I miss Pollyanna

Please, this thread is in support of Polly, not rehashing everyone's opinions or placing blame. If you enjoyed her, tell us why.

eddiehimself;646419 I thought that was pretty pathetic that he starts dissing on her for calling people by their username[/QUOTE said:
I hate being called by my username. Wait! Nevermind.
A little levity helps sometimes.

Poly, Bobdadruma want's you back! You are a friend to me. I always look forward to reading your posts and exchanging thoughts with you.

... Average. Considering his username, he sure does seem to think he's better than a lot of other people on here from what i'm reading.

I am the worst player on the boards. I was being kind to name myself Average. Good enough or would you like more? How about this - I can't even play drums. I walk into a room and the drums run away. More? Furthermore, everyone on here is smarter and better looking than me. Everyone has better teeth than me (including the British posters).

I thought that was pretty pathetic that he starts dissing on her for calling people by their username, i guess it makes some people feel uncomfortable like they're worried about having an emotional attachment to someone they are having a conversation with on the internet or w/e.

Never happened. I think you misread the exchange completely. I've never asked her (or any other posters) to leave and I was not referring to her specifically in any of my posts. If you read the thread, look at post #212. I don't know how I can say it more specifically than that.

It has been said, in this thread that someone should apologize. It won't be me. First, I wasn't talking about her. If I apologized to her, I would have to lie in the apology. Second, I didn't say anything about any specific posters, just specific behaviors that I have seen on drummerworld. Again, read the thread and you will see all of this posted. What I said about the specific behaviors was true and needed to be said. I won't take it back.

Last edited:
I didn't get deep enough into the threads as I usually only check out certain ones, but I was aware of Polly's absence and it made me wonder (Polly is also my sisters name).

I always enjoyed her input and it made visiting here a great pleasure as she had so many interesting and very valid viewpoints.

She was very reasurring to me when I was going through my doubts and I know I'm not the only one.

I sincerely hope she is taking a brief respite or holiday of some sort, and will be back as strong and creative as ever. I miss you too Polly - c'mon back soon now ya hear?

Fishnmusicn

i don't know at happened, but not posting on a forum because of one arguement, well it seems as though she is having a hissy fit really......if you love a forum, then you don't let the idiots bring you down, just stop looking where they are commenting!
but i do remember some of her posts, and they were good ones

( i fear that i may get a backlash from the whole hissy fit comment, but i stand by it!)

I am with you, mate.

Right on Ian, I do miss That Guy and Jon as well. Also, if you notice, Keep it Simple has bailed on us too, (not permanently I hope) another tragedy stemming from the same place. Polly is also one of the rare females here. To have a point of view that is not coming from a male is in itself valuable as hell. We're way top heavy on male opinions here, and need to treat our female members with a little extra respect, just as it is in "real life".

Come back, Polly. *snf*

I would like to add this. If Polly left because of any of you, and your buttheadedness, I hope that you are big enough to email or PM her and apologize.
Polly is one of the guys, but you have to always remember that she is a lady. You can't go bashing her around like you do your drinking buddies!

i don't know at happened, but not posting on a forum because of one arguement, well it seems as though she is having a hissy fit really......if you love a forum, then you don't let the idiots bring you down, just stop looking where they are commenting!
but i do remember some of her posts, and they were good ones

( i fear that i may get a backlash from the whole hissy fit comment, but i stand by it!)

No backlash fom me Bosphorus, but I will say, I'm not sure it can be veiwed that simplistically. For mine, there indeed was a 'gang up' mentality (I'm not trying to take away from the opinions expressed here, just the way they very much seemed to single Polly out). I for one, regret not coming to her defense. I had only made one comment on the thread and didn't feel it was my place. I won't make that mistake again next time I see a valued member attacked. The thing I love about this forum is the differing opinions, but surely these can be expressed without a perceived attack on any particular member?

Personally speaking, I thought it was a great shame for her to be steamrolled by a member who, as far as I have read, suffered a similar experience on the forums. After being on the receiving end, how does one then turn straight around and do the same?

I don't really think there was a gang up on anyone. A few disagreements of opinions, that might have gone into a personal level, and maybe some rude posts...but its an online forum. People are going to disagree with you no matter what, and sometime they will be rude.

If I ran away every time some told me I was wrong in a rude manner, I would have to basically end my life. That sucks if someones feeling got hurt but once again, its not like any realistic damage occured. I have no strong feeling for the person in question either way. I'm just saying come one people lets get a grip and realize what the reality of the situation is.

Now reading over the discussion I see that she did decide to leave. Good for her. :)

That was a discussion I stayed out of. I think a big part of the problem is that these discussions get into some theoretical realm that is all bull dinky. I have spent enough time in graduate school to know that it all becomes bull dinky after a while, it makes no sense and people make a living doing it. And I'm guilty of it. But wise to it at the same time.

Truth of the matter is many of my favorite drummers admittedly have bad technique but great feel. You don't need to do a lot of complex stuff when backing up a song. Wynton Marsalis didn't destroy jazz. Punk didn't destroy rock music. Pop music today is okay, no better of worse off than it ever was. Seth isn't over-marketing his product. Smooth jazz is jazz. There's nothing wrong with technical development for its own sake. The list go on . . .

I often wonder if we get involved in these discussions because there is some puritanical streak in us that seeks some sort of idealized perfection.

While she was a good contribution to the forum, I personally think this entire thing is getting blown out of proportion. The debate escalated to argument, and one party decided to just leave. Sure, she'll be missed by some but honestly, there are plenty of other posters that are just as insightful, probably more so, the only difference is that they have testes.

I mean, DW is just a forum, and she's just a poster in it. Is it really worth all the hullabaloo, or is DW starting to get a little caught up in itself?

Pollys gotten herself into some jams on this forum before.

This strikes me as a desperate move to get attention. When the debate didn't go the way she had hoped, she threatened to leave. Cry me a friggin river. Whatever?

Polly, We've talked about this before, right?

Average comes off with a condescending tone at times. The hehehe's come off just as badly. Stick with LOL or something.

Again, Whatever.

..... I personally think this entire thing is getting blown out of proportion.
No, read post #1. Last 2 sentences.
I know this will divide the forum, that's why I've posted this. Let's get it on!
It did exactly that. Like locking 2 cats in a closet, that you know hate each other, and then be supprised when the "outcome" isn't pretty.

Pretty pretty Pollyanna.

That thread should never ended up as it has i think it all got blown out of proportion, when i first read the post that kicked it all of yes I agree with him because some drummers become deluded and i have seen it, drummers with feel but little technical ability will knock drummers with tremendous technical ability but little feel which is wrong! I mentioned that my favourite drummers are drummers who have a lot of feel but also an adequate technical ability to convey something in music. However no one in that thread mentioned anything of the sort. I stated which one i preferred not which one is known to be best as a fact and i certainly didn't see any drummer proclaiming otherwise. Therefore i feel the comment was completely out of place. No drummers on that thread had made it into a chops vs groove debate, simplicity vs complexity had creeped in but only slightly. Even so, if someone had subtly tried to make it into a chops vs groove debate but no other member had noticed, the comment would have been better off unwritten because that drew attention to it, and it all fell apart from there. As a result we have lost 2 very respected members. I want you back Polly, you were the first member to really have a decent conversation with me on here and i feel i have learnt a lot through you. Your contributions are always valued highly and your joyful attitude really does brighten up this forum. HURRY UP AND COME BACK!!!!

Back