I need a new ride...what yall think?

rstix

A fellow drummer on craigslist is selling a ton of nice cymbals, shells, snares, because he is going on a cruise gig for the next 3 - 9 years.

Anything great stuff here I should haggle on? Keep in mind this is Oklahoma so everyone haggles the shit outta everyone else

http://tulsa.craigslist.org/msg/3744102739.html

Also - I was interested in the ride cymbal - Right now I'm using a Sabian 21" AA dry ride and I FREAKIN HATE IT - This ride looks and sound nice (on internet though haven't heard in real life - but I will before I buy it obviously) but the guy told me you can't crash on it -

Thanks!

- Ricky Stix

drumkiller77

Jump on it man...i just bought an hh unlathed leapard ride and its just great,,for 180 its a good price for a great cymbal,,paid 300 for mine on sale...lol

Beam Me Up Scotty

Silver Member
Yeah, definitely get that cymbal. For 180$, you're practically stealing it. Of course, try it out first and see if you like it, but this is one hell of a deal.
As a sidenote, he mentions that Mike Portnoy uses this ride, when in fact he uses the HH Rock Ride. Just sayin... ;)

brady

Platinum Member
That's a pretty good deal. I would do it.

Also...jump on that Mapex Saturn snare. It will improve your playing overnight.

rstix

Awesome yeah the mapex snare he was telling me about sounds fantastic - together the ride and snare come to $305 so I'm offering him $250

Thanks guys!

wildbill

Platinum Member
Awesome yeah the mapex snare he was telling me about sounds fantastic - together the ride and snare come to $305 so I'm offering him $250

Thanks guys!

The HH is a good buy. The Saturn snare is an inside joke - try before you buy.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Yeah, I probably should have mentioned that. I assumed everyone here knew that though. :)

He's got 31 posts - I figured it was only right to clue him in.

I can't really say how the Saturn snare is. Don't remember ever having a go with one.

A

audiotech

The Sabian 21" Hand Hammered Raw Bell Dry ride is a great cymbal but being heavy it is a bit difficult, under normal circumstances, to crash on. If at all possible, you should try it out in person. I really like the ones that I have. I also have the HHX 21" Raw Bell Dry ride and at one time owned the AA 21" Raw Bell Dry ride. Because of their size and weight, they can be a bit pingy, but my examples are not overly so. Also the bells cut very well.

Dennis

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I agree with Dennis. All of the Raw Bell Dry rides are great cymbals (I've owned the HH and AA versions), but they're heavy, and don't give a good crash sound.

Very similar in sound but a little thinner is the Zildjian Rezo Ride. It has a clean stick sound, warm tone and a nice bell, but it opens up a little easier. I've seen them available on eBay pretty consistently for under $200 and I think one might suit your needs for a crashable ride better than the HH Raw Bell.

eamesuser

Silver Member
I spent a decent amount of time on a Phil Collins Sig ride,which was what the RBDR was modeled after, and I played a HH RBDR at a friends gig,and heard it out front.From behind the kit it was really dry and focused,I could hear almost no wash at all,from out front you heard a little wash.Good ride if you want something that cuts but is a little pretty sounding.
The bell on the Phil Collins was pretty good,on the HH RBDR the bell was very separated and had good clarity,but was not as big sounding as I would have thought.On the Collins ride if you went from a 5-B to a 7-A you would hear some increase in the wash to ping ratio.Neither one would roar or get away from you even if you wailed on it with a stick tip,neither crashed or smash rode well IMO,but I don't think most people would expect it to,it is a kind of specialized cymbal in my book.

rstix

Well ... I went to this guys house. I did not like the HH ride at all!! The first stroke on it I said no way. Just way too heavy- I'm used to playing on something like istanbuls that are thinner and crash able. Just goes to show try before you buy!!

On the other hand I am the owner of a mapex Saturn pro series - and an LP claw both for $130 not bad! I'm gunna pimp this snare now

CreeplyTuna

Silver Member
If you want it, go for it. You can always resell it for the same (or higher!) price if it turns out not to be your thing. My 2 cents.

wildbill

Platinum Member
Well ...

... I did not like the HH ride at all!! The first stroke on it I said no way. Just way too heavy- I'm used to playing on something like istanbuls that are thinner and crash able. Just goes to show try before you buy!!...

Yep - no one else can tell you what you're going to like. You've got to try them for yourself to see if it's a good fit.