I need a real judgment on how I play ... ( And advices )

egbt4

Hi everyone .
First of all, sorry for my BAD english ...

So I've been drumming for over 4 years, I'm taking lessons for the last 3 years ( so I was kind of self-taught during one year )
My teacher taught me how to read music, and just the basic technique ( Single and double roll an parradiddle )
So since I could read music, I bought a lot of books and learn plenty of things by myself ...

But here's is the thing : I have NO ONE around me to tell me how I play .

Good ? Bad ? What should I Work on ? Are my ghost notes nice ?
I don't know any drummer in my neighborhood that could answer those question .

I seems to me that there are A LOT of excellent drummers here on this forum ...
I'll take any advice or critique ( of course if they seem ... right . )

Here is a example of what i like to do, this is entirely in 4/4 ( Their are " some " displacement, thank you Rythmic Illusion ... ) and the metronome I'm hearing is set at 65 Bpm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU1L...xt=C39c9fc2UDOEgsToPDskLUaFFDOYsmMOyH91mcmQfy

Thank you in advance everyone and keep drumming alive !

MarbleGT

I think it sounds good...you're definitely on the right track.

My only advice would be to simply things a bit. It seems like maybe you are trying to do to much.

Get into the groove brutha.

JohnW

Silver Member
Sounds and looks really good to me. It flows really nicely and is a lot more interesting than some solos I've heard.

Just keep doing what you're doing. I don't have a lot to add except to maybe:

-Try keeping the same intensity while playing half your overall volume. Or even less. Then try to pull out accents even higher.

-Most of your hand work seems to be right hand strong. While it works well with most of the open linear phrases, I detect a slight imbalance when you play rolls (double, multiple rebound or buzz) or fast singles. Just more rudimental/Stick Control work to bring your left hand up.

-I can't see your feet but your bass drum work sounds good. (Double bass, no hi-hat foot?). Anyway, there are plenty of people on this site who have much more expertise than me who can comment on that subject.

-Do you practice to a melody or just a metronome? If you're just practicing to a metronome, sing a vamp melody in your head or aloud. You can still do the same cool rhythmic displacement stuff you do but it adds so much more when it's in a melodic context. It also gives you a kind of home base or mother ship to go back to if your improvisation gets too out there and you can't find your way back!

Again, these are just nit picky points. I enjoyed your playing.

-John

Sera

Hi everyone .
First of all, sorry for my BAD english ...

So I've been drumming for over 4 years, I'm taking lessons for the last 3 years ( so I was kind of self-taught during one year )
My teacher taught me how to read music, and just the basic technique ( Single and double roll an parradiddle )
So since I could read music, I bought a lot of books and learn plenty of things by myself ...

But here's is the thing : I have NO ONE around me to tell me how I play .

Good ? Bad ? What should I Work on ? Are my ghost notes nice ?
I don't know any drummer in my neighborhood that could answer those question .

I seems to me that there are A LOT of excellent drummers here on this forum ...
I'll take any advice or critique ( of course if they seem ... right . )

Here is a example of what i like to do, this is entirely in 4/4 ( Their are " some " displacement, thank you Rythmic Illusion ... ) and the metronome I'm hearing is set at 65 Bpm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kU1L...xt=C39c9fc2UDOEgsToPDskLUaFFDOYsmMOyH91mcmQfy

Thank you in advance everyone and keep drumming alive !

That was pretty good playing, indeed. It's so great, that it surely will make somebody feel envy. I feel little envy about your left hand, even somebody has said that I have unbelievable snare hand. Amateur comments, I can tell.

I even watched the whole video, because it was not just that same clacking that most videos usually are - fast messing around everywhere, but usually pretty pointless and irritating. Something that too many does these days when they have learned something about it.

You got nice structures when you play, and if you have played only four years and you are now at that point, I think you are very good, very fast learner, but there are still a very large (huge, to be honest) unexplored world in your mind and your body.

Advice? Start all over again, back to the real basics, but do it absolutely mirrored. Or open handed. I have done those things several times in my years behind the kit,.and I started with righthanded set, now I play openhanded ambiset.

Get double pedals, and learn to hit every note alternating feets. Use vowels E and I in your mind to guidance feets, and finally you can sing those vocals in your mind and your foot will do what you think. Use vowels A and O with hands. Also forget R and L in the future when you practise, those just slow learning process and even also very bad habits teaches to you in the end of "evolution of thinking"-process "DuDaDuDaDaDaa" or/and "TrrrPrrr OOO AAA TrrrPrrr ATan Katsupadutsakaa"-styles to think (and many different variations), still vowals are never changeable assembler, just manipulate them with your inner timer.

So - pick a song, sing vowels in your mind (or say them loud) and play. Or just surf in the Wave Of Creation, without anything important thoughts in your mind whatsoever.

I have 118 tabs, which I call my "Back To The Basic"-patterns. I have played them right- and lefthanded, and right- and leftfooted. When you have done that, you are one of the best in this world. Maybe your sense of harmony won't grow as much as your motorical abilities, but that is another issue.

Take my word on in, even it's just a word of a madman.

Your "Prrr" works, "Trrr" is still missing, and somebody please correct me, if I'm wrong. My "Prrr" is pretty reliable, "Trrr" is weaker, but not much. Leading with weaker side is not a problem, "Trrr" still is. Cannot yeat trust it, when really playing.

Last edited:

onemic

Been drumming for 3 years(a year self taught like you) and my doubles/paradidles are nowhere near that speed and accuracy. I'm damn envious right now.

Sera

Since many have been read this topic regulary, even it has been dropped out from page one, I add this picture where is one of the basic frames of my thinking behind drumming.

I can do about half of those patterns totally symmetrical, and change time keeping hand when repeating patterns, but I only master first three ones, with some basic paradiddle added end of every pattern.

EGBT4, you clearly have the talent, but do you have will and believe in for you owns skills, that is also another issue. You asked for honest opinion, you got it. And even it clearly was not something you probably expected, I think it is little rude not to say even thanks or something. Ok, honestly, I'm pretty used to it.

You could say you teacher, that I would like to talk with him. I have feeling that he is great, and I'm looking for a great teacher. Send my regard to him.

Attachments

• DSCN3197.JPG
    DSCN3197.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 1,786

Sera

I continue my monoloque with one little add-on:

Take all your books about drumming, and there where you see "R", paint it black and write "O" under it, and there where you see "L", paint it black and write "A" under it.

If you are from Finland, you have one letter right in all your books, "O" like "oikea", so your work will be much easier, when you just have to paint those "V" (as "vasen") letters and write "A" under it.

Then you just have to start all over again to re-arrenge your brains.

It's just question of fate.

I started drumming at age 35, now I'm 43, and I have done those modifications to my practicebooks, and now, after seven years of self-learning, I'm pretty much full ambidextro, knowing my mental and physical limits, borders in my mind and flesh, because my way of thinking has given me direct "commands" almost from the beginning to all of my limbs, including both legs (vowels "E" and "I") so I could "call" them with direct and clear command.

I played two first years with "R, L, O, V"-combinations and then I discovered this vowel based thinking, and made that "mental map" which I never will learn to end in my life, not that way I think those should be learned to achieve one Dan. I have only third in my own system, and last is still pretty unrealiable in real life, but I haven't practised that map much after I push that third through. No motivation in that matter anymore.

I have not much words to write about this issue, writing english gives me headache, but I hope my videos spoke little more - if not today, maybe someday.

And if not, so what.

Arky

Platinum Member
Sera,
that's an interesting tab system. Where do you have it from? Is it your own adaptation of some Stick Control exercises?

Sera

Sera,
that's an interesting tab system. Where do you have it from? Is it your own adaptation of some Stick Control exercises?

I made it with Corel Draw 7, and a local advertising agency printed it.

Practises are taken from Internet. I found those patterns maybe year before I added vowels in it

It's a lifetime task to push it through all the way, that way as it is planned in my mind.

Pattern + basic paradiddle (I use mostly just "OAOO AOAA" and vice versa), change of leading hand in fly and same thing again, and so on - constantly repeating. When edges are pretty much gone with some pattern (no matter where you start, but I started at first), there is first Dan in this mental and physical system.

Because whole thing possible takes a lifetime to master, that is the reason I call those patterns as "Dans".

Sera

I think I have said most of what want to say about this issue. I know all of this what I have said, is quite revolutionary thinking in this world, and it touches a very deep bases of whole drum teaching worldwide.

I also think that this point has been understood in this forum, and I glad that this place has been very much ego-free, compared to some other forums in world. I think ego is just a obstacle of development, and because I'm little schizophrenic my ego is quite small. And because I'm mad and I even have papers about it, I think I have invented something new and I can play drums. Little funny when you think it, isn't it?

And finally I think that most of words has also been used, and I have headache again about saying them, I'm like to end my monologue about this vowel-matter. Questions will be answered of course, but slowly, depending on headache.

These three videos are somesort results of my five years expedition with my vowel-based thinking, and every fill are thinked in mind as different and different timed vowel-combinations when they appear in world. First two years I practise "traditional" ways.

First one is called "ZEN", it's just free floating in Wave Of Creation, inspired by relaxation music. It's actually 56 minutes long, but I dropped a stick in 46 minutes, and I was unable to fix situation, because this moment I have only two drilled sticks, so it's very much end of playing, when I drop one. Must drill few more, because difference between sticks are so big that anxiety rised immediately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t27UUpRM5Pw

Second is "Merlin". It's pretty much same sfuff as "ZEN, messing around and surfing in Wave, but it's 1 hour 5 minutes long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIUEi2a-qB0

Last one is one of those songs I love, and it belongs to those songs where I return again and again, regulary basis. Usually I play one random song only 1- 3 times, and there will never be second first time. And in there it hides - my main "target" in this beloved hobby.

Will there ever be that harmonic moment in this world - little moment in time - when everything will be so much perfect it could be? In a first time with an unfamiliar song and driving musical rallysprint in time and space. Maybe not, and that keeps it so fresh. Those thousands of ways to travel in that musical highway (to hell).

E-Type - Set A World On Fire:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FiDMk7dm50Q

Harmony, chaos, overplaying, underplaying, time and errors in it. Wave. Some other stuff.

Ambidexterity and symmetry. Few hundred litres of sweat, little blood and vomit.

I think I reach quite far in seven years, as a selflearned, but I only find much larger rhytmical area, and most parts stays totally untouchable in my lifetime.

Few adds:

This one is my first video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAZoSrQgS5U

And then there are 400 other videos of different songs, with lot of big and small mistakes, many first time played songs, huge amount of overplaying (I have tendencies to do that) and many kind of experimenting in time.

Last edited:

Sera

Greetings to all.

Sorry to bother, buf few ugdrages when years go by and I'm getting older.

Technique got a name in Finland few years ago, in forum called "Muusikoiden.net".

There was a little bit debate about several things with several professionals, but nothing big.

Technique is called "Neliraajamotoriikka-vokaalivastaavuus-mekaniikka". It has not any other names at this moment. Name describes how vowels moves different limbs.

I didn't invent name, that bright I'm not, but inventor of the name let me use that name without any payment. :)

Here is one of my new videos, improvised Adele.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vacI4c4VeJ8

Sounds are little better and closer my own sound.

Thanks to those who has helped me in this journey, and I hope that I have helped somebody too.

Last edited:

pgm554

Platinum Member
Well,somebody said simplify and I agree.

You're fills are pretty uneven and not on the beat.

You need to concentrate on where the one is, as you are either too late or too early when coming out of a fill.

In a word,work on your time keeping as that's a drummers primary task.

M

Matt Bo Eder

I can't see the video. YouTube says it's no longer available?

Sera

Well,somebody said simplify and I agree.

You're fills are pretty uneven and not on the beat.

You need to concentrate on where the one is, as you are either too late or too early when coming out of a fill.

In a word,work on your time keeping as that's a drummers primary task.

Thanks for your comment.

Actually I know all the time where the One is, and if I didn't know it all the time, I could not play improvisation like that. The One in the wave is a guideline and reference point, and if I got lost when messing in the borderline, (where all fun is) I get the grip again with some of my limb and so the story goes on. Practised songs are fully different area, and that playing style does not interest me, because I don't do this for a living.

I hope and believe you understand the consept of improvisation and how it is different to practised songs. I could also practise songs, but it is quite pooring, and feels like work.