in a follow or to say 'hello'.

Thanks for the feedback, gentlemen!

Joey

someguy01

I wear mine out quickly- faded
turn your t-shirts inside out before you wash them, it helps to keep the detergent from washing out and fading the printing. I have been doing this since age 10 when I was taught to do my own laundry. I have t-shirts from the 90s that still look new.

pocket player

Hi everyone, my name is Joey Waters. I'm a 41 year old drummer from Kentucky, and I play for a rock band called 'Dream the Electric Sleep'. We are fairly proggy at times, and have been around for about 10 years.

I started a drum t-shirt company earlier this year called 'On the 1'. I did this for one reason, all the drum related shirts I had sucked! They didn't fit well and the designs seemed like afterthoughts. So I decided to make my own with designs that meant something to me and shirts that actually fit well and feel good. It's definitely more expensive to do it that way, but better that than more Gildan 'Heavy Cotton' shirts that wouldn't fit a bourbon barrel!

If anyone is interested in checking out the website, click here, On the 1 . I have attached a picture of one of the designs to the bottom of this post. I'm in the process of getting that design in black, if anyone is curious.

I'll gladly accept any feedback as well. You guys are my audience!

Thanks so much!

Joey

View attachment 108106
great idea

Woolwich

Silver Member
Along with the size how about showing the armpit to armpit measurement? That way a buyer can compare the measurement to their favourite t shirt and minimise disappointment and returns.

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
My user name a took from a t-shirt I had made by a company that has since long gone out of business.

So I love the idea, but it's going to be tough to keep up making only drummer shirts.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Remember the Big Johnson t-shirts? I always wished there was a Big Johnson Drumsticks shirt. Something along the lines of "You can hit the skins for hours when you swing a Big Johnson".

Lee-Bro

Hi everyone, my name is Joey Waters. I'm a 41 year old drummer from Kentucky, and I play for a rock band called 'Dream the Electric Sleep'.

Congrat's on the jump...I'm in NKY (Ft. Thomas). I did something slightly similar, I bought the equipment to make my band's own shirts. I don't make shirts for others as I don't have the time, but for the band, I can make the time. We recently sent out our 700th shirt (we sell some, give away most as promo items).

index.php

Next time I'm down in Lexi, I'll give you a heads up and we can grab lunch.

Attachments

• CollageMain.jpg
    CollageMain.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 43

Joey Waters

Along with the size how about showing the armpit to armpit measurement? That way a buyer can compare the measurement to their favourite t shirt and minimise disappointment and returns.
Not a bad idea, just need to sit down and do it. If anyone checks the site, that's me in the pics - I'm 6'3" and wearing an XL for reference until I get some measurements up.