I need some advice!~

uniin

Gold Member
I feel as if i'm drowning myself in too many cover bands... I currently play in a RHCP tribute, Nirvana tribute and Coldplay tribute, as well as an originals band.... and i've just agree'd to start doing a wedding band AND a top40's band... tonight i am finding myself learning 36 songs for the wedding band, for a rehearsal tomorrow (and instead of learning i'm procrastinating here! ha.) then gig on saturday....

Do you guys think i am playing way too many covers? i find myself so tired amongst a full time job (physical labor), students, a weekend job (at a music store) all these gigs and rehearsals... i'd love to drop it all and go travel europe for 6~12 months..

also im 20 years old... straight after highschool i went and studied music straight after my advanced diploma i was working... never taken a gap year.

Last edited:
Wow, that's some work load! I'm wondering why you agreed to take on these extra gigs on top of the stuff you're already doing? That aside, be careful that your joy doesn't become a chore. It's great to get work in, but not to the point at which you risk loosing your love for music. That certainly contributed to my exit from playing many years ago.

On the flip side, major props to you. Great to see a young guy out there with such a work ethic. Impressive :)

Do you guys think i am playing way too many covers?

Only you know that. But the fact that you've felt the need to question it speaks volumes.

If you need a break, take one....better some time off than to let it get to the point where you get so bummed out that it effects your enjoyment of it all. Can't hurt to strip back some commitments and reconsider your direction.

I feel as if i'm drowning myself in too many cover bands... I currently play in a RHCP tribute, Nirvana tribute and Coldplay tribute, as well as an originals band.... and i've just agree'd to start doing a wedding band AND a top40's band... tonight i am finding myself learning 36 songs for the wedding band, for a rehearsal tomorrow (and instead of learning i'm procrastinating here! ha.) then gig on saturday....

Do you guys think i am playing way too many covers? i find myself so tired amongst a full time job (physical labor), students, a weekend job (at a music store) all these gigs and rehearsals... i'd love to drop it all and go travel europe for 6~12 months..

also im 20 years old... straight after highschool i went and studied music straight after my advanced diploma i was working... never taken a gap year.

You lucky lucky sod!!!!! I wish i had that much work coming my way. That said if you think it is too much(and i've been there) drop the cover band you feel the least affinity for.

I certainly could not do that and remain happy.

A tip of the hat to the drummers who can stomach playing covers!

If you decide to persevere it will get easier since you will already have a knowledge of how
to play very many popular songs. It's ok to push yourself hard, especially in your 20's and
30's to get things really happening for you....just don't allow it to overload you. It's a delicate
balance. Make a plan so things don't overwhelm you..that's the main thing. If you need to cut back by all means do it.

I might mention that the idea of taking a gap year doesn't apply to all of us....it depends on the world when you were born. For me it
was graduate high school and then you had to do one of these 1. go in the armed forces 2. leave the country 3. go to jail 4. go to college and
stay there until the war ended. Once you had finished any one of those the idea of a gap year...well, it was something no one had even heard of back
then. Consider yourself very fortunate!

Last edited:
Back