i need ideas for a quicker load in/out

no talent

Hey guys, for a small venue we frequently play, i have downsized to a bass and snare, one cymbal stand with an 18 crash ride and an x-hat attachment. the problem is, it took me 3 trips to load in basically nothing. I have a cymbal bag, a throne bag, a snare bag, pedal/stick bag, snare stand, cymbal stand, and the bass drum..any ideas how to make this work with less trips? the bass is only a 12x18. a cart, which i own is out of the question, stairs at every entrance and a tight walk to the band area. for the life of me i cant figure out what im doing wrong to make this many trips for so little gear.

caddywumpus

Platinum Member
Consolidate your bags. Somehow, I manage to carry my 4 piece kit in one trip nowadays. :)

Here's what I would do, if I were you:

All hardware in ONE bag/case: snare stand, cymbal stand, high hat stand, pedal, throne. Either get a larger suitcase or a duffel bag that can carry ALL of them. Carry this in one hand, or over one shoulder.

Bags for your bass drum and snare drum: so you can carry them both in the other hand.

Cymbal backpack bag: also, put your sticks/brushes in there.

opentune

Platinum Member
1 cymbal bag with backpack like straps
or 1 snare bag with backpack like straps
all hardware (throne too) downsized to fit in one duffle bag that goes over the shoulder.

So ....2 free hands for bass drum, with cymbals or snare on your back, and hardware bag over shoulder.
Max 2 trips, possiblly only 1 if you're the strong guy you appear to be.

Mongrel

Silver Member
Consolidate your bags. Somehow, I manage to carry my 4 piece kit in one trip nowadays. :)

Here's what I would do, if I were you:

All hardware in ONE bag/case: snare stand, cymbal stand, high hat stand, pedal, throne. Either get a larger suitcase or a duffel bag that can carry ALL of them. Carry this in one hand, or over one shoulder.

Bags for your bass drum and snare drum: so you can carry them both in the other hand.

Cymbal backpack bag: also, put your sticks/brushes in there.
The Peanut Gallery respectfully asks for pics of this modern miracle of efficiency good sir!

Mongrel

Silver Member
1 cymbal bag with backpack like straps
or 1 snare bag with backpack like straps
all hardware (throne too) downsized to fit in one duffle bag that goes over the shoulder.

So ....2 free hands for bass drum, with cymbals or snare on your back, and hardware bag over shoulder.
Max 2 trips, possiblly only 1 if you're the strong guy you appear to be.
...you too... You're not getting out if this thread without pictures!

;)

bermuda

Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator
Staff member
Agreed with consolidating the stands into one bag. Cymbals, snare, kick and throne seat each get a bag, for a total of 5 bags.

You could probably do it in one trip, but some of the bags will probably stick out and knock something over. Two trips easily though.

Unfortunately, it's still a venue issue, not a question of your efficiency.

Bermuda

Dr_Watso

Platinum Member
It's far more important to make sure you're on and off the stage quickly than how many trips you take in and out to the car. You should be staging things off to the side both in and out of the venue so nobody is waiting while you bring all your stuff from the car set it up on stage and adjust it all. Do all that in the green room.

JSWhaler

I have found that hockey bags are great. They’re large and usually double if not triple stitched. I use one for all my gear (I sometimes stuff old shirts and towels between the gear to act as dividers) and wear it like a backpack. This frees up my hands to carry my drums and cymbal case. I usually take 2 trips for a 4 piece setup.

Mongrel

Silver Member
its at the bottom of his signature.
http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195

I have Zildjian 22" cymbal bag with backpack straps and a snare case with backpack straps, hockey bag for stands. these are pretty common I thought.
Whoa....wait a minute...he carries ALL that in ONE trip? Hardware, snare, bass drum, floor tom, rack tom...?

re: "backpacks"

Two backpacks....one back?

"Pretty common"...yep, just never seen someone with two on their back at the same time...lol...

Mongrel

Silver Member
Still trying to picture carrying an 18" bass drum and a snare drum in one hand, cymbals on my back, ALL my hardware and stick bag in the other hand up a flight of steps, down a hallway, through several doors to the staging area...

I mean, I understand the power of positive thinking but....am I the only one who feels it is just a little unrealistic?

KamaK

Platinum Member
Buy a ~$100 used poplar kit and leave it at the gig.

You now only have to carry cymbals and sticks.

Mongrel

Silver Member
Whitney Penguin kit. All 4 drums fit in one 16x16 floor tom bag and weigh about 28 lbs including the bag. You probably end up with less hardware than a regular kit too.
BASE PRICE: $2195.00

Lol...for that kind of money you could hire a sherpa to carry the kit for you...

ineedaclutch

Platinum Member
With my Ludwig Giglite the kick, rack, floor, and snare in a bag all go in a 22" bag. They are shallow drums so just Tetris then in there. Grab yourself a 20x18 bag to hold your kick, snare, and throne top. The bag that Bermuda recommended would suffice for the hardware you are hauling around and your stick bag.

williamsbclontz

Silver Member
The problem with hardware bags is that they get so heavy. I'm not gonna sit here and complain, but after I do a 3 hour gig I don't feel like toting around a heavy bag of metal stands down some stairs. I have Yamaha stands, do they have lightweight versions of these?

KamaK

Platinum Member
The problem with hardware bags is that they get so heavy. I'm not gonna sit here and complain, but after I do a 3 hour gig I don't feel like toting around a heavy bag of metal stands down some stairs. I have Yamaha stands, do they have lightweight versions of these?
Yes. 600 and 700 series.

Morrisman

Platinum Member
Still trying to picture carrying an 18" bass drum and a snare drum in one hand, cymbals on my back, ALL my hardware and stick bag in the other hand up a flight of steps, down a hallway, through several doors to the staging area...

I mean, I understand the power of positive thinking but....am I the only one who feels it is just a little unrealistic?
I regularly carry an 18" BD and two toms in one hand - in bags with straps. Cymbals on my back, hardware in a long bag.

Mongrel

Silver Member
I regularly carry an 18" BD and two toms in one hand - in bags with straps. Cymbals on my back, hardware in a long bag.
(no snare?)

Up stairs and through doorways? Or from the car to the front step?

"Carrying" it isn't the only problem in the op-it's carrying it AND navigating through several tight spots...

Just trying to keep it real...