I need a stick bag...suggestions, please?

wraub

Gold Member
Hi... I'm relatively new to drumming, and in gradually acquiring my drum set I have also acquired a few pairs of sticks along the way... However, I have yet to find a bag with which to carry them.

I currently have 4 pairs of sticks, a set of rods, and a set of brushes... Will likely add mallets soon. Budget is, ideally, $50 or less. More may be available for the right item. ;) Bonus points for USA made.

Please help me spend my money. :D

Thanks. :)

Last edited:
Go to your local shop and see what they have. All the designs are about the same, you just have to find one you like. I myself have a Reunion Blues all-leather stick bag that I paid $100 for about 30 years ago now. That and their 22" leather cymbal bag were the best investments I ever made. I still use them today.

Levy "CM9" black canvas bag is big with lots of pockets and a great zipper. Mine has lasted 14 yrs, but I'm not a gigging drummer. Here is a used one:

Tackle waxed canvas stick rollup - lots of pockets, leather cords, no zipper, rollup accommodates small to large loads of sticks:

Ludwig Classic stick bag - compact for drumset gigs, great colors:

Levy "CM9" black canvas bag is big with lots of pockets and a great zipper. Mine has lasted 14 yrs, but I'm not a gigging drummer. Here is a used one:

Tackle waxed canvas stick rollup - lots of pockets, leather cords, no zipper, rollup accommodates small to large loads of sticks:

Ludwig Classic stick bag - compact for drumset gigs, great colors:

I have the Ludwig bag. It is nice. I however just replaced it with a nice new Innovative Percussion bag. Steve Weiss has this for under 50.

I just found Levy's website where you can buy the CM9 directly. I think $29.99 is a pretty good price, considering the Tackle stick roll is $59:

Levy's is awesome, and they make great guitar accessories, too. I loved it when the Levy's rep came to the music store where I used to work.

Don't get one with any kind of fake wool material on the inside. It gets caught in the chipped side of your sticks. My buddy has the Ludwig atlas red one and the interior is wool, terrible design flaw.

Do you want a large one that will hold a lot and you carry separately or do you want a smaller one that holds the basics and fits inside your hardware or cymbal bag? A lot will depend on how you use it carry it.

For a compact one that's no frills but still works and looks good, go for the Zildjian Basic Bag that has the Zildjian Logo embroidered in Gold. $20, or in some instances, cheaper. Fits easily in a hardware or cymbal bag

For a larger one that you carry separately, check out the Meinl Designer Bag or the Levy's as mentioned. The Meinl is also $20 and holds A LOT, just not as compact as the Zildjian above.

How much do you want to carry and do you want it to hold other things as well?

Great questions, thanks!

What I really need is a thing that holds sticks close by, probably hanging on the floor tom. It needs to move between two kits, in two rooms. I play at home (especially now), and not even thinking about gigging for a long while.

I currently have about a half-dozen pair of sticks, plus rods and brushes. Will likely add mallets at some point, and more rods... So, lets say a dozen pair, mixed. Probably won't hold more than the sticks and a drum key or two.

I'd like something with some build quality and prefer to avoid cheap nylon and plastic and the shiny and gaudy qualities I have seen on a few.

Many thanks to all for the links above. Much appreciated.

Do you want a large one that will hold a lot and you carry separately or do you want a smaller one that holds the basics and fits inside your hardware or cymbal bag? A lot will depend on how you use it carry it.

For a compact one that's no frills but still works and looks good, go for the Zildjian Basic Bag that has the Zildjian Logo embroidered in Gold. $20, or in some instances, cheaper. Fits easily in a hardware or cymbal bag

For a larger one that you carry separately, check out the Meinl Designer Bag or the Levy's as mentioned. The Meinl is also $20 and holds A LOT, just not as compact as the Zildjian above.

How much do you want to carry and do you want it to hold other things as well?

Last edited:
Check local resale shops. Sometimes they have cases, or a purse that is the right shape. Might cost USA $ 0.50.

The only one that I can think of that sits on the floor and in your price range is the Sabian flip stick bag. I've been using one for awhile now and it does what I need. The downside is that it can only hold 10 sticks total.

There are other stick bags that sit on the floor that hold more sticks, but they are more expensive.

I got a promark bag free using my Evans players points and I really like it. It's not super fancy and I don't usually carry more then 2-3 pairs and 1 set of brushes but it has capacity for easily 4-5 pairs on each side plus a set of brushes and mallets in addition to a few smaller pockets for felts, drum key, lighter, etc. You can fit a decent amount in most 'cheap' bags

Vic firth and DW have good stick bags. I'd go for the Ahead Deluxe Stick Bag for its many pockets! I like to have a lot of stuff in my stick bag besides sticks. So this will do!

I won't claim it's the best- that term is relative, anyway- but I bought this LP bag in 1993 and the doggone thing is indestructible. I'm still currently using it.

1587201428355.png

Stick bags on the floor tom: It's funny, we make all this effort to suspend toms or get just the right legs to enhance resonance and then hang a stick bag against the floor tom reducing resonance.
Depending on the stage, sometimes I have to remove the stick bag from the floor tom because it completely kills it. Other places like at home it doesn't make much difference.

Back