I need a short cymbal stand...

wraub

or similar. I want to use one of these to hold a tom, but all of my current stands are too tall. Any suggestions?
1602349011943.png
Thanks!

wraub

Had considered this, but was unsure re: fit. The tube on the Yamaha piece is too large to go into my cymbal stands that are short enough...

Snare stand.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Two suggestions:

1. Multiclamp, I dont think an explanation is necessary.

2. Tube cutter. You can shorten any stand with one of these. It wont crush like a pinch cutter (scissors, snips, etc.), and wont be crooked like a hacksaw. You have to remove the roll pin and collar before cutting. The roll pin pushes out, the collar is pressed on. Reassembly is reverse of disassembly.

20201010_122646.jpg

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Had considered this, but was unsure re: fit. The tube on the Yamaha piece is too large to go into my cymbal stands that are short enough...
I think he means put the tom in a snare basket, a la John Bonham.

harryconway

Platinum Member
Either looks ideal, actually.
Well ..... they're both Yamaha 700 series stands. The snare stand bottom gets the hex arm about 17 inches off the deck. The cymbal stand bottom gets the hex arm about 25 inches off the deck. More typically .... I use an aux. clamp.

Attachments

• 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    179 KB · Views: 7

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
I meant to use the tripod section of a snare stand. Pearl snare stands usually have a 7/8” tube, same size as a Yamaha tom holder. Yamaha snare stands might fit too but I can’t test it.
I see. Usually use a snare stand implies as a basket. But hey if it works, that's great too.

wraub

The cymbal stand looks perfect, really. I already have the Yamaha piece in use with a tom in a Dixon cymbal stand... It's my only Dixon stand, of course, and it works perfectly for my needs. Now that I need a second, I think I'll just look for a Yamaha 700 stand.

Thanks. :)

Well ..... they're both Yamaha 700 series stands. The snare stand bottom gets the hex arm about 17 inches off the deck. The cymbal stand bottom gets the hex arm about 25 inches off the deck. More typically .... I use an aux. clamp.

Last edited:

wraub

Of these, the clamp is the better option for me, as I'd like to retain the functionality of the stand if I want to switch back someday.

Two suggestions:

1. Multiclamp, I dont think an explanation is necessary.

2. Tube cutter. You can shorten any stand with one of these. It wont crush like a pinch cutter (scissors, snips, etc.), and wont be crooked like a hacksaw. You have to remove the roll pin and collar before cutting. The roll pin pushes out, the collar is pressed on. Reassembly is reverse of disassembly.

View attachment 96702

wraub

harryconway

Platinum Member
Now that I need a second, I think I'll just look for a Yamaha 700 stand now.
I'm a big fan of Yamaha hardware. Pretty much all my stands are 600 and 700 series single braced stands.

wraub

Just went out to GC, returned some items from my recent visit there (bass strings) and got a Yamaha stand, a CS-755. I think it should suit my needs quite well. Again, I am impressed with Yamaha hardware, it's clearly been well designed and thought out, and it's incredibly solid.

...now, to fully revamp my kit. :D

wraub

Thanks to the above-mentioned stand, I now have all of my drums set up... 10,12,13,16,20, with a 10" side snare.
Moved some stands about to reconfigure it all. Still a bit spread out, I may tighten it up some, but I am not displeased.

I think I have my drum set. :D

Last edited: