I saw "Bohemian Rhapsody"

Indeed. I didn't see this movie but saw him in Mr. Robot. Very good

BEST ACTOR - DRAMA

Bradley Cooper, “A Star Is Born”
Willem Dafoe, “At Eternity’s Gate”
Lucas Hedges, “Boy Erased”
Rami Malek, “Bohemian Rhapsody” (WINNER)
John David Washington, “BlacKkKlansman”

Great movie, and kudos to the props department until they put new Zildjian cymbals in the Live Aid scenes! They could have just removed the logos...

I saw a video last night on how they did the sound for the movie and was a little disappointed to see how much lip syncing there was. But I havent seen the movie.

I saw Green Book first then Bohemian rhapsody. I really enjoyed both just watching them-cried during Bohemian rhapsody. Rami's first appearance he just looked odd-nothing like Mercury-but a testament to his acting you forget that quickly as he does seem to capture the character. Now cause I reflect on everything I found a number of things about each movie that bothered me though (which I'm not going to bother anyone with my opinion). Overall worthy movies to watch-but I don't know if either really worthy of such accolades-other than relatively so compared to competition.

We rented it this past weekend. It was good, but not great. My wife is a huge Queen fan, but got rather bored by mid-movie. I think I'd already seen too many documentaries on Queen.

I liked it a lot, and after I'd seen it, I watched a lot of YouTube stuff about Freddie and Queen, and watched the documentary "Mercury Rising." All good stuff.

I've probably watched the real Live Aid Queen set on YouTube 20-30 times, and now, I have a hard time watching Rami Malek as Freddie. Don't get me wrong - he did a great job, but there was a natural smoothness to Freddie's charisma that seems a little choppy and forced when Rami is playing Freddie. But then again, that's why the band made the statement following Freddie's Death that Queen was (more or less) done - without Freddie, can there really be Queen?

One other thing that I discovered watching the movie was that I came to the realization that I have always really liked Queen as a band, and wouldn't have considered myself a fan prior to that.

A great article here about the sound. What I saw earlier was that they used 10,000 smart phones at one point to gain a large audience sound. Each person emailed there recording to the sound team.

https://soundandpicture.com/2019/02...nd-editing-team-re-created-rock-roll-royalty/

And another this guy is really good.

https://abc7.com/entertainment/oscars-the-voice-behind-the-bohemian-rhapsody-film/5151106/

Wow GruntersDad that second one is incredible-thanks for posting that. I think I went to a DownHere concert (or they came to our church??) and everyone was talking about how much he sounded like Mercury. That's incredible. I'm pretty sure we talked with them afterwards too and I met him??? I never thought of myself as a Queen fan-more sporadically interested, but once watching the movie and remembering all their hits their influence was more than I realized.

Great movie, and kudos to the props department until they put new Zildjian cymbals in the Live Aid scenes! They could have just removed the logos...

Agreed. The drumheads also have modern Remo logos. They also briefly show the pedal, which I believe was a Premier, and that looked too modern to be an 80s model as well. I'm sure they could have gotten Remo and Zildjian to make period-correct heads and cymbals for the filming, and picked up an actual pedal from the 80s off eBay. With all the attention to detail, it's surprising that no one thought of getting the kit period correct. The drums themselves look correct for that time, but the other aspects of the kit don't.

Great movie though, I'm just nitpicking.

Agreed. The drumheads also have modern Remo logos. They also briefly show the pedal, which I believe was a Premier, and that looked too modern to be an 80s model as well. I'm sure they could have gotten Remo and Zildjian to make period-correct heads and cymbals for the filming, and picked up an actual pedal from the 80s off eBay. With all the attention to detail, it's surprising that no one thought of getting the kit period correct. The drums themselves look correct for that time, but the other aspects of the kit don't.

Great movie though, I'm just nitpicking.

I was happy that for once, just once, the drummer was actually playing what was in the song and that video was actually synchronized to he music. How often does that happen? They get a pass on the logos!

I was happy that for once, just once, the drummer was actually playing what was in the song and that video was actually synchronized to he music. How often does that happen? They get a pass on the logos!

Agreed, I thought Ben Hardy did a great job. I read something about how he lied to the producers before he was cast about his drumming skills, then had to get up to speed very quickly once he had the job.

BTW, this is not the first time that's happened though, as Tom Everett Scott also did a great job in That Thing You Do!

I've been a fan of Queen since the late 70s. I was even fortunate enough in my early teenage years to see the band perform live in concert twice. And oh yes, I remember their Live Aid performance very well that day since I am local to the Philadelphia area, and sat glued to the TV screen all day watching.

I thought the film Bohemian Rhapsody was great depiction of all things surrounding the life of the band. To me, there really wasn't hardly anything that I disapproved of, or was disappointed with as it brought back vivid memories of certain times and specific events during the course of my own life at the time - enough to make me misty-eyed at one point I admit. It was a long time coming, but it was surely well worth the wait. Fred was truly a gem, and one of the all-time great male vocalists to ever front a band. Period.

I don't think there was a need to completely fabricate all the things that they just blatantly made up in the movie

the Queen story is good enough and didn't need to be dramatized for Hollywood affect

decent movie ... but I just couldn't get past all the blatant made up stuff and the stuff just so out of sync with reality

which is a bit surprising because Brian and Roger were involved in the making quite a bit

some of what I'm talking about is ...

-The Ray Foster character is completely fabricated... he doesn’t exist and there was no executive at EMI who didn’t believe in Queen.
-The whole thing where Freddie reveals the he is sick before Live Aid... he wasn’t even diagnosed until nearly 2 years after Live Aid and literally didn’t tell the band he was HIV positive until near his death... they knew but he never uttered the words until near the end of his life.
-the dramatic band break up only to get back together years later for Live Aid is completely fabricated... the band never broke up ... they had even put out an album like 8 months prior to the show and were touring up until 8 weeks before Live Aid.
- the whole beef with Freddie’s solo album... completely false... Roger did 2 solo albums I believe before Freddie did his... it had very little impact on the band
- they depict We Will Rock you to be written in 1980 when the song was actually recorded in ‘76 and released in ‘77... bizarre
- they show John Decan playing bass as Queens first show... he was actually their 4th bass player and was nowhere near that gig.
- they say Freddie was randomly at the gig where their singer quit and they all met that night...completely fabricated ... Freddie knew all those guys for a long time ... even lived with a couple of them before joining Queen.
There’s a bunch more... just so bizarre because all of this stuff is well documented

Well said, Who's Tony. They used the standard Hollywood rom com formula. Happy beginning, bring on some conflict, then resolve it for a nice tidy ending. It's a shame, the movie could have been much more.

I never felt much much closeness between Mercury and the band in the movie version, and they also downplayed his homosexuality, for the masses.

Entertaining and worth seeing, but also flawed and typical Hollywood. The balcony is closed.

On the plus side, I now have an (alomst) 12 year old daughter who's completely enamoured with all things Queen, purely because she watched the movie. From what I can tell, she's not alone.

What a way to ensure your relevance to a new generation of fans. It's quite possible the upcoming Elton John movie 'Rocketman' may have a similar effect. I wonder if a whole heap of bands will be scrambling to jump on the band wagon after that?

Just finished and thoroughly enjoyed it through and through. I’ve been a fan since the beginning. My wife... not a clue (her music background is rather limited). Anyway, she enjoyed quite a bit.

Definitely wetted my appetite for Rocketman this summer.

Having never been a queen fan and knowing nothing of them until the movie, I thought the movie was great. The only thing that bothered me was the prosthetic teeth. Then having seen the actor on a talk show later, I realized he didn't even need them!
I had just seen Malek in a war movie set in the pacific. He creeped me out greatly.

Yep it's sort a like after you've read a book the movie depiction is almost always different and often a disappointment. If you know the real story then things about the movie "bug you". But it is just a movie and was overall enjoyable.

There is a person or group in a movie organization, called Continuity. Their job is to fact check and to also make sure movies are seamed together properly. One angle shows a guy with a torn shirt, then switch cameras and the shirt is still intact. From what Tony says this group failed to do their job

Back