I need some help with all state jazz

ludwigkid

So I'm trying out for all state jazz this Saturday, and just need a little advice. Basically I have to perform the written piece as well as demonstrate certain styles, (instructions below.)

Drummers – Perform the etude as written. Also be prepared to demonstrate various styles including Latin, Swing, Funk, Ballad, etc… as requested by the adjudicators.
Anyways, what I was wondering is for certain styles, such as Latin, which grooves would be the best to play? I know it's pretty vague, but i was wondering how to best represent each style.

Thanks.

limcid

If I was in your situation, I would focus on demonstrating solid, basic grooves in those different styles. I think it would be a mistake to try and impress them with something intricate and "noisy". Maybe add a little spice here and there.

You mostly want to demonstrate your ability to be a good accompanist, since that will be your role in the final ensemble. Solid timekeeping, solid grooves, with a little spice.

Always remember your secret weapon for info: YouTube

Good Luck! I hope that helps.

I remember going to All State Percussion. One year I was third chair, and another year I actually won first place. It was challenging and fun, plus I met people that I ended up meeting again in College where we studied percussion. Remember to be a musical drummer, not just a drummer. I think that's what helped me to win first chair because there were people auditioning that had way better chops than me.

A

Anthony Amodeo

I regularly prepare my students for these type of auditions

we usually work on a Samba or a Mozambique ....sometimes they like to hear a nice Bossa Nova.
a 4/4 swing and a 3/4 swing or jazz waltz ....with some very basic comps.
for funk we would use maybe Cold Sweat or maybe Funky Drummer if the player is more advanced.
then some brush patterns for a nice ballad approach.

I can proudly say I have never had a student not ace an audition

we over prepare......which I am a huge fan of

ludwigkid

Thanks for the feedback guys! I know descent versions of all the grooves you mentioned, so hopefully I will be in good shape. I am still a little curious though, like say, if they say play a latin, which type of groove should I be inclined to play? A Mambo? Mozambique? Samba? Bolero? haha It's probably nothing I should be worried about, I'm a just a little curious. I assume they will have me probably play a samba and bossa.

bigd

Silver Member
I'm sure they'll tell you which latin groove they want. You will probably have to play more then one. Have you worked with your private teacher to prepare for this audition? That should have been your first stop instead of here.

ludwigkid

Yes, i've been studying with my instructor, and I have another lesson with someone else tomorrow. I just wanted to get some more opinions.

vxla

Silver Member
Thanks for the feedback guys! I know descent versions of all the grooves you mentioned, so hopefully I will be in good shape. I am still a little curious though, like say, if they say play a latin, which type of groove should I be inclined to play? A Mambo? Mozambique? Samba? Bolero? haha It's probably nothing I should be worried about, I'm a just a little curious. I assume they will have me probably play a samba and bossa.

I'd have, at my fingertips, ready to go, the following:

• Cha Cha
  • Bolero
  • Mozambique
  • Bossa Nova
  • A generic Samba pattern
  • an understanding of the basic cascara pattern, and how to apply it to clave

And please, call them rhythms as that's what they are.. not a groove. A "groove" is what you do with a rhythm, once you can play it correctly.

Good luck!

Last edited:
A

Anthony Amodeo

First, there is no such thing as a "samba" groove. Samba is a form of music, not a specific rhythm. I'd have, at my fingertips, ready to go, the following:

• Cha Cha
  • Bolero
  • Mozambique
  • Bossa Nova
  • A generic Samba pattern
  • an understanding of the basic cascara pattern, and how to apply it to clave

And please, call them rhythms as that's what they are.. not a groove. A "groove" is what you do with a rhythm, once you can play it correctly.

Good luck!
are we off our soap box now?

feel better?

we all know what each other means when we communicate this way .....grooves, rhythms , or whatever other word anyone could think of.....is completely fine to use

and yes there is such thing as a samba groove......samba is the music we play and it grooves....there for what we are playing to the samba music is a samba groove

get over yourself brother ......no one will take kindly to your preaching around here

especially when it is nonsensical like this

sounds like you have been stuck in a classroom to long and need to get out more ....the air must be quite stuffy in there as well because it sure has rubbed off on you

...and by the way.....thanks for regurgitating all the information that was already offered to this gentleman

vxla

Silver Member
are we off our soap box now?

feel better?

[..]

and there is nothing wrong with referring to the rhythm as Samba .....that is what the rhythm is widely known as and what most would refer to it as
Yes, Samba is a rhythm. Salsa is not.

As for the rest of your message, it's usually "okay" to get a second opinion, and I have enough experience judging competitions to know what I'd look for, personally, in a player.

vxla

Silver Member
what original message ?

no one mentioned salsa ever in this thread until you 2 minutes ago

you would never in a million years step into any audition and hear the word salsa mentioned.....ever...never

I recommend you go back under the rock from which you came before you make yourself look more silly than you already have
Thanks for the advice, I'll take it into consideration.

ludwigkid

Alright thanks guys. I feel I have a descent amount of those rhythms/grooves to be able to present them functionally. Thanks again for the advice.