I need this!

So Vox is a division of Korg and they re-introduced the Telstar drumset from the 60s (not a full-blown replica of the original, just mainly the bass drum). I SO need this kit for the Devo band.

But they said they may ship in three months. So it’s true. NAMM stands for “Not Available, Maybe May”

?View attachment 89662
Did it melt?
I had to google Vox drums since they looked a lot like Trixon, and if I didn't misread Vox drums are imported Trixon drums.

Been seeing these plastered about over the net recently. Had the chance of an original one many years ago but declined. Would decline again I'm afraid.

Yes! Reverb has been trying to stuff this Vox down my throat. I kinda like the Trixons but don’t feel heads for bds were accessible.
I am curious, how did the kick sound in action?

With the frequent postings about bass drum beater striking point, dead center etc, I also wonder about the sound and tuning.

Hmm.
“…produced under the supervision of SAKAE OSAKA HERITAGE.” ?

Attachments

• 5534425C-055B-4E71-A661-090E24B8DCFC.jpeg
    5534425C-055B-4E71-A661-090E24B8DCFC.jpeg
    238.5 KB · Views: 3
Well, I didn’t get a chance to play this one, but Pro Drum in Hollywood has an original from the 60s (with the appropriate toms too), and that bass drum sounds ok. Pro Drum is able to get heads made from Remo so I was never worried about that and Remo at this show even had a head on display announcing they were supporting this strange bass drum. So that was cool. I wonder if Remo did that when Tama debuted the 11” tom tom?

If I can get Powerstroke 3 bass drum heads for this kit then I’m in!

With the frequent postings about bass drum beater striking point, dead center etc, I also wonder about the sound and tuning.
Steve Maxwell acquired some new old stock Trixon drums a while back and he posted a video about them. I think he said that this shape was actually to enable a second bass drum pedal to be attached (before double pedals existed).

If it was an improvement on "round sound", everyone would do it. Honestly, it just looks like a drunk fat man sat on it. Gimmicky looking.

If it was an improvement on "round sound", everyone would do it. Honestly, it just looks like a drunk fat man sat on it. Gimmicky looking.
I’m sure this was said back in the 60s ?. And I think that was the point. This is the same company that made the conical drums too. I’m surprised they didn’t debut those. At least those didn’t require special heads!

I’m sure this was said back in the 60s ?. And I think that was the point. This is the same company that made the conical drums too. I’m surprised they didn’t debut those. At least those didn’t require special heads!

And, as far as those heads--they look hard as heck to tune, yeah?

its not a telstar kit, its a reissued speedfire kit, whoever named it the telstar kit doesnt know their drum history. vox are the american import version of trixon (or were, dont know if trixon are still going and vox became an independent company). the theory behind this bass drum was it could attach more than one pedal to it, and it was meant to sound better than some standard kits. but finding heads to fit it were always difficult

I had the opportunity to play a nicely restored Trixon a few years back, and spent a bit of time messing with tuning the bass drum. I understood the concept of a choice of pedal positions theoretically offering different tones. Pedal placement did make a difference, but nowhere near enough difference to justify the hassle associated with head availability / choice, and the overall sound wasn't that great anyhow IMHO.

No mention of the wood type, hoop thickness, etc.

Also, I can't be the only one who thinks of Salvador Dali when I look at that, right?
The-Persistence-of-Memory-canvas-collection-Salvador-1931.jpg

Did they not have some type of board in the kick to have two chambers?
The early Trixon sets did - so you would get different tones depending on where the pedals were placed. Not sure of the wood, I'm sure it's the usual mystery woods used in alot of kits. Considering that some people are selling actual Trixon kits from the 60s in the $3000+ range, and this new one lists for $1799 (so hopefully street price will be much lower), I'm sure it's more novelty factor than sonic sensation.

I wouldn't be getting it for the sound. Besides, like any bass drum, cut a small hole in the front, stick a pillow in there and put the mic inside, and it'll work for the usual pop music stuff.

Back