I saw my first black bear today

A J

I live in northwest Michigan. Stepped outside of my house about 8 PM today and saw a small black bear about 100 meters away, running away from me! Never saw one before. It was only for a few seconds, but wow! What a beautiful animal! The fur was a shiny gloss black.

Bozozoid

Run after! Him..catch! Him befor someone else! does. Give it some French fries and bring him in your house. I think bears will eat fries...let us know.

• Haha
Reactions: A J

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
They are here, but I've never seen one. It's funny, because they wander into Fayetteville all the time and are big news. One would think that here in the woods we would see them.

My wife is from Alaska. She has some bear stories.

Stroman

Platinum Member
That's awesome! Good luck was on your side. :D

I remember one in Post Falls Idaho, walking along the sidewalk at the outlet mall. That one made the newspaper. They are more skittish in the wild, for sure. I've only seen a few in the PNW woods, but they're here.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Thank you for not shooting it. That always seems to be the outcome...

while hiking the Appalachian Trail years ago, we got in between a momma bear and 3 cubs unknowingly. The worst situation to be in...we all got big and loud, and just stood still while she assessed the situation. After about 10 crazy minutes, the cubs lumbered into the woods ,and momma followed...looking back once at us wit ha pretty loud roar/grunt/groewl...

in hindsight, it was an awesome experience...but while there, I thought we were dead

Morrisman

Platinum Member
That would be amazing to see. Around here I see koalas a few times each year, but they’re much smalller and safer.

• Haha

Old PIT Guy

I was hiking a few years ago when I nearly walked right into a black bear, and with an odd twist to the story. It was a windy clear day, mid-Fall, and I had just come up a hill and was nearing a bend into a clearing. I suddenly felt mild panic and couldn't for the life me figure out why on earth I would feel that way.

And that's just when I cleared the bend and was face to face with the bear. He, or she, was picking at something on the side of the trail, maybe 20 feet away. It stood maybe 3-4 feet at the shoulder - fairly large black bear. My heart was pounding, and as nonchalantly as I could, turned around and walked at the same pace back the way I came with my pulse pounding in my ears hoping I could hear a foot-fall if the bear decided to come my direction. I didn't consider what I would do if it did.

The encounter ended there, but I always wondered if that feeling of panic before I saw the bear was connected to its presence -- perhaps an innate mechanism triggered by a smell I wasn't consciously aware of.

Icetech

Gold Member
you near ellsworth? love that area, my family is from up there..

Last edited:

GetAgrippa

Platinum Member
My wife was biking at Mexico beach Florida and she biked up on “two huge black bears” near the dump . There was no incident but she was surprised to see such “huge bears” in Florida. I think more people die from dog attacks in one year than all black bear attacks in North America in decades. Any animal with young offspring or eggs can be real defensive.

A J

Thank you for not shooting it. That always seems to be the outcome...

while hiking the Appalachian Trail years ago, we got in between a momma bear and 3 cubs unknowingly. The worst situation to be in...we all got big and loud, and just stood still while she assessed the situation. After about 10 crazy minutes, the cubs lumbered into the woods ,and momma followed...looking back once at us wit ha pretty loud roar/grunt/groewl...

in hindsight, it was an awesome experience...but while there, I thought we were dead

Shooting a bear hasn't even crossed my mind. Deer on the other hand might be on the agenda some day. The folks at the Land Conservancy of West Michigan say there are too many deer on my property and are trying to convince me to get into deer hunting. Meh... Seems like a lot of work. I think I'll stick to drumming and bear watching! 😆

No Way Jose

Silver Member
Did you name it?

sumdrumguy

Our previous house was on a large property with apple and cherry trees. Black bears climbed the apple trees each year. We always left fruit on the trees for them. Watched them feast from our porch.

We also had deer and elk move through the property. A few times, when we were head down in the garden, we would look up to see an elk standing on the pasture munching wild grass/flowers. Obviously feeling no threat from us.

Beyond our own memories, I am thankful our kids got to see these, and other, amazing creatures up close. Hang back, allow them to be, and enjoy those moments.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
My goal is to be able to hand feed the deer on my property. I have literally thousands of acres of undeveloped railroad property directly behind me that house the majority of the wild animals near me. It's not my land but I pretend it is, as it's accessible from my back yard. The deer are very comfortable and don't run when I go out on my deck. They look at me, then continue eating, which they won't do unless they feel safe. I feed the animals every night with the leftovers, or old food I am throwing out, and they all seem to trust me. If I were a hunter I could have free venison for life by harvesting deer from my deck. But I will NEVER harm them. I dig them too much. I'm earning their trust.

It's awesome to have a sort of mutually beneficial relationship with the wild animals I encounter on my lawn everyday. I get skunks, vultures, deer, feral cats, raccoons, foxes, groundhogs, turkeys (I saw 30 at one time), chipmunks, and all kinds of birds including owls and Baltimore Orioles and bald eagles. I absolutely love it and could never live in a city

Last edited:

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Our previous house was on a large property with apple and cherry trees. Black bears climbed the apple trees each year. We always left fruit on the trees for them. Watched them feast from our porch.

We also had deer and elk move through the property. A few times, when we were head down in the garden, we would look up to see an elk standing on the pasture munching wild grass/flowers. Obviously feeling no threat from us.

Beyond our own memories, I am thankful our kids got to see these, and other, amazing creatures up close. Hang back, allow them to be, and enjoy those moments.

that is awesome!!! I wish I could have grown up in the same way!!

Otto

Platinum Member
Surprised you didn't smell him first...even at 100 meters.

Stinky guys....

A J

Surprised you didn't smell him first...even at 100 meters.

Stinky guys....
No. Didn't smell a thing.

Earlier this summer my wife stumbled upon a black bear at a distance of 15 feet! She said she did not smell the bear, but the dogs sure did.