I need help for a song selection for an entrance exam!

muszogo

Hey Everybody,

I'd like to play a song for an entrance exam with my band, which has to include a drum solo. The band consists of guitar, bass, keyboard, and a 3 piece horn section. I am looking for an instrumental song mostly in the funk or fusion genre, but I welcome other suggestions as well. My concept would that the band plays a back arrange and I would be soloing in the gaps/holes.
Do you have any suggestions regarding which song to choose for this purpose? But if you have any other ideas I'd be grateful to hear them.
Another idea I came upon is to play over a backing track. Do you know any websites, that I can download/buy such backing tracks.?

Cheers,
Pisti

Last edited:

muszogo

No, I'm already in this band, and I have to record a song with them in order to get in a music academy. Thanks for your help!

tcspears

Gold Member
It sounds like you already have a band; if so do they already know any funk songs that would work? Why reinvent the wheel... Why not play one of the songs that your band is familiar with and just add a chorus of drum solo?

muszogo

That's exactly the problem, that we don't have such a song, which would work well in a situation like this.

NVIC

"Make Me Smile", Chicago? Or is that too old/lame/pop? A great song is never gets old in my opinion :)

drum4fun27302

Gold Member
Play a song you are familiar with then add a section for your drum solo with an ostinato: piano, bass, and horn section guys playing percussion (cowbell and such).
It's way easier because they carry the beat snd you play over it instead of you all along soloing and carrying the beat.

http://youtu.be/58Y-5eo_H2E

Something like that around 2:10.

Make it a drum solo with space (instead of poncho sanchez on the congas!!)

Last edited: