I need informations and help

vinneyboy

I everyone!

Im a new drummer, makes bout 2 or 3 months I got my first drum and you know we took a B8 pack and i dont like the sound it makes.. but i guess its normal since these are basics cymbals.. Anyway! i just wanted to know what symbals should I buy like that has a good sound but aren't too expensive.. and if you had some sites or blogs/forums were I could find that kind of infos..

thx 4 helpin me

Vinney

Well, this forum is a pretty good place to ask...

...but that's a pretty open question! What sort of music do you play? What sounds do you like?

Cymbals are very personal, subjective thing. I may like a certain cymbal, and you may not. I really like Sabian cymbals. Sabian's XS 20 cymbals are a good value. I like some B9Pro cymbals,but you may not. I suggest you go to a store that has many cymbals and play a few. Ask first though. Good luck.

we took a B8 pack and i dont like the sound it makes..

Great stuff......you're narrowing it down. Now you know what you DON'T like the sound of, it's time to wander into a drum store, grab a stick, hit everythying they have, listen closely and then start figuring out what you DO like the sound of. Your ear will tell you mate, you've just gotta put in the leg work.

Good luck.

Weell, after posting that message i just discovered the section about cymbals in drum gear x) big thanks to secrets by the way! What I don't like specially with my B8 crash is that its kind of impossible to have a nice soft sound. I think I've read that B8 were more for a metal sound is it possible? im note quite sure if i understood correctly.. So I'd like to have a crash that even if you dont pound on it you can have a beautifull soft sound..

thx a lot for your help its really appreciated!

vinney

In not convinced that "B8 is rubbish" as a blanket statement. Paiste's, much favoured 2002 range are made from B8. They're great sounding cymbals and have been played by many famous and not-so-famous drummers for years, with excellent results.

It never gets mentioned as a contributing factor to poor sound quality (due to the fact that "B8" has widely become the 'whipping boy' and cops the entire blame for attributing to the less than desireable sound of entry line cymbals), but I'd consider the fact that most budget cymbals are made out of sheet bronze, as opposed to cast bronze and the fact that they simply do not put in the same amount of time hammering, lathing or using any of the other techniques that go into making pro level cymbals. Hence they lack the tonality, playability and subtleties of the more expensive options.

Any cymbalsmiths out there that care to wade in on this? Is B8 really the root of all evil....or is it simply that fact that budget lines are what they are.....and that's what seperates them from top of the line?

Go the Drum Gear section and look under the Cymbals Section and you will find many ideas.

Any cymbalsmiths out there that care to wade in on this? Is B8 really the root of all evil....or is it simply that fact that budget lines are what they are.....and that's what seperates them from top of the line?

I think it's just simply because they are budget lines is why most people consider them "the root of all evil". I started out on B8's and hated them. Not because they were B8's but because i discoverd pro cymbals and basically a better sound. If i were to buy B8 alloy cymbals again they would be Paiste. They just have a way with the B8 alloy that other cymbal companies just can't match.

I everyone!

Im a new drummer, makes bout 2 or 3 months I got my first drum and you know we took a B8 pack and i dont like the sound it makes.. but i guess its normal since these are basics cymbals.. Anyway! i just wanted to know what symbals should I buy like that has a good sound but aren't too expensive.. and if you had some sites or blogs/forums were I could find that kind of infos..

thx 4 helpin me

Vinney

Vinney..go to mycymbal.com.You can listen to hundreds of digital recordings of cymbals.Then buy used when you have it narrowed down.Used A Zildjian,Sabian,and Paiste..the list goes on and can be had on the cheap.Good luck.

Steve B

Back