I need that thick, deep, Nashville country music snare drum! What do I get?

I played the kit that matches that snare. It was fantastic.

Tama KA154.

The first time it was suggested to me by Terry Bissett, he tuned the drum “like Aronoff” and it was a revelation.

The second time it was recommended to me was by Aronoff himself. Said he used it on many Nashville recordings.

Last edited:
I play for a country artist, and work the cover band circuit(covid notwithstanding). We cover a lot of both older and newer, modern country material. I use the "Big Fat Snare" dampener over a 6.5x14" Ludwig Supraphonic 402. Works well for me, and for $20 it might be just the solution you are looking for. I like the finger cutout so you can pull it off quickly. I use it for songs like "Heartache Medication" by Jon Pardi that feature that super fat sound. Nice to have something I can deploy with a few seconds. Maybe this helps you find your desired sound.

Just as the title says. I'm playing a lot of country music, and I want that deep, rich country snare drum! What should I get?

Answers I'm not looking for:

You can play country music on anything: I know this already, but I'm looking for the right tool for the right job. In a bind, I'm sure I could possibly change a tire with vice grips, I'd rather use a tire iron.

It's all about EQ and compression in the studio: I know this too, but I also recognize signal chain as well. I'm not going to have the luxuries out in the wild.

It's all about attitude, not the gear: I don't know how much more country I can be living in the sticks in NC.

So what do you think? What am I looking for? I'd prefer to stay with maple, but I'm open. Thanks!
Gretsch USA 8x14 with 42-strand snares. The burgundy sparkle sounds particularly country.

The few times I’ve had to find that “Nashville” sound, I just used the BFSD atop my 6.5x14 bronze snare. There hasn’t been much I haven’t been able to replicate well enough with that an my 6.5x14 cast aluminum snare. Both are fitted with Remo Ambassador. The aluminum is super dry sounding and the bronze wet. Between the two, gels and BFSD I can cover just about everything.

While I agree some shallower shares are more sensitive, it’s not always the case. With the two I have now, I don’t really notice a huge difference. I’ve since sold off all other 6.5 and 5.5 snares, because I’m happy with both tone and sensitivity. The bronze being the thinner of the two even responds to the lightest touch with the Aquarian Super Pad installed.

For a quiet jazz gig, I’d likely have to get a 5 or 5.5 depth, not for sensitivity but for its lower volume. I still suck at jazz, so don’t see that being an issue for a while.

Just as the title says. I'm playing a lot of country music, and I want that deep, rich country snare drum! What should I get?

Answers I'm not looking for:

You can play country music on anything: I know this already, but I'm looking for the right tool for the right job. In a bind, I'm sure I could possibly change a tire with vice grips, I'd rather use a tire iron.

It's all about EQ and compression in the studio: I know this too, but I also recognize signal chain as well. I'm not going to have the luxuries out in the wild.

It's all about attitude, not the gear: I don't know how much more country I can be living in the sticks in NC.

So what do you think? What am I looking for? I'd prefer to stay with maple, but I'm open. Thanks!
Maple will get you a low fund, so will bronze as far as metallic shells go.
I have a 6.5x14 brass free floater, and 6.5x14 bronze sensitone.
The brass will crack a lack with ease.
The bronze for sure, has a stooping reach in lower pitched sound, reminds me of the 80s country sound. (Does sound nice tuned up as well.)

Almost makes me want to play some Ronnie Milsap or Conway Twitty.

I also have a 5x14 Renown maple snare, but would let it take a backseat to the bronze in this arena.

Last edited:
Modern country, at least the pop side of it, is like rock used to be. What kinda snare would you use for that? Just about any of them would do. Pick one you like. Use rods or brushes for acoustic gigs,

When I do country gigs I tend to use a 14" x 7" Maple Snare I had made.
I use a single ply head, and a Cympad "Shark" on it for dampening. Fit's the bill just right.

Can I just say that I love the fact that you do country gigs?

giphy.gif

Here’s some fatness for ya.

It's always amusing to me to watch our distinguished members overthink things. I'd rather just make a decision and live with it. One thing I learned in the business world is that not every decision you make works out. Sometimes it's best just to cut your losses and move on.

Bottom line is: For God's sake just pick something and get on with it! There's only like a million good snares out there. :rolleyes:

A Pearl Session Series 8×14 tuned low with some of the muffling mentioned above. Relatively inexpensive solution. Or, a used drum in deep dimension with rounded bearing edges. LM 401 Ludwig would make it happen as well.

Back