I need help with my new Axis Longboard!

Jmack13

Hey there,
I just bought a new Axis classic black longboard double pedal. I have played an Iron Cobra for all my years of drumming up till now. Does anyone on here know how to adjust the footboard and the beater angle on one of these pedals? It is absolutely driving me crazy. I am used to the Iron cobra where you can independently adjust the beater and the footboard angle. Is that even possible on one of these? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Mikey Dangerous

I'm confident that this is possible cuz these pedals are super adjustable. I have the exact same pedals as you, but unfortunately I don't have them here at my home (I keep them with my kit at my friends place since that's where we jam).
If I remember correctly, I think I used the connecting rod to adjust the footboard and beater angle for the slave pedal. Because the rod is round you can set it exactly as you like. I know there is a way to do the same for the main pedal, but I can't think of it right now.

Before you tinker with any screws that you shouldn't adjust (and yes, there are a few that you should NEVER adjust), consult the instructions. I do remember seeing these directions in there. I think the instructions are also available online in PDF format if you don't have the paper instructions that came with the pedals.

Sorry I couldn't be more specific as I know this type of thing can be frustrating, but I hope it helps anyway.

- MD

theindian

The footboard & beater angle cannot be adjusted separately from each other. Meaning that if you lower the footboard, the beater moves closer to the head & vice versa.

To move it simply loosen the allen screws on both sides of the spring assembly, on top of where the spring connects to the main shaft, set the angle & tighten. If you can't find a spot thats comfortable for both beater & pedal angle, then set the beater angle & get some heel or toe spacers. They are basically washers that fit under the heel block or piece where the board connects to the direct drive linkage. Or you can flip it around like this http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48291&highlight=axis

There are copies of the directions on the Axis website & a good video by Bosticman on the Roddy forums.

stabmasterarson

yeah, heel/toe spacers are your best bet. There's lots of ways to do this without even buying them. You could make them out of 1/8" plate, use extra washers with longer capscrews, etc.

I would give the pedals time though, I have axis a longboards and it took me a couple of months to get the hang of them, I set the beaters about 4 inches from the head and my playing got a lot faster and more controlled even though the angle on the footboards was different than what I was used to with my elims

0127frey

Axis Longboard Understanding

I bought my Axis Longboards S/Hand some months ago,i decided to change the "Heel Block",But between the Heel Block and the Foot Board there where two Nuts but they where only used as spacers,Should they be there for some reason,Obviously they change the angle of the foot plate angle at the heel,i'm puzzled about if they are needed or not ?.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
Hey there,
I just bought a new Axis classic black longboard double pedal. I have played an Iron Cobra for all my years of drumming up till now. Does anyone on here know how to adjust the footboard and the beater angle on one of these pedals? It is absolutely driving me crazy. I am used to the Iron cobra where you can independently adjust the beater and the footboard angle. Is that even possible on one of these? Thanks for any help you can give me.

Read my AXIS pedal thread before you go jacking screws around on your new long board.

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36636&highlight=Ais+edal+revealed

I ditched my AXIS rig after more than 10 years of devotional playing. Had everything, the stainless beater shafts, square and round UDS', foot board spacers etc. etc.

Went back to IC's because their foot board angle and beater angle are independently adjustable, and there's an IC on every street corner (rental kits).

The AXIS design does NOT allow for independent foot board angle adjustment... not easily and not satisfactorly anyway.

Last edited:

bud7h4

Silver Member
I ditched my AXIS rig after more than 10 years of devotional playing. Had everything, the stainless beater shafts, square and round UDS', foot board spacers etc. etc.

Went back to IC's because they're foot board angle and beater angle are independently adjustable, and there's an IC on every street corner (rental kits).

The AXIS design does NOT allow for independent foot board angle adjustment... not easily and not satisfactorly anyway.
Is that something you do regularly? Adjust beater angles? I used to do that with my IC just to experiment. But I found Axis' factory settings to be just right, with some spring adjustments.

Any changes I might make to the beater angle would be so minor that it would not even noticeably affect the foot board height. If you're adjusting Axis beaters more than about 5 degrees in either direction, they might not be the pedal for you in the first place. What I mean is anything outside of 35 to 55 degrees is so radical (for these pedals) that maybe a different pedal is in order.

I'm not disagreeing with you that the adjustments leave much to be desired. They're definitely not the pedal for settings enthusiasts. I just think what makes Axis so remarkable is how they feel right out of the box. And while beater angle does have its restrictions, the pedal's feel is actually extremely customizable.

Les Ismore

Platinum Member
Is that something you do regularly? Adjust beater angles? I used to do that with my IC just to experiment. But I found Axis' factory settings to be just right, with some spring adjustments.

Any changes I might make to the beater angle would be so minor that it would not even noticeably affect the foot board height. If you're adjusting Axis beaters more than about 5 degrees in either direction, they might not be the pedal for you in the first place. What I mean is anything outside of 35 to 55 degrees is so radical (for these pedals) that maybe a different pedal is in order.

I'm not disagreeing with you that the adjustments leave much to be desired. They're definitely not the pedal for settings enthusiasts. I just think what makes Axis so remarkable is how they feel right out of the box. And while beater angle does have its restrictions, the pedal's feel is actually extremely customizable.

You're preaching to the choir. I know what an AXIS can do, and I've made them do things they're not supposed to.

Some people aren't into long term consistency, they like to change things up, try new stuff. Beater angle one of those things, me one of those people. I've gone from beater face 3" to the head to 90 degrees, and everything in-between.

Everyone agrees a $1000 pedal set should have excellent independent beater angle adjustment. Not only are AXI limited in their adjustments, but they're a pain to adjust, you can easily hurt yourself adjusting an AXIS pedal.

Feel? Pfffffft! Too subjective. I got to a point of playing AXIS pedals where I deemed them too stiff, to robotic, not organic feeling enough to be comfortable, they became irritating. They are bullet proof, tho after more than 10 years straight with them I gladly switched.

sticksnstonesrus

Silver Member
You're preaching to the choir. I know what an AXIS can do, and I've made them do things they're not supposed to.

Some people aren't into long term consistency, they like to change things up, try new stuff. Beater angle one of those things, me one of those people. I've gone from beater face 3" to the head to 90 degrees, and everything in-between.

Everyone agrees a $1000 pedal set should have excellent independent beater angle adjustment. Not only are AXI limited in their adjustments, but they're a pain to adjust, you can easily hurt yourself adjusting an AXIS pedal.

Feel? Pfffffft! Too subjective. I got to a point of playing AXIS pedals where I deemed them too stiff, to robotic, not organic feeling enough to be comfortable, they became irritating. They are bullet proof, tho after more than 10 years straight with them I gladly switched.
I played an AL-2CB for somewhere around 10+ years myself and couldn't agree more. It's the bulldog breed of pedals. You're either a fit for them or not. Just not a tremendous degree of adjustability compared to some of the pedals on the market today. Found myself more teaching myself to get used to a middle-ground more than finding the adjustment that sweet-spotted the pedal. The most I did with mine was try to balance spring rates and replaced the awful OEM beaters. I just kept the footboard height in the middle as the any change to that front setscrew at the beater post base would also adjust the beater throw and footboard feel.

MDD, MCD, IC - far superior (sorry, not a DW #,000 fan). Personally, I don't like to make changes unless it completely calls for a change. Kinda like golf clubs...just easier to use what you know unless you're prepared to take on the reconditioning process to a new pedal.

ricohorton

On Axis pedals you have to adjust the beater and footboard angle via the spring rocker use key tool. from there on you simply adjust the feel via the VDL with key tool. Adjusting the VDL raises and lowers the foot board angle as well depending where you set the VDL.